Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this game coded badly or wth? the game came out 3 years ago, i'm running 470 in sli.... and yes i do max the game out 1920x1080 4x AA about 50fps on the benchmark, but the benchmark is nothing compared to actually playing in the middle of a firefight.

I'm in the second level of crysis (in that coastal town with the school) forgot the name of it..... but there are so many enemies there, so much action and shooting, frames are actually getting into the single digits. I toned down my res to 1280x720 and it still hung in the teens on that segment of the game.

So 3 years later you need to have like a quad SLI of the latest series of cards just to max this game out at a playable rate? I'm assuming warhead is a little better coded right?

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
You need to OC that CPU is your problem.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
You need to OC that CPU is your problem.
+1 you need a bigger OC than that...

but yes the game IS coded badly

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The game still looks better than almost every game currently out, with the possible exception of Metro 2033. I don't know how that is bad coding.

Plus, I get over 30 FPS in Crysis at all times with 4xAA at 1920x1200. Your CPU needs to be overclocked.

·
Jayce
3,767 Posts
^ What he said.

I have no problems maxing it out with 8xAA/16xAF/Enthusiast settings @ 1920x1200. My FPS doesn't drop into the single digits or the teens, even with VSYNC on. It's almost always a constant 60 FPS, drops to mid 40s/50s during intense firefights.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcde7ago View Post
^ What he said.

I have no problems maxing it out with 8xAA/16xAF/Enthusiast settings @ 1920x1200. My FPS doesn't drop into the single digits or the teens, even with VSYNC on. It's almost always a constant 60 FPS, drops to mid 40s/50s during intense firefights.
Well thats warhead, i heard warhead runs a lot better than crysis... i'm talking about crysis, i dont have warhead yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by t3lancer2006 View Post
The game still looks better than almost every game currently out, with the possible exception of Metro 2033. I don't know how that is bad coding.

Plus, I get over 30 FPS in Crysis at all times with 4xAA at 1920x1200. Your CPU needs to be overclocked.
I play metro 2033 in dx11, physx on, 1920x1080 pretty much 50-60fps constant with occasional dip here and there to 30 fps. Crysis ran a lot better than metro, well at least i thought it did until i got to this school part, JESUS.

I find it funny how the game starts up and it says "runs great on cor 2 duo" yet i need to OC an i7 processor for a 2007 game... go figure

6,097 Posts
war head is better optimised, but i have to say the gfx is worse. yes crysis is poorly coded for optimisation but i have to say it still is one of the best looking "jungle" games out there. night night probably has pretty good lighting effects. sun shadows in the day are magnificent.

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Possibly CPU related but that's pretty poor performance. I average around 30-40 with a custom config that looks a lot better, no AA though as it kills performance and doesn't really look good in that game. If you're running AA, turn it off and see how it runs, Crysis AA is pretty poor most of the time.

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
Why is there this misconception that Crysis is badly coded just because it is a DEMANDING game?

Is it hard for you to understand the the game was beyond state-of-the-art at release?

It was made to be demanding, taxing, and bring your GPU to its knees and beg for mercy. It was graphically miles ahead of its time.

6,097 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by humpmasterflex1 View Post
Well thats warhead, i heard warhead runs a lot better than crysis... i'm talking about crysis, i dont have warhead yet.

I play metro 2033 in dx11, physx on, 1920x1080 pretty much 50-60fps constant with occasional dip here and there to 30 fps. Crysis ran a lot better than metro, well at least i thought it did until i got to this school part, JESUS.

I find it funny how the game starts up and it says "runs great on cor 2 duo" yet i need to OC an i7 processor for a 2007 game... go figure
it will run great on a core 2 duo. if you oc it to about 3.6GHz or higher.

your extra two cores on your i7 wont be used though.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PanicProne View Post
Why is there this misconception that Crysis is badly coded just because it is a DEMANDING game?

Is it hard for you to understand the the game was beyond state-of-the-art at release?

It was made to be demanding, taxing, and bring your GPU to its knees and beg for mercy. It was graphically miles ahead of its time.
It's glitch prone, looks crap at long distance (try sniping in the quarry area), crashes on alt+tab, comes to a standstill when anything in the background so much as refreshes a subroutine, doesn't run well on even the highest-end hardware even though newer games look as good and run on a lot less, and has corrupted my graphics drivers twice. That's pretty poorly coded.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i thought it was like that because i was running xconfig XtoD 1.3, but i uninstalled that and there was not much difference, as far as OC'ing processors goes... i'm afraid to dabble with that.. this was my first ever build so i dont know how to OC yet.

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
It's glitch prone, looks crap at long distance (try sniping in the quarry area), crashes on alt+tab, comes to a standstill when anything in the background so much as refreshes a subroutine, doesn't run well on even the highest-end hardware even though newer games look as good and run on a lot less, and has corrupted my graphics drivers twice. That's pretty poorly coded.
  1. Glitch prone, I can agree on that one.
  2. Looks crap at long distances? Something must be wrong with your config. It is absolutely GORGEOUS even zoomed in with a scope to me.
  3. I have NEVER had a crash doing alt-tab. Even with my Opteron 165 @ 3.0GHz, and 2GB of DDR400. It did take a while to alt-tab until I got 4GB or more of RAM though.
  4. Comes to a standstill? Again, I have never had that problem. Except when doing like a disk defrag or something, and I get to a hard drive access point in the game (such as a save).
  5. Crysis runs very VERY well on my hardware (considering what my hardware is, and what Crysis is).
  6. And again, I have NEVER seen this game corrupt drivers. I've played it on Nvidia, ATI, Socket 939, and AM2+. None of my friends have had any of these problems either (that I say I haven't seen).
On topic here:
My sig rig can max out Crysis (DX10, Very High, 4x AA, 1440x900) without issue. I usually play with the Real Lifesys mod myself (modified the config file so there's no blur). On the benchmark I average 36 FPS (min. 25, max 50) with the above settings and the mod. In game (I have played it for about 2 hours now total), I never drop below 30. I have YET to see it drop below 30. Granted that's not "60 FPS with vsync", but that's pretty darn good for Crysis, considering when it came out everybody thought 15 FPS and up was playable.

6,097 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

1. Glitch prone, I can agree on that one.
  2. Looks crap at long distances? Something must be wrong with your config. It is absolutely GORGEOUS even zoomed in with a scope to me.
  3. I have NEVER had a crash doing alt-tab. Even with my Opteron 165 @ 3.0GHz, and 2GB of DDR400. It did take a while to alt-tab until I got 4GB or more of RAM though.
  4. Comes to a standstill? Again, I have never had that problem. Except when doing like a disk defrag or something, and I get to a hard drive access point in the game (such as a save).
  5. Crysis runs very VERY well on my hardware (considering what my hardware is, and what Crysis is).
  6. And again, I have NEVER seen this game corrupt drivers. I've played it on Nvidia, ATI, Socket 939, and AM2+. None of my friends have had any of these problems either (that I say I haven't seen).
On topic here:
My sig rig can max out Crysis (DX10, Very High, 4x AA, 1440x900) without issue. I usually play with the Real Lifesys mod myself (modified the config file so there's no blur). On the benchmark I average 36 FPS (min. 25, max 50) with the above settings and the mod. In game (I have played it for about 2 hours now total), I never drop below 30. I have YET to see it drop below 30. Granted that's not "60 FPS with vsync", but that's pretty darn good for Crysis, considering when it came out everybody thought 15 FPS and up was playable.

yeah its all fine and dandy until you get to the last level with very high on your rig. say goodbye to playability.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I haven't checked the frame rates, but my Phenom II X4 overclocked to 3.6ghz and dual GTX 460's can max it at 1920x1200.

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by subliminally incorrect View Post
yeah its all fine and dandy until you get to the last level with very high on your rig. say goodbye to playability.
I have yet to see the last level. If that's the case, I'll force DX9 and "High" settings with 4x AA and the Real Lifesys mod. I'm sure it can't be all that bad.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Hah!!!! The ship is the best graphics in the game by far !! I love walking around in the Armory ,and Bridge area. Then out on deck , with the Mothership ,and flyers ,and groundies,and turrets !!!!! Mayhem. I only have 1-GTX 470 ,and it just has a seizure . My GTX-275 had a stroke on the Deck !!!! . Warhead plays like butter ,but it's just a baby compared to Crysis. Over too quickly. I wish I had the Warhead cannon for the final crysis Boss.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
get a 7950gx2 and you will be fine

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by t3lancer2006 View Post
There's no way at those settings you never dip below 30fps w/a single 470. I've dipped below 30 with two before.

OP: I play at the same settings, with a similar rig, and the lowest fps I've seen is high 20's, so I'd say there's something wrong there. Single digits should not be happening on your rig at those settings. What's your GPU usage like in these parts? In case you don't know how to check that, use the Onscreen Display capability of Afterburner to view all your stats in-game

You could possibly have some thermal throttling going on ...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts