Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*This thread in no way shape or form is meant to be perceived as an attack on PC gaming and only express my opinion (If you care or not)*

The way I see it, PC gaming is declining due to piracy. There is no denying that this "Piracy" has had put PC gaming in a downward spiral. Although we do have major supporters such as Valve with Steam (Which I love) trying to fend off the pirates, I still IMO believe the end is inevitable.

The hardware upgrades are also a pain to keep up with but it could be worth it for the extra content (Mods) PC gamers receive. The only games that have really stuck with me through the years have been ones based off the source engine. Such as CSS, DODS and Zombie Panic. I feel I now no longer need to upgrade and spend ridiculous amounts of cash on Gpus, Cpus, Ram and Mobos. It also seems like more and more games are giving the shaft to the PC platform....

I don't know about you, but this rig / system will be my last

Whats your take on the matter?

·
Premium Member
6,842 Posts
I used to play a lot of gaming, now the only ones left I play are Flight Simulator X and Call of Duty (obviously).

Console gaming had all the kids, I hate kids (<12). They all have names "NOOBPWNZ00R50983475690" and the whole game is bunny hopping and your-mom jokes. (This is what ruined Halo).

After the FAIL of Halo 3 (After Christmas of 2007, EVERY KID ON THE PLANET got Halo 3), I traded away my 360 and went PC full time. Unfortunately, once games get cheap enough and mommy and daddy buy them some PoS eMachines so that they can run Vista... meh.... they start to flood PC now too :<

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diabolical999
View Post

FYI, people pirate console games too at a high percentage.

I know but there is no denying that it hurt the PC gamimg community more catastrophically

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian
View Post

I feel your pain... and so does my wallet.

^^THIS^^

Also, I have a pet peeve. I like immersive RPG. Story-line driven (not Grind), awesome engine based, good looking RPG. I fell in love with Guild Wars in June of 2005. I played religiously for 3 years. They told us that they were going to blow our minds and let us play non-humans when Factions would release... they lied. They told us that they were going to revolutionize game-play when Nightfall would release... yawn.

Then they started teasing us with GW2. They said, no more new content for GW, all their time and effort would be spent making GW2 and it would launch in 2009... er, Q1 2010... um, Q3 2010, that is, Q2 2011... sorry guys, we have postponed GW2 launch indefinitely. Oh, by the way, we won't make any new GW content either....

What's this, though, something called Tabulae Rosa?? And now something called Aion... that is pay-for-play?????

I think that you all are starting to grasp my pet-peeve. Oh, yeah, and grind.. I HATE GRIND!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
i've tried sticking to console gaming for a while, but it just doesn't feel right. Mostly because I love RTS games, I guess

·
Nobody
6,465 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwIsTeDbOi
View Post

I once bought a 360. Then my laptop woke me up one night with a knife. I since then sold my 360.

I just don't like controllers, I have too fat of hands

But I enjoy the games that are still making their way to PC, ArmaII, WiC, oh crap that's all........

Dang ports. I love the olden days when devs thought of us pc gamers first and were like "we have to make this good". Now they just seem to go "here whatever it is".

·
OOF
2,339 Posts
I have been thinking about the same thing as you too, but it's the evolution of computers that still keeps me interested to see what the future will be like with computers, although this might be totally off topic but that's what keeping me playing computer games, plus the joyfulness of procrastinating

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I see what you mean bud, spending $2000 to build a computer to play a few games for 2-4 years doesn't seem sane to some people, i just do it because it keeps me outta trouble and keeps me busy..along with building computers. My parents hate the fact that i dont go out as much as other kids but i dont like going to parties where cops are kickin in doors and stuff..oh well, once my GTX 280 OC's go out i may leave the PC gaming realm too. or i may upgrade and keep on truckin' it all depends on what the future holds..but good luck to you

·
Registered
825 Posts
I here ya. I've considered dropping computers...but I've fallen in love with case modding. It's more about making my computer look cool than playing video games. Although, I do love me some TF2....and that's about it....well, and Trine.....somehow got addicted to that game.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I'm pretty much in the same boat, that this PC will be my last, at least for a long time. I'm even considering downgrading to put some cash back in my wallet.

Most of the games I'm interested are coming out on consoles, but I'll still have this PC which will be able to keep up for a few years I'm sure. As it stands now, both my PC and consoles are becoming media centers more than anything, I spend more time watching movies and listening to music, I can't justify keeping up with hardware anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
I built this machine to game on

I spend most of my time here at OCN while it Folds, though....

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
for me, the hardware is half the fun, tweaking and building and volting is awesome in my mind pushing hard for a higher stable clock just to say you got it is a ton of fun

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
The VCR didn't destroy television. I'll just leave it at that.

I have a 360 and play it less than my PC games, but it's different and fun. I have my eye on a PC game, can't recall the name at the moment, that's still in devel. PC games didn't die, just your enthusiasm for them.

As long as there is money to be made, there will be PC games. Some will suck, some will not. C'est la vie.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If consoles games had keyboard and mouse support, I'd be 110% a console gamer at this point

1 - 20 of 154 Posts