Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I'm loving it. It's on my sig rig.

I had Vista, it was okay. Upgraded to 7, and despised it. Everything I try to do it either gives me a "Here, let me help you install this program! Do you know what a Hard Drive is?" or "Are you absolutely SURE you want to make a copy of your documents onto a flashdrive? Might be dangerous, and delete your computer, yo."

So, I installed XP Professional SP3, and I love it. Nothing to get in my way, more intuitive, doesn't seem like an OS for idiots who shouldn't be allowed to use a computer, etc.

In Vista and 7, they try to hide all of the advanced features as not to scare or intimidate people, and put everything in a super simple, dumbed-down menu system.

So yeah, I went from Windows 7 to XP.

*puts on flamesuit*

·
Banned
10,292 Posts
all of that stuff they put on 7 is for grandmas and you can just turn it off completely with the simple hit of a button.

·
Premium Member
20,476 Posts
I have XP on several of my systems and like it just fine.

Mind you I have 7 on my gaming rig to benefit from DX11.

Did you trying disabling UAC? Once you do that, much of the irritating pop up inquiries go away.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You do know you can turn off all them annoying questions by turning off UAC in the windows 7 control panel?

Edit: Ninja'd by all of the above

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robilar
View Post

Did you trying disabling UAC? Once you do that, much of the irritating pop up inquiries go away.

This.

I hated XP, coming from 95/98...finally after a few years it was streamlined and everyone memorized where Microsoft moved everything to and renamed it...granted 95 was quite rough too. 98 was okay, and ME was a nightmare.

I wouldn't trade 7 for XP...still running XP Home on my netbook as it don't have the power to run 7 and the drivers for everything only exist for XP I think.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Ya bro you need a flame suit because you went through the whole process of installing and uninstalling for something you could have taken care of in like 4 clicks.
You are over thinking things.
Although if you dont game then I suggest linux.

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ysbl
View Post

And I'm loving it. It's on my sig rig.

I had Vista, it was okay. Upgraded to 7, and despised it. Everything I try to do it either gives me a "Here, let me help you install this program! Do you know what a Hard Drive is?" or "Are you absolutely SURE you want to make a copy of your documents onto a flashdrive? Might be dangerous, and delete your computer, yo."

So, I installed XP Professional SP3, and I love it. Nothing to get in my way, more intuitive, doesn't seem like an OS for idiots who shouldn't be allowed to use a computer, etc.

In Vista and 7, they try to hide all of the advanced features as not to scare or intimidate people, and put everything in a super simple, dumbed-down menu system.

So yeah, I went from Windows 7 to XP.

*puts on flamesuit*

Disable UAC... just like you did in Vista.

10 year old OS is still a 10 year old OS.

EDIT: Understanding Windows 7's God Mode

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
It's called UAC. Shut it off.

I can't go back to XP after using 7

·
Registered
65 Posts
I turned UAC off for a while back in the day, but now have it on. I sort of like it, it ensures that malicious programs are unable to get admin privileges on their own, kind of nice. Also its nice knowing when I launch stuff to know if they are making changes to files in places where admin is required... its all personal preference though

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Trying connecting to the internet on a XP computer with no updates or antivirus and then trying connecting to the internet with 7. I bet you in 10 secs your XP install will be corrupted and inaccessible while 7 is still up and kicking. XP was great in its time but its really gotten to the point where it just needs to be taking behind the shed and put down.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts