Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was transferring a large file when my computer locked up. I restarted and windows started to load, but continued to load forever. I then tinkered with it until it will freeze as soon as it starts to load windows. I have confirmed the faulty drive with WD lifeguard diagnostics. I'm pretty good about backing my data up so I shouldn't have lost much if anything.

Anyways, the thing that is weird is that it will freeze up most bootable disks that I try to run, unless I unplug that particular array. Is that weird to anybody. I've tried a couple of Bart PE disks and they all freeze up for some reason when loading. Since SATA drives are hot swappable I loaded up some BART PE, then plugged in the array to see what would happen. The drive doesnt register for the most part but certain programs will still detect it. hd tune for instance, which does me no good since it has no repair feature. I wish I could find a way to run ckhdsk on it but cant get the computer to locate the drive (it assigns no drive path to it C:,D:, whatever). Oh well. I guess it was time to reinstall anyways. I just wish I could get the array up to make sure I'm not loosing anything.

·
No desktop currently :(
2,134 Posts
Yeah, both times I've had a dead HD, the entire system will always freeze while it is attached. Sucks that you lost your array, but that's kinda inevitable for it to happen some time (hope mine's not for a while haha)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3v0
View Post

So you can't use an xp disc to reformat the drives and rebuild your array?

Well I could after replacing the failed drive, but I think my tinkering is done with a bootable raid array. I dont mind having other arrays that just have data on them, but a bootable array is a PITA. Always having to worry about loading RAID drivers via floppy (for XP anyways) and bootable CD's always working funny. Disk checker has been my best friend for the past couple of years. From now on my OS drive is gonna be a single drive. I guess I'll just pick up a velociraptor or something for the OS and some TB drives for storage. That will be good enough for me. RAID just isnt worth the hassle for me. Pretty soon SSD drives will be the norm and RAID will not be as relevant, still faster but less relevant, especially as the technology progresses.

The only really crappy part of the whole situation is the countless hours I have to spend re installing windows and configuring the system like I had it. That outta be a chore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts