Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So having just ordered a XtremeMusic off Amazon, I think I should upgrade my headphones too. A few months back I did buy some HD201's for like $30 because I heard they were good budget headphones for gaming/music. I got them and they sound great on my iPod, but for some odd reason I can't get them loud on my PC. Even with volume at 100% both in the game and in Windows I could not get them to an acceptable volume level. I figured it was onboard sound so I just used them on my iPod from then on.

I heard that the HA-RX series from JVC was a good budget headphone, but how do they compare to what is out there? I want to at least wait until my XtremeMusic comes in and give the HD201's another go but I may want to switch to something else if they don't work out.

Anyhow the specs of what I have now are:

Quote:
Unit Type Electro Dynamic Round Type Micro Speaker
Frequency Response 50Hz ~ 20KHz
Sound Pressure Level 89 dB ± 3 dB at 50mW
Impedance 16 Ohm at 1KHz
Nominal Power 0.02W
Maximum Power 0.15W
I am not sure if this is good or bad because I am not a big in-depth audio person, but it can't be that great considering they are some crappy Zalman headphones I got from a friend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,860 Posts
Here's the way I see it, the value of the headphones should be equal to the sound card (except for skull candy). Thats what I've gone by, and that way you know your not over doing it on your hardware.

Keep the HD201's
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:


Originally Posted by SilverPotato
View Post

Here's the way I see it, the value of the headphones should be equal to the sound card (except for skull candy). Thats what I've gone by, and that way you know your not over doing it on your hardware.

Keep the HD201's

Well considering the sound card was only $30, I would say I can break a bit on that. I mean yeah I want something that is budget but I don't want something on an endcap at Walmart.

I am a very serious gamer, I play for money and prizes both online and at LAN. So audio isn't really something I should skimp out on. I have been using sub-par audio ever since I started playing FPS games back in 1999, and I think it has been holding me back from being at the top of my game.

Although a $30 sound card isn't that much, it is still a step in the right direction.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:


Originally Posted by the_milk_man
View Post

What kinds of money do u wanna spend on the headphones? $100-ish? $200-ish? $300-ish?

A lot of ppl will probably recommend the sannheiser 555's.

Na not that much. Besides the problem is I will most likely be buying them online, and I have nowhere local to test them... so I am just buying them blind. And doing that will end up costing me if I return them.

I want to try to keep it under $100 since I only spent $30 on the card.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:


Originally Posted by BlackOmega
View Post

You do realize that the XFI extreme music cost $130 new right?

Yeah I know it is normally more expensive but that's why I hadn't bought it in the past, and am buying it now because it was only $30.
 

·
Old ain't dead
Joined
·
2,779 Posts
I will vouch for the JVC HA-RX900's. SOLID headphones, amazing price.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:


Originally Posted by THEoBZ
View Post

I will vouch for the JVC HA-RX900's. SOLID headphones, amazing price.

When you say solid do you mean the sound or literally the build quality of them?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,183 Posts
They are plently of great headphones sub $100.

What are your music tastes?
Gaming? Music? both?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:


Originally Posted by chinesekiwi
View Post

They are plently of great headphones sub $100.

What are your music tastes?
Gaming? Music? both?

As far as music goes, I listen to mostly rock (classic, hard, alternative, metal, etc.), electronic (drum & bass, house, trance, etc.), some rap, mostly everything.

I will be using them for competitive gaming too, both in my quiet room and at loud LAN's so I need them to be somewhat noise isolating. I already have a clip-on mic so that is no problem.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,806 Posts
Semper fidelis, when looking for headphones make sure you get circumaural headphones, also known as "full size" or studio headphones. Even the cheapest circumaural headphones have superior noise canceling qualities than non circumaural ones.

As for which to get, no clue. Here is a "best picks" for this particular website.

Hope this helps.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,988 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Semper Fidelis
View Post

As far as music goes, I listen to mostly rock (classic, hard, alternative, metal, etc.), electronic (drum & bass, house, trance, etc.), some rap, mostly everything.

I will be using them for competitive gaming too, both in my quiet room and at loud LAN's so I need them to be somewhat noise isolating. I already have a clip-on mic so that is no problem.

Sir, I recommend the JVC HA-RX900 or RX700 for you. They're solid headphones in both sound quality and build quality for their price range and I can personally attest to the gaming and music capabilities of both. I definitely prefer the RX900 for gaming though because it has a larger soundstage and has a more "concert hall" feel to it. The bass is a bit boomy out of the box before modding and is nowhere near as accurate as my HA-DX3, but the DX3 is twice the price and requires an amp. If you're not picky though, I think you'll find the RX900 quite an enjoyable headphone.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:


Originally Posted by RallyMaster
View Post

Sir, I recommend the JVC HA-RX900 or RX700 for you. They're solid headphones in both sound quality and build quality for their price range and I can personally attest to the gaming and music capabilities of both. I definitely prefer the RX900 for gaming though because it has a larger soundstage and has a more "concert hall" feel to it. The bass is a bit boomy out of the box before modding and is nowhere near as accurate as my HA-DX3, but the DX3 is twice the price and requires an amp. If you're not picky though, I think you'll find the RX900 quite an enjoyable headphone.

Isn't the HA-RX900 closed though? I thought closed headphones don't have big soundstages?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyMaster View Post
It may be closed but from my experience, it has a big enough soundstage for gaming. Not all open headphones have large soundstages either. It's a matter of taste and getting used to what you own. Personally I've been accustomed to gaming on closed headphones.
The headphones I have now have always appeared closed to me, but recently I have realized how easily I can hear everything with them on. I kind of need closed backs though for LAN's.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey just out of curiosity do you know of any chain stores like Best Buy or Walmart that would have the JVC headphones where I buy them and that way if I don't like them I can just return them without having to worry about any return shipping or whatever.

I just hate buying stuff like headphones online without getting to hear them first, because then it costs me money just to get rid of them once I get them.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top