Overclock.net banner

So I am now out of idea? 7970 Crashing after 1-5 mins of heavy use.

2K views 44 replies 11 participants last post by  BritishBob 
#1 ·
What happens is the screen just locks up. Audio is still fine but the screen completely locks up. This happens before it does:

Bh4tizB.jpg

I have tried new drivers (driversweeper and ccleaner), disabling ULPS and I have tried stock and slightly overclocked/overvolted settings. So I am out of ideas now.

TY in advance for any help.

-BritishBob

See less See more
#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Noob View Post

If its not just in Planetside it might be worth checking the PSU or running the card at stock clocks and voltages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchet View Post

I sit just in planetside? Or does it happen in other games also?

(might need a re-install).
No it's most games. No way of really checking PSU. But it is a Corsair AX750. So it's got the correct amount of power....

I am thinking windows install but I really don't want to do that atm...

#7 ·

Well it lived through Heaven and Prime95 as the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchet View Post

Before you reinstall windows, you may try and pull your 7970, and boot with the integrated HD3000 graphics. Try to run a game for a bit, and see what happens.

If it crashes still, its a software issue, and a windows reinstall might not be a bad idea. If it runs fine, its most likely with the 7970.
Might do that at some point. Just not tonight.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

You're throttling! I'm surprised you and no one else noticed?

How are you overclocking?

Are you using -xcl?

What exact gpu are you using? Got boost?
I wouldn't say hes throttling hes only at 60C.

His GPU usage seemed too sporadic for it to be loading levels or loading more of the world.

And the core clock kept jumping between roughly 500Mhz and 925MHz. 2d clocks?

Increase the fan speed maybe?

#11 ·
Quote:

Are you using -xcl?

Reference Sapphire 7970. But it does it on both OC and stock clocks...

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Noob View Post

Quote:

Are you using -xcl?

I wouldn't say hes throttling hes only at 60C.

His GPU usage seemed too sporadic for it to be loading levels or loading more of the world.

And the core clock kept jumping between roughly 500Mhz and 925MHz. 2d clocks?

Increase the fan speed maybe?
headscratch.gif
rolleyes.gif

You are not... seeing the same things I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBob View Post

Reference Sapphire 7970. But it does it on both OC and stock clocks...
Finish answering the rest of my questions otherwise yer not giving me anything to work with.

#14 ·
Quote:

headscratch.gif
rolleyes.gif

Finish answering the rest of my questions otherwise yer not giving me anything to work with.
Msi Afterburner, but it still does it on stock...
No.

#15 ·
Quote:

Quote:

headscratch.gif
rolleyes.gif

Msi Afterburner, but it still does it on stock...
No. Config edit to unlock volts.
You're making ti really hard to help you. How are you using AB to overclock? Are you using official method with the beta AB? On that topic, what ver of AB is it?

#16 ·
BTW is your i5 2500K Overclocked ? revert that to stock and try, GPU usage fluctuation sometimes is related to CPU instability.
If not try running your GPU @ 925/1375 with slightly higher voltage, also I recommend downloading the latest driver to your sound card, if you played around your sound card settings make sure you have the sample rate at 48000, some games don't like values higher than that.
Also if these suggestions don't work, try attaching different PSU connectors to the card and reseat or put the card in another PCI-E .

#17 ·
Quote:

You're making ti really hard to help you. How are you using AB to overclock? Are you using official method with the beta AB? On that topic, what ver of AB is it?
V 2.3.1
Forgive me being noob, but I go into AB and move the sliders... I have enable voltage control and have edited the config.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessKnight View Post

BTW is your i5 2500K Overclocked ? revert that to stock and try, GPU usage fluctuation sometimes is related to CPU instability.
If not try running your GPU @ 925/1375 with slightly higher voltage, also I recommend downloading the latest driver to your sound card, if you played around your sound card settings make sure you have the sample rate at 48000, some games don't like values higher than that.
Also if these suggestions don't work, try attaching different PSU connectors to the card and reseat or put the card in another PCI-E .
CPU is stock, audio drivers latest and at 48k,

#18 ·
You're playing windowed, so that will put you into a situation of competing powerstates. I still don't know how you are overclocking exactly when you mentioned editing the config. I assume you are using UOM, aka unofficial method which requires editing the config. The fix is probably as easy as changing the 1 to a 2. Changing to 2 allows AB to control clocks by ignoring Powerplay.

Look at the video in the 2nd post here.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1265543/the-amd-how-to-thread/0_40

#19 ·
Quote:

You're playing windowed, so that will put you into a situation of competing powerstates. I still don't know how you are overclocking exactly when you mentioned editing the config. I assume you are using UOM, aka unofficial method which requires editing the config. The fix is probably as easy as changing the 1 to a 2. Changing to 2 allows AB to control clocks by ignoring Powerplay.

According to my config:
UnofficialOverclockingEULA =
UnofficialOverclockingMode = 0
AccessibilityCheckingPeriod = 0
UnifiedMemoryUsageMonitoring = 1

Which I swear I had changed at some point.... And might explain a lot...

#20 ·
You said Reference HD 7970?

#21 ·
Quote:

Quote:

According to my config:
UnofficialOverclockingEULA =
AccessibilityCheckingPeriod = 0
UnifiedMemoryUsageMonitoring = 1

Which I swear I had changed at some point.... And might explain a lot...
LOL, you are not even using UOM, since you have it set to 0 which is off.

Change this:

to this:

UnofficialOverclockingMode = 2

Then restart AB. Make sure you have your profiles set properly... er AB should be off when you edit.

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

You said Reference HD 7970?
Yes, brought on release day...
Quote:

LOL, you are not even using UOM, since you have it set to 0 which is off.

Change this:

to this:

UnofficialOverclockingMode = 2

Then restart AB. Make sure you have your profiles set properly... er AB should be off when you edit.
I was... must have reinstalled at some point... /facepalm

#24 ·
Well under game load only 60C @ under 30% fan speed does not seem right to me. Can you try 100% speed and see what happens.

#25 ·
Use HWbot to check temps. If it's reaching high temps before crashing then you should apply new TIM. That helped with a reference 7970 I once had.

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

Well under game load only 60C @ under 30% fan speed does not seem right to me. Can you try 100% speed and see what happens.
Accelero Xtreme...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.