1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
4,542 Posts
meh, 5870 kinda performed as well as this 6970 does, not sure if its just the games i play, but i dont see a noticeable difference.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
All ATi/AMD cards since 2XXX have been refreshes

·
Registered
477 Posts
I got a ATI 5850 overclocked to 950/1175 same performance now of a 5870. If you check the specs on the 6000 vs the 5000 cards. In my opinion the 5000 series cards are way better.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magix
View Post

Way to troll.

The 6 series doesn't seem to add much. My 5870 plays everything as high asI need /want

What ?

How am I a troll?

ATI/AMD has not created a new architecture since 2XXX. They have HEAVILY refined said architecture, but they have not created anything new.

way to troll bud

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really hate how ATi's drivers are inferior to Nvidia's, and how they lack all the features the Nvidia control panel have.

I'm afraid to update drivers because of fps decreases from new drivers and now it looks like their hardware is also getting worse.

I've seriously been considering going to the Green side despite my boycott of them for using cheap tactics like PhysX and locking out AA from Batman.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Yes and no. The mid/bottom part of the series is essentially a refresh.

The 6950 and 6970 actually use a new architecture, they changed the makeup of their shader groups. Anand covers it pretty well in his 6950/6970 review.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Z Overlord
View Post

I really hate how ATi's drivers are inferior to Nvidia's, and how they lack all the features the Nvidia control panel have.

I'm afraid to update drivers because of fps decreases from new drivers and now it looks like their hardware is also getting worse.

I've seriously been considering going to the Green side despite my boycott of them for using cheap tactics like PhysX and locking out AA from Batman.

I used Nvidia cards for YEARS before going ATI with the 4890 and honestly aside from the odd option like 3d, which AMD has (although its harder to actually get running) and ambient occlusion, they focus on the things that are really important.

They also have done some really cool things, Eyefinity is awesome and Nvidia still does not have a single card solution to it, as well as the new morphological AA.

Overall I don't miss Nvidia one bit. They used to charge outrageous prices for their cards, they did some shady renaming especially with the 8800GS/9600GSO/other9600GSO. They definitely make some great cards but I have been really happy with my AMD cards so far.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I suppose you're right, but the whole "BSoD new drivers aaah!!" and the "this going to be amazing!" and it's not gets me mad.

Oh and various people with various single card solutions detect lower fps in newer drivers over older ones.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
you really just need to find a sweet spot with drivers.

It seems to be different with most people. Mine is 10.10e, if i can get it to instal, otherwise, 10.12.

I used 10.5 for the longest time though.

·
Registered
370 Posts
After the 6 series had been released with the new drivers, the 5 series had jumped 40% in performance with the drivers implemented for the 6 series.
Currently i think the 6950/6970 are both between the 5870 and 5970.
Pretty pathetic if you ask me, but the prices are good (and the CF scaling)

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
what? How is it pathetic?

The 5970 is a DUAL gpu card while the 6970 only has 1 gpu.

I would say it is pretty impressive that a card with 1 gpu performs within 10% of a dual gpu card.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex99;12016285
what? How is it pathetic?

The 5970 is a DUAL gpu card while the 6970 only has 1 gpu.

I would say it is pretty impressive that a card with 1 gpu performs within 10% of a dual gpu card.
Yes but new arch etc is the reason for that.

imo the 6970 should of OUTPERFORMED the 5970 and competed with the 580.

AMD needs to be a step ahead for a change
frown.gif

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
AMD's driver team is in need of a refresh. The sheer power of these cards are no where near what they are suppose to be. It is as if the driver team has absolutely no communication with their hardware engineers.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr OCN;12016598

frown.gif
You realize that they didn't do a die shrink, as they would usually have done, b/c TSMC scrapped their 32nm process right? AMD was left trying to port half of a new architecture to an older process while squeezing out more performance, which meant a small die size increase.

Honestly when you factor in the circumstances surrounding this release the performance gains are pretty impressive, not to mention they've managed to throw in more features.

This was a half measure they had to rush to market to remain anywhere near competitive with Nvidia's GF100 fix, which still remains a massive chip.

Just wait for 28nm, I think we'll see some great things from Red Team.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr OCN;12016598

frown.gif
It would have if TSMC wouldn't have canceled their 34nm process. (32? i don't remember which it was)

The reason that the 6970 is on a 40nm die is because of TSMC. If TSMC could have gotten their act together, and produced an effective 34nm process, the 6970 probably would have done what you discribed.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I remember with my 8800GT all you had to do was update the drivers (without uninstalling the old ones) and everything was fine. Why can't ATi be that easy?

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Overlord;12038295
I remember with my 8800GT all you had to do was update the drivers (without uninstalling the old ones) and everything was fine. Why can't ATi be that easy?
that is how i do it with my ATI cards

·
Registered
225 Posts
this is like a troll orgy from hell, look the 6 series has its flaws, and its pros. Atm i run my 6870 (for gaming) on 1000/1250 no volt increase and temps never higher then 66 celcius (in BC2 32 player room, tanks, heli's explosions every where) i manage a good 70 - 100FPS and in BC2 benchmarks i get 95 average. Im very pleased with this card, yea its new and the drivers r horrid but l8r down the line this card is seriously going to push ahead of the 5850/5870/gtx460...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts