Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, unfortunately my Mom get into a very bad car accident. FORTUNATELY she's not seriously injured, just has bad whiplash and is bruised badly.

Of course, the person who's fault this is insurance is going to give her money for the damage done to the car and I also just so happened to have left two of my old guitars in the trunk, so money for those too. My uncle is giving my Mom a car so she doesn't have to use the insurance money to get another car, and she's giving me the money.

TL;DR

I'm going to use this money to build my rig farther, but I have questions, and need recommendations.

#1. Is it possible to get a motherboard that supports an AMD chip and an Intel chip? Reason I ask this is because I don't know how much I'm getting, so I'm wondering if it would be possible to just get a mobo that supports the X6, and then upgrade to an i7 down the line if I just so happen to not get enough money.

#2. Based off whatever the answer to question #1 is, I'm looking for a motherboard that supports DDR3 RAM. I want a decent motherboard of course that's decent for overclocking, but nothing extremely expensive, please! I can't say what I'd be willing to spend, but it's definitely not anymore than probably $150 for a mobo.

#3. I'm looking for quality DDR3 RAM that would be compatible with my MOBO. My budget for RAM is tight also... I was thinking one of these for the time being? - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-310-_-Product

#4. So now that we have the mobo and RAM picked out, we find out if I have the money capabilities to go with - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-225-_-Product

If I don't meet the budget based on the amount of money I get, should I just go X6?

TL;DR #2.

Basically, I want to be able to get an i7 + DDR3 + Mobo. That's what I want, bad.

I'm looking for the cheapest way to get those 3, but also still maintain a great gaming rig.. And by great, I don't mean amazing FPS or performance, but definitely better than what I have now.

-- Obviously we won't be able to tell if I can go i7 yet because I don't know how much I'm getting yet, but please.. Just post all of your recommendations whether it be i7 or x6!

Thanks everyone! Rep will be given accordingly because I'm excited and want to get this ball rolling.

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Peen View Post
Well, unfortunately my Mom get into a very bad car accident. FORTUNATELY she's not seriously injured, just has bad whiplash and is bruised badly.

Of course, the person who's fault this is insurance is going to give her money for the damage done to the car and I also just so happened to have left two of my old guitars in the trunk, so money for those too. My uncle is giving my Mom a car so she doesn't have to use the insurance money to get another car, and she's giving me the money.

TL;DR

I'm going to use this money to build my rig farther, but I have questions, and need recommendations.

#1. Is it possible to get a motherboard that supports an AMD chip and an Intel chip? Reason I ask this is because I don't know how much I'm getting, so I'm wondering if it would be possible to just get a mobo that supports the X6, and then upgrade to an i7 down the line if I just so happen to not get enough money.

#2. Based off whatever the answer to question #1 is, I'm looking for a motherboard that supports DDR3 RAM. I want a decent motherboard of course that's decent for overclocking, but nothing extremely expensive, please! I can't say what I'd be willing to spend, but it's definitely not anymore than probably $150 for a mobo.

#3. I'm looking for quality DDR3 RAM that would be compatible with my MOBO. My budget for RAM is tight also... I was thinking one of these for the time being? - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-310-_-Product

#4. So now that we have the mobo and RAM picked out, we find out if I have the money capabilities to go with - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-225-_-Product

If I don't meet the budget based on the amount of money I get, should I just go X6?

TL;DR #2.

Basically, I want to be able to get an i7 + DDR3 + Mobo. That's what I want, bad.

I'm looking for the cheapest way to get those 3, but also still maintain a great gaming rig.. And by great, I don't mean amazing FPS or performance, but definitely better than what I have now.

-- Obviously we won't be able to tell if I can go i7 yet because I don't know how much I'm getting yet, but please.. Just post all of your recommendations whether it be i7 or x6!

Thanks everyone! Rep will be given accordingly because I'm excited and want to get this ball rolling.
You will never learn anything if you don't read up on it. Thats half the fun! From the type of questions your asking I really don't think you would benefit from a high end system.

Just my 2c, good luck.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Oh and btw if your mainly gaming, the best way to improve your
rig will be to get a better gpu(yours is
already damned good) then to go quad core(although you have a tri core, better than dual for sure). Yur rig looks pretty darned decent already. I'd say get another 5850 and buy a new guitar.

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbie2009
View Post

You will never learn anything if you don't read up on it. Thats half the fun! From the type of questions your asking I really don't think you would benefit from a high end system.

Just my 2c, good luck.

Ummmmmm.

I'm pretty sure I'm asking these questions hoping for some helpful answers. I believe this is a forum where people ask for help, so I'm actually technically researching it by responding to the replies that I hoped I would get.

And just because I've never built a high end system before and I don't have experience doesn't mean I wouldn't benefit from it.

Oh, and the 'good luck' wasn't needed. You just added it in there so you wouldn't look like a total jerk. But that really didn't help at all, imo.

I guess asking for help on building on this forum is forbidden, sigh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smykster
View Post

No mobo will support both amd and intel

Thank you for answering my question.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts