Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Microcenter was running a deal a few days ago on an e6320 processor, 1gb of ram, and an intel 965OT mobo. For the three, it was under $100.. and while I could've used that 100 on my sig rig towards a better monitor, I jumped on this.

So now.. I'm trying to figure out just what to do with this puppy. I have a few hard drives laying around I could use with this setup.

I'm considering setting this up as a 24/7 folding box.. or perhaps stepping towards a HTPC with the setup. I'm not, however, looking to do anything drastic (ridiculous OC, watercooling, etc...) with the build.

Also, the combo itself is on backorder right now.. and if it doesn't ship, i'll just hop back in update/close this thread.

So I'm curious folks... what, if you had this little leftover setup, would you do with it? I'll browse over the thread for a few days and then put up a build log to keep track of it if you're interested.

edit: I'm open to dual boot/ubuntu/win7 (if this little setup would push it)/xp

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Make a HTPC + File Server + Router combo.

• Rep+
Reactions: trogalicious

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Sod the fold, Gamer server

Put a stink load of old HDD's in it and sell it for three times what you spent on it.

Win

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Make a HTPC + File Server + Router combo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by samfreese View Post
Those are fun. I'm currently working on a file server/router combo. definitely a neat project

Any tips/tricks/recommendations or links to others that have gone that direction would be greatly welcomed guys. Thanks for the replies so far.

also, any micro atx recommendations? I'm actually looking at the antec mini-p180. It's a slick looking little case, but I'm open to any ideas if any of you have had experience building in a micro atx format.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
If this is going to be a HTPC.... do you plan on placing it in your living room or next to your TV?

• Rep+
Reactions: trogalicious

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

If this is going to be a HTPC.... do you plan on placing it in your living room or next to your TV?

...no, I'm planning on running cables out to my tv. I'm planning on stepping up to a wireless keyboard (possibly a logitech dinovo) and running it solely from that from another room.

also, I found your thread on the custom router... +rep for that thread as a whole.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the responses guys, but microcenter just cancelled the order due to.. well.. I don't think they had any more of these combos. Maybe next time, right? +rep for the ideas/posts/recommendations though.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaoFX
View Post

haha so you get your money back and everything is good now

yah, at least they never charged me for it. Looks like I have some more cash to throw towards a better LCD than what I have.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
those microcenter fools have that combo back in. Oddly, they cancelled my order when it was $105.. but got it back in stock a week later for $300+... yeah, I realize it's business, but that's crap.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illusion Of Progress
View Post

But its still cancelled, right

oh absolutely. What irks me, though, is that I actually called to check the status.. if they thought they were going to replenish that stock...

"no, it doesn't look like that is going to be in stock any time soon"

At least I'm not showing a random $300 gone from my account... heads would roll.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Well now that you are looking at an LCD, I recommend this Acer 23" (unless your looking towards bigger then 1080) I bought it this weekend from Best Buy for $219 + tax and now its $299 on their site! I love mine so far
huge upgrade from my 17"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts