Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happens is the screen just locks up. Audio is still fine but the screen completely locks up. This happens before it does:

Bh4tizB.jpg


I have tried new drivers (driversweeper and ccleaner), disabling ULPS and I have tried stock and slightly overclocked/overvolted settings. So I am out of ideas now.

TY in advance for any help.

-BritishBob
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Noob View Post

If its not just in Planetside it might be worth checking the PSU or running the card at stock clocks and voltages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchet View Post

I sit just in planetside? Or does it happen in other games also?

(might need a re-install).
No it's most games. No way of really checking PSU. But it is a Corsair AX750. So it's got the correct amount of power....

I am thinking windows install but I really don't want to do that atm...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Try without an overclock at first and see how it goes.

Run a stress test on both the GPU (at stock voltages but with -25 core -50 memory) and CPU, to see if it locks up again; it will stress the PSU, so we might be able to rule it out.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,563 Posts
Before you reinstall windows, you may try and pull your 7970, and boot with the integrated HD3000 graphics. Try to run a game for a bit, and see what happens.

If it crashes still, its a software issue, and a windows reinstall might not be a bad idea. If it runs fine, its most likely with the 7970.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Well it lived through Heaven and Prime95 as the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchet View Post

Before you reinstall windows, you may try and pull your 7970, and boot with the integrated HD3000 graphics. Try to run a game for a bit, and see what happens.

If it crashes still, its a software issue, and a windows reinstall might not be a bad idea. If it runs fine, its most likely with the 7970.
Might do that at some point. Just not tonight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

You're throttling! I'm surprised you and no one else noticed?

How are you overclocking?

Are you using -xcl?

What exact gpu are you using? Got boost?
I wouldn't say hes throttling hes only at 60C.

His GPU usage seemed too sporadic for it to be loading levels or loading more of the world.

And the core clock kept jumping between roughly 500Mhz and 925MHz. 2d clocks?

Increase the fan speed maybe?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

You're throttling! I'm surprised you and no one else noticed?

How are you overclocking?

Are you using -xcl?

What exact gpu are you using? Got boost?
Reference Sapphire 7970. But it does it on both OC and stock clocks...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Noob View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

You're throttling! I'm surprised you and no one else noticed?

How are you overclocking?

Are you using -xcl?

What exact gpu are you using? Got boost?
I wouldn't say hes throttling hes only at 60C.

His GPU usage seemed too sporadic for it to be loading levels or loading more of the world.

And the core clock kept jumping between roughly 500Mhz and 925MHz. 2d clocks?

Increase the fan speed maybe?
headscratch.gif
rolleyes.gif


You are not... seeing the same things I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBob View Post

Reference Sapphire 7970. But it does it on both OC and stock clocks...
Finish answering the rest of my questions otherwise yer not giving me anything to work with.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

headscratch.gif
rolleyes.gif


You are not... seeing the same things I am.
Finish answering the rest of my questions otherwise yer not giving me anything to work with.
Msi Afterburner, but it still does it on stock...
No.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBob View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

headscratch.gif
rolleyes.gif


You are not... seeing the same things I am.
Finish answering the rest of my questions otherwise yer not giving me anything to work with.
Msi Afterburner, but it still does it on stock...
No. Config edit to unlock volts.
You're making ti really hard to help you. How are you using AB to overclock? Are you using official method with the beta AB? On that topic, what ver of AB is it?
 

·
Overclocked
Joined
·
3,988 Posts
BTW is your i5 2500K Overclocked ? revert that to stock and try, GPU usage fluctuation sometimes is related to CPU instability.
If not try running your GPU @ 925/1375 with slightly higher voltage, also I recommend downloading the latest driver to your sound card, if you played around your sound card settings make sure you have the sample rate at 48000, some games don't like values higher than that.
Also if these suggestions don't work, try attaching different PSU connectors to the card and reseat or put the card in another PCI-E .
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

You're making ti really hard to help you. How are you using AB to overclock? Are you using official method with the beta AB? On that topic, what ver of AB is it?
V 2.3.1
Forgive me being noob, but I go into AB and move the sliders... I have enable voltage control and have edited the config.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessKnight View Post

BTW is your i5 2500K Overclocked ? revert that to stock and try, GPU usage fluctuation sometimes is related to CPU instability.
If not try running your GPU @ 925/1375 with slightly higher voltage, also I recommend downloading the latest driver to your sound card, if you played around your sound card settings make sure you have the sample rate at 48000, some games don't like values higher than that.
Also if these suggestions don't work, try attaching different PSU connectors to the card and reseat or put the card in another PCI-E .
CPU is stock, audio drivers latest and at 48k,
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,557 Posts
You're playing windowed, so that will put you into a situation of competing powerstates. I still don't know how you are overclocking exactly when you mentioned editing the config. I assume you are using UOM, aka unofficial method which requires editing the config. The fix is probably as easy as changing the 1 to a 2. Changing to 2 allows AB to control clocks by ignoring Powerplay.

Look at the video in the 2nd post here.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1265543/the-amd-how-to-thread/0_40
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

You're playing windowed, so that will put you into a situation of competing powerstates. I still don't know how you are overclocking exactly when you mentioned editing the config. I assume you are using UOM, aka unofficial method which requires editing the config. The fix is probably as easy as changing the 1 to a 2. Changing to 2 allows AB to control clocks by ignoring Powerplay.

Look at the video in the 2nd post here.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1265543/the-amd-how-to-thread/0_40
According to my config:
UnofficialOverclockingEULA =
UnofficialOverclockingMode = 0
AccessibilityCheckingPeriod = 0
UnifiedMemoryUsageMonitoring = 1

Which I swear I had changed at some point.... And might explain a lot...
 

·
PC Evangelist
Joined
·
48,304 Posts
You said Reference HD 7970?
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top