Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine on XBox Live decided to mess with me a bit. He's using a program called Jay's Booter to knock me off of the Internet. A few days after he did it for the first time, he told me all about it.

Router is WRT54G, security solution is MSE for three computers and AVG for two computers.

I've done a bit of Google work, and I can't figure out how to protect myself. Thoughts?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Change username/password on the router.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cokezone
View Post

Change username/password on the router.

It's already a pretty strong combination, but I'll do as you say. However, what's to stop him from doing it again? That's what I want to prevent; this guy is just messing with me, but what if someone with real malicious intent tries the same thing? That's what I want to stop.

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
Solution:
Don't let him on your network.
If you still must do this, segregate him into a separate subnet.

It would be exceedingly easy to ARP poison the MAC associated with your PC from the same subnet and simply have your traffic routed nowhere.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Razzal
View Post

I suggest you go to his house and step on his xbox.

Break all his electronics and cite "cyber threats and attempts and identity theft"
Then chnage ALL your router passwords, user names. Run scans on EVERY pc. With multiple antiviruses at that.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by beers
View Post

Solution:
Don't let him on your network.
If you still must do this, segregate him into a separate subnet.

It would be exceedingly easy to ARP poison the MAC associated with your PC from the same subnet and simply have your traffic routed nowhere.

He's not on my network. He's in a different city and we're playing together on XBox Live.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
would not consider this person a friend,
solution

Quote:

get better friends

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
The best thing to do is reset your modem (changing ip) and never play with him again, unless you know he's not going to grab your ip and boot you again.

EDIT: Don't listen to the people telling you to get a better anti-virus and scan computer because this is not a virus, he's sending a crap load of packets to your ip causing you to go offline. It is called DDOSing, not a virus.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
If its possible with your type of connection,try to release/renew your external ip as often as you can.
In lots of cases this can be done by simply rebooting/powering down your router or in my case i have to change my routers MAC as my ip address lease is tied to my routers MAC.

Check with ipchicken before and after to confirm your new ip address.
He may get in some bother for using Jays booter eventually from his ISP for persistant Denial of service,but hey thats not your problem.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by superj1977
View Post

If its possible with your type of connection,try to release/renew your external ip as often as you can.
In lots of cases this can be done by simply rebooting/powering down your router or in my case i have to change my routers MAC as my ip address lease is tied to my routers MAC.

Check with ipchicken before and after to confirm your new ip address.
He may get in some bother for using Jays booter eventually from his ISP for persistant Denial of service,but hey thats not your problem.

Supposedly its just a control program for shells/botnet so OP's 'friend' wouldn't be generating much traffic himself for his ISP to notice.

You can't defend against a DDOS besides nullrouting the packets when an attack starts or changing your IP.

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
Hence why distributed serving/hosting is not the greatest idea.

As stated, over the WAN not much you can do if it's either a software vulnerability/exploit within the Xbox software or simply a DDoS from botnet, etc.

Best things to do are to stop playing with him, and leave modem off for ~30 minutes in order to acquire a separate WAN IP.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.