Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've pretty much finished up my CPU/NB OCs. I'm trying to tweak my ram now. I know most amd systems respond better to lower timings rather than higher clocks, but according to these benches, my system is the opposite (more like intel)?

My ram doesn't post at cas6 and some reviewer on newegg (looked to be rather knowledgeable) said he couldn't get it stable at cas7 no matter what frequency.

I can run 1600 9-9-9-24 @ 1.68 vDIMM. If I were to keep it at 1600, my goal would be 8-8-8-24. I've tried 1600 8-8-8-24 @ 1.725 vDIMM and BSODed in prime. I know most say 1.9v is the max safe voltage for DDR3 on AMD. Should I keep trying?

Thanks

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by railfan844
View Post

1600 9-9-9-24 at 1.68 is the best. And I think even that may be a little high of a voltage for 24/7.

Really? From searching on this forum, most have said DDR3 is good up to around 1.9v because JEDEC states DDR3 must withstand up to 1.975v before being damaged

·
Nerd / Geek
1,681 Posts
RAM should be fine up to 1.75v at a safe limit - I don't go farther than that myself. I'd try the 8-8-8-24 again, but try the CPU-NB at 1.35v to see if that stabilizes it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know I have brought this up before, but if you look at the genesis webpage it says AMD systems are rated for 1.7-1.9v. I think kingston just labeled these as 1.65v so that people with intel would also be able to use them.

here's what one newegg reviewer said (i know, most of them are newbs)
Quote:
Cons: the posted volts and speeds are not clearly listed here, though not incorrect but just not fully explained. I'm sure it's for those trying to squeeze out 1 more penny off the electric bill, but they will run on 1.5v so y not list that? 1.5v=1333MHz 1.7v~1.9v=1600MHz. That's why most complain about boot up speeds being lower than listed.

Other Thoughts: This RAM is for AMD SYSTEMS! That's why it has higher voltages but just not listed here properly, conceivably it will work on new Intel systems also but probably not optimally as the same memory that has an "X" at the end of it = made for Intel. I have the wrong RAM for AMD I bought the "x" unknowingly thinking it's the same but maybe newer style or something like that cuz of so many products for sale with similar model #'s without researching deeply you would assume it's last years or heatsink colors or latency settings that make slight model numbers changes, cuz the voltages are listed the same. Just thought I'd Let you all know in case this affects your application, or penny pinching.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
RAM performance scales worse speed-wise below 1600Mhz
This is why 1600 @ CL9 will often slightly exceed 1333 CL7

They don't necessary need 1.7-1.9V for AMD systems. His kit is specifically rated 1.65V; only the kits rated specifically at 1.7-1.9V need that voltage.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by razr m3;13078490
Sorry to thread hijack, but what is the safe max voltage for DDR3? I've always wondered that...
you're not hijacking. that's exactly what i want to know too. i just wish there was a clear cut listed threshold like processors

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazio93;13078520
you're not hijacking. that's exactly what i want to know too. i just wish there was a clear cut listed threshold like processors
I agree, it would make things much much easier.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
even after 1.755vdimm at 1600 8-8-8-24 i still got an error in memtest. i don't really want to go any higher. i'm trying out 1600 8-9-8-25 now.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My experience is that the ram is most stable at factory settings, Get you NB up around 3K & it will bench just fine. I had to up voltage to 1.76 get it to run 999 27 41 2t with the NB at 3K. It's stable & fast.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule928;13088924
My experience is that the ram is most stable at factory settings, Get you NB up around 3K & it will bench just fine. I had to up voltage to 1.76 get it to run 999 27 41 2t with the NB at 3K. It's stable & fast.
My NB is at 2.8. 3GHz takes too much voltage. I know the timings won't have that much of an impact, just trying to see what I can get

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Safe voltage on DDR3 depends on the IC. Consider 1.75V for all, if you know the specific IC and it is not PSC then it will still depend on the IC.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1.74v
that's the sweet spot for me

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.