Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never really used linux, but Im sick of vista and my XP copy went away when I sold my last computer. So Im actually thinking about buying xp again, but thought about linux. I dont think it will work for me but all I want to do is browse the internet, use ventrilo, play wow,CoD4, maybe some steam games.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiratesRule View Post
Wine can play some games but it doesn't work too well if at all with COD4.
ty for the response, just wanted a simple answer just like that. It wont work for me... /sigh, off to buy windows xp...

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
OpenGL games work in Linux, but most games are developed with DirectX (by MS). WINE is a DirectX emulator but doesn't work with newer games.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
OpenGL games work in Linux, but most games are developed with DirectX (by MS). WINE is a DirectX emulator but doesn't work with newer games.
ah, so there is logic to it as well, Well thank you too. Your responses have always been very informative and great.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sepheroth003 View Post
ty for the response, just wanted a simple answer just like that. It wont work for me... /sigh, off to buy windows xp...
You could certainly try it, won't hurt anything.

·
Premium Member
8,451 Posts
Windows games are hard to get working on Linux. Linux itself has plenty of games; most are free, with a few commercial exceptions. If you depend heavily on Windows games, then either stick with Windows, or dual boot.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiratesRule
View Post

Wine can play some games but it doesn't work too well if at all with COD4.

I call BS. I've seen pictures of COD4 working flawlessly (though I envy the person who got it working...)

Also, Wine is not a DirectX emulator, it is a Windows emulation layer that can use DirectX libraries in its emulation... Big difference...

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OasisGames
View Post

I call BS. I've seen pictures of COD4 working flawlessly (though I envy the person who got it working...)

I checked the Wine database the other day and it really wasn't working. Do you have a link?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

I have to disagree somewhat, Wine (Wine is not an Emulator). You should know that

As far as games go, Wine works great with every game you listed (I play steam games 24/7 over Wine as I only have Linux) and COD4 is almost there and actually works decently last I heard.

·
Read Only
5,227 Posts
linux + games = depends.

linux + ALL games = no.

some games work, some dont. most need other programs in order to work, and still need to be tweaked. its a constant affair of tweaking to get certain ones to work.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, I actually have ubuntu loaded on one of my backup PCs, I gave in and went and bought Windows xp again. So my main pc will be back to its old self.

I might play with linux sometime, but I got xp on that comp as well. So we'll see if I ever get time.

Appreciate all the comments tho.

·
Read Only
5,227 Posts
why not try dual booting? when your bored and feel like tinkering you can just switch over to linux. or if you cant get certain games to work in linux, you can just switch over to xp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts