Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I've always been an Apple fan when it comes to phones, never really was interested in mobiles until I got my 3G, which I then Jailbroke, unlocked and went to town on. And fell in love with iOS.

I know a hell of a lot about iOS and iPhones, but almost nothing about Android. I love the simplicity of iOS, but also the customisation/depth I get with Jailbreaking and such. I've become very fluent in the workings/system goings on/jailbreaking of iPhones that it's become second nature to me. A little boring if I'm honest.

I currently have a White iPhone 4, Jailbroken, unlocked, and highly customised to my liking, in both aesthetic configuration and system configuration.

I've wanted to try android for a while, but never known where to really start. I want a fast phone, but nothing too fancy. I don't want a budget lame bottom end android phone (Girlfriend had a ZTE, no thanks
), but at the same time I only want to try it for a few weeks, root it, have a play, and give iOS a rest for a bit. So I don't want to spend loads.

I'll sum it up:

I want an Android phone to play with. It'll be my first one which I base my impressions on. I'd like a fast Processor (dual core?), and a decent amount of RAM, as well as the ability to run customs roms and be rooted with ease. I'd like it to be a smooth, snappy experience. Preferably a fully touch screen phone. With a nice, crisp screen. (Maybe OLED? Not sure if that's my price range.

I don't mind buying used (especially from OCN
), or overseas, although I don't really want to spend more than £180. Maybe £200 max.

I'm on Orange UK, on a contract, so unlocked/unlockable would be best, then I can just take the sim out of my phone and pop it in the 'droid.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mad Mule
View Post

I'm sure everybody will point you over to this phone: http://www.overclock.net/hardware-ne...neak-peak.html

That looks expensive. And new.

As I said, I'm only looking for a semi-new starting point for learning about Android, it's workings and rooting and such, I wouldn't be switching to it. (not yet anyhow
)

I'm pretty sure that'd be overkill, as well as over budget.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oupavoc
View Post

well you have a lot of options, you have the Samsung Nexus S, GS, GSII, Nexus Prime a few HTC's. SE Arc

Links/specs/Pro's/Con's/prices?

I really am lost when it comes to Android phones.

·
How many volts!?
3,430 Posts
Well since your AT&T I can't really say much.

The Atrix is a solid phone.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

·
SpaceStationGaming
9,430 Posts
Nexus S/Galaxy S/EVO i would say are your best options in that price range!

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
HTC Sensation or a Galaxy SII are probably the best options at the moment, not sure what's out in the coming months but I'd assume you want something now.

Personally I can recommend the Sensation, great phone - now with an unlocked, or at least unlockable bootloader.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mad Mule
View Post

I'm sure everybody will point you over to this phone: http://www.overclock.net/hardware-ne...neak-peak.html

That's not going to be £180, no way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oupavoc
View Post

well you have a lot of options, you have the Samsung Nexus S, GS, GSII, Nexus Prime a few HTC's. SE Arc

The Nexus S and the Galaxy S maybe, but the SII is expensive and the Prime will be expensive when it comes out.

I'd say have a look at a few offerings from Samsung and HTC, who as you probably know are the two biggest Android phone manufacturers (at least I think so
)

HTC:
Desire HD & Desire S
Incredible S (perhaps might be too pricey, though)

Samsung:
Galaxy S (perhaps Galaxy S Plus too), Galaxy Ace
Nexus S (it's actually branded as a Google phone, but it's made by Samsung)

You could also take a look at the Sony Ericsson Xperia phones, like the Arc. I personally don't like the look of them much despite having owned several SE non-smart phones in the past. They just don't look as nice as the HTC and Samsung offerings, both in hardware and software.

I'm assuming that you'll be playing about with rooting and so on?

Also, take a look here. Even if you don't want to buy a phone from there, it gives you a good idea of what phones are out there and how much they're going for in the used market. Although at the moment there do seem to be a ton of Sensations and SIIs.

EDIT: Miki, Fusion, the Galaxy SII and the Sensation are around £280-£350 used. For something to play around with for a bit if you're not sure you want to stick with Android, that's a lotta dough.

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellis
View Post

HTC:
Desire HD & Desire S
Incredible S (perhaps might be too pricey, though)

EDIT: Miki, Fusion, the Galaxy SII and the Sensation are around £280-£350 used. For something to play around with for a bit if you're not sure you want to stick with Android, that's a lotta dough.

Wouldn't bother with the HD, especially if the Desire can be had for the same sort of money. Same resolution screen, but on the HD its a lot bigger and therefore looks a lot worse.

Just suggested those in case a bargain could be found, they're certainly worth trying to get anyway. Next choice would be a Desire or Desire S though.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Samsung Captivate. Under $200 on ebay. Mine was $120 in perfect condition a few months ago. Cheaper than Galaxy S, though the Vibrant may have a better set of bands. If all else fails, you can do a little overclocking, but the roms out are generally fine at 1Ghz. It has 512MB of ram, 368 for user use, and a 800x480 AMOLED screen. A dual core phone will most likely be over budget.

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miki;15205926
Personally, I'd go with the Galaxy S II. The only issue I have with the Nexus Prime (Galaxy Nexus) is that the screen is way too big, 4.65". o_O
I got one, and i love it! SGS 2 all the way!

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337LutZ;15206367
I got one, and i love it! SGS 2 all the way!
My dad has one. It's awesome, but it's way too expensive to buy as a SIM free phone if you ask me.

·
SpaceStationGaming
9,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by importflip;15206723
I'd have to say a Galaxy S II.
Guys he's looking for a CHEAP android phone. Are people reading his post or just replying? -_-

As I said in my previous post, just go with a Galaxy S or a Evo. Took out the Nexus S, thought it could be found cheaper but I was wrong.

·
Premium Member
7,040 Posts
People will reccommend you all the new phones waffle, but trust me on this, if you want to get into the casual developing side of it the slightly older phones are much better. Therefore, I suggest the HTC desire or the nexus one, I have a desire myself and the dev support is absolutely huge... but the best thing would be the price, everybody would be starting to sell them now and for not that much as well
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miki;15205926
Personally, I'd go with the Galaxy S II. The only issue I have with the Nexus Prime (Galaxy Nexus) is that the screen is way too big, 4.65". o_O
Screen is big yes, but the body will be the same size as a SGSII
smile.gif

Go wit ha SGSII
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jackeyjoe
View Post

People will reccommend you all the new phones waffle, but trust me on this, if you want to get into the casual developing side of it the slightly older phones are much better. Therefore, I suggest the HTC desire or the nexus one, I have a desire myself and the dev support is absolutely huge... but the best thing would be the price, everybody would be starting to sell them now and for not that much as well

Also, I'm thinking of getting an HTC HD2 myself. Whilst it may run Windows Mobile out of the box, the dev support is once again huge, and you can install Android straight onto the internal NAND memory, so it will act just like a dedicated Android phone.

Actually, didn't you use SKl's one when you met him?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts