Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That despite OCN's strict "no individualism is allowed to be portrayed through posting of opinions", the more popular short-term threads have had 'discussions' of opinions
I wonder if that's why they get so popular

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
I wouldn't call it "no individualism allowed", but rather I would say that they are just trying to keep a neutral, professional image. That's why we can't discuss politics or religion. But apart from that, we can talk about anything else (as long as it's something that you would be able to get away with in front of the head boss at an office job where the dress code is Business Casual).

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by voodoo861 View Post
My bosses talk about anything and everything. I can actually say anything to them...terrible gruesomely sexual mother jokes included. Gotta love government jobs.

What a dumb example. You knew what I meant.

·
Banned
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
I wouldn't call it "no individualism allowed", but rather I would say that they are just trying to keep a neutral, professional image.
Yeh I know, I was being sarcastic ^^

·
Registered
167 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

What a dumb example. You knew what I meant.

Seems like a perfect example to me. Directly applies and everything. Generalizations about what is acceptable are completely unacceptable in the form of a metaphor. Boy I wish I had a metaphor to explain that.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by voodoo861
View Post

Seems like a perfect example to me. Directly applies and everything. Generalizations about what is acceptable are completely unacceptable in the form of a metaphor. Boy I wish I had a metaphor to explain that.

Every single office job I've ever had enforced nearly identical rules to OCN's (where applicable to real life). Shall I list the ones that I'm talking about? Do I really have to? Or can you figure out which ones they are?

Ok. I'll put it this way: OCN is like the Professional office environment where the dress code is Business Professional.

Heh.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by voodoo861
View Post

I wear a uniform and badge...doesnt get more professional than that really. Pleated pants and everything. Trolololololo

Sigh.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
He's saying that you can't make sweeping generalizations, and gave an example. He's right. You can say many, most even, can't say (or imply) all jobs.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Look: all Overclock.net is trying to do is maintain a professional, neutral image. They want to look absolutely nothing like 4chan, /b/, facebook, MySpace, etc., et.,.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jshay
View Post

Lol I came here thinking this was my sex video thread Xd

hahaha
you have become more famous after the sex video thread

btw,
IMO, being professionally neutral is the best bet..

·
Banned
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You fellas just proved my point
Post number increases with respect to time when a difference of opinion comes into play

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLagALot
View Post

You fellas just proved my point
Post number increases with respect to time when a difference of opinion comes into play

You needed this thread to figure that out? This is the way humans have been for thousands of years.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jemping
View Post

hahaha
you have become more famous after the sex video thread

btw,
IMO, being professionally neutral is the best bet..

You mean in your opinion, there is no right or wrong side to this discussion.

Websites where opinions arent allowed are useless and irrelevant. Opinions lead to, under proper and respectable discussion, like most of the ones carried on here outside of OT, actually provide insight. They can be useful to people and help them learn, perhaps even create new ideas for posters to try.

OT should be a looser and more fun place. It is, but just barely.

EDIT: Cables is right.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts