Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a plan to go Tri-SLI 470s at some point.

What PSU minimum would I need for an i7, tri-SLI 470s, and a water cooling loop for the CPU and GPUs.

I know I can go SLI with 2 cards with the PSU I have now, but it won't cut it for 3.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Well I think they said 480's were 300w each so you should shoot for around 275w each....then cpu and mobo are like what 250w under full load when overclocked.

However, I've gotta ask is it worth it for Tri-SLI? A standard SLI setup would let you reuse your current power supply without the need to buy a new one.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
For 2-way SLI 480s & i7, most would recommend a good 850w PSU (hx850 for example) at the least.

You're throwing in another 480, for a total of 3, presumably overclocking them and watercooling to boot.
You're talking 950-1000W, so you might want to give yourself a little extra room to breath as well.

IMO, go with something like an corsair ax1200, enermax galaxy evo or their equivalents.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trigunflame View Post
If you were going that big, might as well spend a little more cash and get something like an ax1200 or equivalent.
The ax1200 has many, many problems. Avoid that one. I know of quite a few folks RMA'ing theirs because of various issues. If you want one, wait a few months until the crappy shipment is gone

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by KamuiRSX View Post
Well I think they said 480's were 300w each so you should shoot for around 275w each....then cpu and mobo are like what 250w under full load when overclocked.

However, I've gotta ask is it worth it for Tri-SLI? A standard SLI setup would let you reuse your current power supply without the need to buy a new one.
Well, I am planning on going just a regular SLI setup first which I know my current PSU can handle. What I am worried about though is that it will not be able to handle the SLI setup and a water cooling loop (don't have a time table on when I will be going under water yet). And I figure if I need a new PSU for water cooling I might as well make sure it can handle a Tri-SLI setup at some point.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibage View Post
The ax1200 has many, many problems. Avoid that one. I know of quite a few folks RMA'ing theirs because of various issues. If you want one, wait a few months until the crappy shipment is gone
That's not fair to Corsair to state something like that.
Some of the PSUs do exhibit "noises", but it's not like they're running out of spec or killing components.
They've already identified the problem and should be shipping the new revisions any time now.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trigunflame View Post
That's not fair to Corsair to state something like that.
Some of the PSUs do exhibit "noises", but it's nothing that can't be rectified with an RMA.
My friend had one fry his system. His GPU was okay but the rest wasn't. On top of that, I know two other folks who had theirs just stop working. There was one more that had it just crap out but he was an idiot. I think he did something stupid with the fan. Either way, ask around here. Its just the ax 1200. The 850w and 750w both work like champs.

I'm in no way saying Corsair is bad by the way. I have a 650w tx and a 650w hx lying here waiting for use in a new system. Every now and then, something happens of misfortune no matter who you buy from and sometimes campanies get a string of bad products. It happens

Edit: Bah. Quoted before you edited. But yes, they have found the issues and there should be new batches on the way soon. Just like I said, it would be wise to hold off a tad bit so the old get circulated out of the market

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibage View Post
My friend had one fry his system.
If that was the case & it was due to the PSU, then I stand corrected.
I hadn't heard about this happening to anyone else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts