Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did i make a bad choice?? im replacing my m4a89gtd pro/usb3 , and i bought this one mainly for a few reasons.
1. it looks super badass. lol
2. it has bluetooth
3. Lucid technology

now im reading some reviews and people are saying lucid sucks, and the extreme boards NB runs way too hot.

dammit. i feel like ive been raped or something.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spykerv
View Post

Wouldn't you say a gtx 470 is overkill for physx? I mean unless you plan on switching out cards constantly that is.

well i already have it, so i might as well hang on to it. and instead of throwing it in the closet ill just use it. and with the lucid chip you dont use physx, it combines both GPU cores for better performance.

ill try it out, if it doesnt work or is full of problems ill sell one of them.

and technically its a GTX465, but its one of those early ones with all the ram chips, and i unlocked it to a 470. overclocks awesome! i love it.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewblue83
View Post

well i already have it, so i might as well hang on to it. and instead of throwing it in the closet ill just use it. and with the lucid chip you dont use physx, it combines both GPU cores for better performance.

ill try it out, if it doesnt work or is full of problems ill sell one of them.

and technically its a GTX465, but its one of those early ones with all the ram chips, and i unlocked it to a 470. overclocks awesome! i love it.

Wouldn't it have been more practically to just buy a second 470? And with the 6xxx coming out so soon why'd your purchase? No accusing your or trolling oe anything just wondering as to what your reasons are. And what does combining gpu cores mean? I thought that's the purpose of cfx and sli, but you need to have the same cards for those (as I'm sure 100% of OCN already knows)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spykerv View Post
Wouldn't it have been more practically to just buy a second 470? And with the 6xxx coming out so soon why'd your purchase? No accusing your or trolling oe anything just wondering as to what your reasons are. And what does combining gpu cores mean? I thought that's the purpose of cfx and sli, but you need to have the same cards for those (as I'm sure 100% of OCN already knows)

well i really liked the 5870, and with the new cards coming out, i got this brand new for 350, way better price than the 500 they were just a month ago. when the 6xxx series come out, im sure theyll be super expensive for a while. and im sure the drivers will suck for the first 6 months. so ill go with what works.

and with the new Lucid Hydra chip on the crosshair iv extreme board, it allows you to combine GPU cores from different vendors. so its like crossfiring the 5870 with the gtx470.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have one, and its a great overlcocker, the northbound is literally icey cold, no heat issues there..

I'm having a problem installing the lucid graphics driver though.. its driving me crazy.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by redhat_ownage View Post
its more efficient to use 2 nvidia cards with hydra sli disabled
and 2 ati cards with hydra crossfire diabled
there are little gains from pairing an ati and nvidia cards
But can all 4 process at the same time. Or can you have Nvidia SLI and AMD cfx simultaneously enabled and that would prove better?

And to OP: sweet board! Congratulations!

·
Registered
103 Posts
back to your original question...I'm not so sure it was a good buy. You already had a board with the 890FX chipset, and with Bulldozer/Sandy Bridge coming out soon, I see no reason to have rushed into the upgrade. Is it a good board? No doubt, pretty much all of Asus's boards are. Is it a good buy? Probably not. While the LUCID Chip certainly gives you bragging rights, it needs some serious ironing out. Crossfire and SLI both scale much better. Yes, you have the most awesome board on the market. Functionally, your decision was questionable at best. Your 350(ish) USD would have been better saved for 2 of the new 68xx series cards to put in crossfire, a soon-to-be-released 1100T processor, or a Socket AM3+ board when they come out.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Lucid blows absolute ass.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tquintana2
View Post

back to your original question...I'm not so sure it was a good buy. You already had a board with the 890FX chipset, and with Bulldozer/Sandy Bridge coming out soon, I see no reason to have rushed into the upgrade. Is it a good board? No doubt, pretty much all of Asus's boards are. Is it a good buy? Probably not. While the LUCID Chip certainly gives you bragging rights, it needs some serious ironing out. Crossfire and SLI both scale much better. Yes, you have the most awesome board on the market. Functionally, your decision was questionable at best. Your 350(ish) USD would have been better saved for 2 of the new 68xx series cards to put in crossfire, a soon-to-be-released 1100T processor, or a Socket AM3+ board when they come out.

68xx are probably going to cost more than 350 when they first come out though....

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i installed the board. i LOVE the way it looks. im super happy with the purchase. i dont plan on unpgrading to bulldozer. ill probably by a thuban when they get cheaper.

but so far so good. yes i think lucid does suck lol. im gonna try to sell the gtx and get another 5870.

but this board definitely kicks ass.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewblue83 View Post
well i installed the board. i LOVE the way it looks. im super happy with the purchase. i dont plan on unpgrading to bulldozer. ill probably by a thuban when they get cheaper.

but so far so good. yes i think lucid does suck lol. im gonna try to sell the gtx and get another 5870.

but this board definitely kicks ass.
Are you able to install the hydra chipset drivers?

I'm having a hard time with this.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroslutsamus View Post
Are you able to install the hydra chipset drivers?

I'm having a hard time with this.
yea i think it went ok. they installed, and the hydra logo comes up when im playing a game, so im pretty sure that means its working. honestly though, i dont think it was worth it. lol. i just dont think nvidia and ati were meant to play nice with each other.

im gonna try to sell the GTX, my cooler master v10 and my m4a89gtd mobo and get a second 5870 and just crossfire it the old fashioned way.

in all honesty though, for me, this board was worth the money in aesthetics alone. because i have a black and red haf932. so now my pc is just perfect. ill take some pics as soon as i clean up the wiring.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts