Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my Nexus One apart to try and fix an issue I was having with the trackball. To make a stupid story short, I ended up ripping a connector off one of the ribbon cables in the process. It's kind of mangled, so I'm not too hopeful on being able to fix the broken connector. The lesson here is, don't try to fix your electronics while inebriated...

Soooo.... I need to start looking for a new phone. I have T-Mobile and don't plan on switching, and I'm currently using a basic flip phone.. I'm looking at either the G2 that should be coming early next month, or possibly trying to wait for a WP7 phone. I like the fact that the G2 is basically a Nexus One with a keyboard, but I'm eager to try out WP7 as well. I liked WP7 quite a bit when I saw it at PAX. I'm a little worried that WP7 won't have apps for some time, but TBH I wasn't really blown away by the quantity or quality of Android apps (especially games).

Any suggestions, recommendations? Opinions to sway me one way or another?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
get a cheap hd2 and slap android on it, or there is the galaxy s (aka: Vibrant) or the g2

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
A few thoughts

WP7 will have less and worse apps for quite a while, at least until it gains traction, while, even in the past week or two, several big iOS game devs have started porting thier games to android (Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Mini squadron, and other open feint games).

The G2 looks great, as does the Vibrant, both powerful phones indeed.

Android is available now

Then again, WP7 might be fun to try out. I personally would look at one of the android devices. Heck, if you like WP7, you could probably sell the other one, and buy a WP7 phone off contract for not much more than what you sell the other phone for. Consider it a smart phone rental fee till WP7 comes out if that ends up being oyur OS of choice.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxhudson
View Post

evo

is a sprint phone only. cdma not gsm

·
Registered
156 Posts
You can always go on ebay and find the ribbon cable you want for like 2 bucks and fix your phone, then sell it for 300 or so and get yourself a G2. I'd say wait for the G2 because first of all, the new build of Sense that it's packing is highly optimized and boots in under 10 seconds, and this is on an 800mhz snapdragon (which will prolly be overclockable come root time). You can get an HD2, unlock it, and slap android on it, but it won't be as seamless of an experience as the G2 or even a Vibrant would. The Vibrant is a great phone, it just isn't much of a step up from your Nexus...

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by carpcmelee
View Post

You can always go on ebay and find the ribbon cable you want for like 2 bucks and fix your phone, then sell it for 300 or so and get yourself a G2. I'd say wait for the G2 because first of all, the new build of Sense that it's packing is highly optimized and boots in under 10 seconds, and this is on an 800mhz snapdragon (which will prolly be overclockable come root time). You can get an HD2, unlock it, and slap android on it, but it won't be as seamless of an experience as the G2 or even a Vibrant would. The Vibrant is a great phone, it just isn't much of a step up from your Nexus...

G2 doesn't run sense, its stock, unless they announced different recently. The Desire Z (european G2) does run sense however (similiar to the Desire-N1 relationship)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I would just look for a replacement cable. That would be a lot cheaper then buying a new phone. Look on the cable to see if it has a part number on it. If it does just do a Google search for a replacement.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Get the G2. Android is getting some good games now that openfeint is on board. This week we got fruit ninja, mini squadron and flick kick.

The G2 is also a 3d powerhouse, much better at 3d than your nexus one.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I think the G2 is just 800 mhz, and Id stick with a Nexus One. Can't go wrong with a phone that Google develops on (and completely supports with fast updates).

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by t3lancer2006 View Post
I think the G2 is just 800 mhz, and Id stick with a Nexus One. Can't go wrong with a phone that Google develops on (and completely supports with fast updates).
It's an 800mhz processor with a newer architechure and gpu, supposedly putting it in range of the Droid Line, which are far more powerful than the nexus.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Bummer about your Nexus One, I remember your thread when you were shopping for phones in the first place. My Nexus One is still working strong and loving it.

Kind of curious though, how much money did you spend on applications? Because if you went with another Android phone, you wouldn't have to buy all of them again because the app purchases are tied to your gmail account.

I'd go with something like the G2 or the Vibrant. Could always try to contact HTC about it and see if they could do something for you? I hear HTC has amazing customer service so, might be worth a shot. Depending on how much your pocket is burning

1 - 13 of 13 Posts