Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
might get the x3 core 2.8 gh/z, but then i realized, for a few $$$ more, I could snatch a 3.0 gh/z Quad core...

So, post your opinions on which is better!

Also, I would like to keep it for at least a year or 2
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,511 Posts
Go for the quad for sure. It overclocks well and will keep you in the loop for a while. You could get that 3.0 up to 3.5/3.6 with a good board. Go for it...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,305 Posts
Your definition of a few $$$ more must differ from my definition, but that's ok!

It's a bit of a toss up, especially when you say it's for gaming. Yes the 940 has the extra core, but for straight gaming the 720 has more L3 cache per core then the quad, not to mention it's AM3, so you can use ddr2 or ddr3 with it if you chose to take that upgrade path at some point. They both overclock similarly so if for a gaming solution i'd say the 720 for $85 less.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,533 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Pao
View Post

Your definition of a few $$$ more must differ from my definition, but that's ok!

It's a bit of a toss up, especially when you say it's for gaming. Yes the 940 has the extra core, but for straight gaming the 720 has more L3 cache per core then the quad, not to mention it's AM3, so you can use ddr2 or ddr3 with it if you chose to take that upgrade path at some point. They both overclock similarly so if for a gaming solution i'd say the 720 for $85 less.

Bingo.

If you were multitasking, video editing, ect.. I'd suggest the quad. But since you specify this is a gaming computer, go with the X3. It fairs a lot better in games than the X4. Mainly because of what Pao said - The X3 uses more cache per core than the X4.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
930 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Shift.
View Post

Bingo.

If you were multitasking, video editing, ect.. I'd suggest the quad. But since you specify this is a gaming computer, go with the X3. It fairs a lot better in games than the X4. Mainly because of what Pao said - The X3 uses more cache per core than the X4.

shift, i looked at the guru3d review you posted in another thread... wow, *** was that?!?!

the 810 X4 @ 3.0 was within 1% of the 720 X3 @ 2.8... so how does the X3 fair a lot better in games?

add to that, they tested the X3 @ 3.7 vs the X4 @ 3.0 - now that's a fair comparison.
all the tests showed the frames to be within 1% of each other, from X3 to X4. and the higher the resolution, the less of a gap between the two CPU's. and if anyone honestly plays at anything less that 1280x1024... it's time for a new monitor, cuz these games aren't for low res.

honestly, the X4 and the X3 are very close clock for clock when it comes to gaming at resolutions less than anyone would play at, and the X3 might even come out on top by a few frames. however, the X4 has the same OC potential as the X3's and will be overall faster. - wait a few months and get the 945 BE socket AM3
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,114 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by pixie
View Post

shift, i looked at the guru3d review you posted in another thread... wow, *** was that?!?!

the 810 X4 @ 3.0 was within 1% of the 720 X3 @ 2.8... so how does the X3 fair a lot better in games?

add to that, they tested the X3 @ 3.7 vs the X4 @ 3.0 - now that's a fair comparison.
all the tests showed the frames to be within 1% of each other, from X3 to X4. and the higher the resolution, the less of a gap between the two CPU's. and if anyone honestly plays at anything less that 1280x1024... it's time for a new monitor, cuz these games aren't for low res.

honestly, the X4 and the X3 are very close clock for clock when it comes to gaming at resolutions less than anyone would play at, and the X3 might even come out on top by a few frames. however, the X4 has the same OC potential as the X3's and will be overall faster. - wait a few months and get the 945 BE socket AM3


They do those tests at such low resolutions, because resolutions like 1024x768 and 1280x1024 are CPU bound res's.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,305 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by pixie
View Post

shift, i looked at the guru3d review you posted in another thread... wow, *** was that?!?!

the 810 X4 @ 3.0 was within 1% of the 720 X3 @ 2.8... so how does the X3 fair a lot better in games?

add to that, they tested the X3 @ 3.7 vs the X4 @ 3.0 - now that's a fair comparison.
all the tests showed the frames to be within 1% of each other, from X3 to X4. and the higher the resolution, the less of a gap between the two CPU's. and if anyone honestly plays at anything less that 1280x1024... it's time for a new monitor, cuz these games aren't for low res.

honestly, the X4 and the X3 are very close clock for clock when it comes to gaming at resolutions less than anyone would play at, and the X3 might even come out on top by a few frames. however, the X4 has the same OC potential as the X3's and will be overall faster. - wait a few months and get the 945 BE socket AM3

Very true, but most result differences now a days are in the multitude of a few fps, we all have very capable equipment to run current games. For me it fairs better when you look at the better results and keep in your mind the $30 price difference between the two.

We're all very lucky right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by kcklub
View Post

get tri core and enable the 4th core, thats what everyone is doing, , up the voltage for the 4 core and you can be stable is the word

Ya because I want to bet on him getting the correct stepping and have the correct board to unlock it. People really need to stop assuming that the x3 can be unlocked like that and it is a super cheapo quad because it is not. It is a tri-core in the end
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,305 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Cdpkook132
View Post

Ya because I want to bet on him getting the correct stepping and have the correct board to unlock it. People really need to stop assuming that the x3 can be unlocked like that and it is a super cheapo quad because it is not. It is a tri-core in the end

Very good point. It's a bad thing to 'bet' on when upgrading. I just got a 720, but with no reservations at all about unlocking, I'm just a tri-core die hard fan. I did get curious last night though and downloaded a beta bios to try it out and I could not post, my chip apparently cannot unlock.

Mind you I do have the 0904 batch chip, the same as the original fellow who unlocked his, it's just not a guarantee, same as everything else we do here.

Regardless though, the 720 and 710 are a phenomenal value for what you get for the MSRP right now.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez View Post
They do those tests at such low resolutions, because resolutions like 1024x768 and 1280x1024 are CPU bound res's.
dude, i know why they do testing at those speeds. but if you're gonna buy a CPU based on it performing a couple frames better than another CPU at a low resolution, then logic would dictate that you're gonna play at that resolution. but since even CRT monitors have resolutions of at least 1280x1024, the quad and the tri are basically equal. and if you have an LCD with, more than likely, 1680x1050 resolution... the differences in frames is nil.

if you have the money and want a more powerful CPU, get the quad core. if you game at 1024x768 and are strapped for cash, get the tri core.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pao View Post
Very true, but most result differences now a days are in the multitude of a few fps, we all have very capable equipment to run current games. For me it fairs better when you look at the better results and keep in your mind the $30 price difference between the two.

We're all very lucky right now.

it's true, we are all very lucky with either CPU. but like i said before, if you can afford the more expensive CPU (in this case), you will have the more powerful CPU. and if you can't afford it, then the tri core will be a great deal and give about the same performance in games as the quad. in every other situation, thought, the quad will smash it.
 

·
My claws fix anything
Joined
·
3,246 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pixie View Post
dude, i know why they do testing at those speeds. but if you're gonna buy a CPU based on it performing a couple frames better than another CPU at a low resolution, then logic would dictate that you're gonna play at that resolution. but since even CRT monitors have resolutions of at least 1280x1024, the quad and the tri are basically equal. and if you have an LCD with, more than likely, 1680x1050 resolution... the differences in frames is nil.

if you have the money and want a more powerful CPU, get the quad core. if you game at 1024x768 and are strapped for cash, get the tri core.

it's true, we are all very lucky with either CPU. but like i said before, if you can afford the more expensive CPU (in this case), you will have the more powerful CPU. and if you can't afford it, then the tri core will be a great deal and give about the same performance in games as the quad. in every other situation, thought, the quad will smash it.
Well, while I dont quite agree with everything said there (smash is such a strong word
) I do agree with the rest of it. If the budget will allow it, the 940 BE will perform as well in games, and should do better in normal tasks (if they're multithreaded).

The Tri cores do have one big advantage (other than price). That is when you want to upgrade to socket AM3, you wont be forced to get a new chip at the same time, which can be quite valuable if you dont plan on doing a completely new build.

I got my X3 because it was alot cheaper than the 810, and my board wont support the 940... so given that there isn't really a bad choice here... let you're wallet decide for you.

Good luck man
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
930 Posts
lol, nothing like having people get two threads going about basically same topic, eh?


if i wasn't so impatient, i would've waited for the AM3's, but i'll be damned if i didn't want to be the first to have a 940 and spend an extra $40 on it
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top