Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... I think I'm gonna upgrade my CPU to a little more powerful one before a new rig with BD and 6870.

Because of my mobo, I can only get AM2 processors. It would cost 450€ to get a non AM2 processor because I would need a new: Case, OS, CPU, MoBo.

I was thinking of getting

1: Athlon 64 x2 5000+ Sure to work, Only 2.6Ghz

Amazon.com: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor With FAN: Electronics Amazon.com: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor With FAN: Electronics
2: Athlon 64 x2 5600+ 2.9Ghz. Not so sure.

Amazon.com: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Brisbane 2.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor With FAN: Electronics Amazon.com: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Brisbane 2.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor With FAN: Electronics
I read stories on the internet about the board accepting higher than 5000+ CPU's but it would not recognize them. It would just say AMD 2.9GHz or something and otherwise work well. Any ideas on whether or not I should get higher than 5000+? Instead of 2.6GHz, I could get 2.9Ghz for about the same price. These would still be AM2

But the site for the board, asus nodusm3, says "Upgrade: Athlon 64 x2 up to 5000+"

So what do you think? Would a 5600+ work? This is the point of the thread.

Thanks!

PS: Amazons layout is weird. Those aren't used are they? D:

EDIT: More questions:

1: Does the Thermal paste come with the CPU? And where can I find a guide on how to apply it and mount the cooler?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I would just save up and get a new system. I think AM2+ CPU will work in a AM2 board but with ur system being built by HP i really doubt they did any BIOS updates to allow new CPUs.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
HP bought the MB from Asus to use in its computers and after that HP never takes the time to get a BIOS update to use a new CPU. They would rather have u just buy a new computer.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Might as well get the faster chip, the price is similar. Since you can't OC, having close to a 50% increase in clock speed should help out alot. You can also sell that 3800+ to get some of it back.

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgdude
View Post

Might as well get the faster chip, the price is similar.

I'm looking to know if the mobo might support it.

The HP site says
"Upgrade:
Athlon 64 x2 up to 5000+"

Now I have heard of people having newer processors there but they wouldn't be recognized. It would just say like "AMD 2.9Ghz CPU"

I'm looking to know if someone knows wether or not this is true.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I bet your processor bottle necks your GPU hard.
I am selling a 780G Motherboard on Ebay, and would be more than happy to do a deal with you over the forum if you want. And then snatch urself a 5000+. Thats done on a budget of like £100 inc shipping.

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mental.patient
View Post

I bet your processor bottle necks your GPU hard.
I am selling a 780G Motherboard on Ebay, and would be more than happy to do a deal with you over the forum if you want. And then snatch urself a 5000+. Thats done on a budget of like £100 inc shipping.

Sorry. Not doing that. It's a matter of principle for me.

Anyways, you live in england, you should have no trouble finding an AM2 processor.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
You could always go for an AMD X2 7850 Black Edition. My Mobo for sale has the latest bios and supports any current AMD processor. + it has dual PCIe x16 slots

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I am DDR3 selling my old DDR2 components, RAM/Mobo etc.
I dont understand what u mean about it being a matter of principle?

·
OG AMD
8,885 Posts
Don't buy an old CPU.Just get a new board and a new AM3 cpu.Everything else can be re-used.Like this-mobo/cpu combo

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redwoodz
View Post

Don't buy an old CPU.Just get a new board and a new AM3 cpu.Everything else can be re-used.Like this-mobo/cpu combo

Not gonna spend 450€ for a bigger upgrade. Just trying to keep this rig alive before the next one.

Anyways, I would need a new mobo, CPU, Case, PSU for a new non AM2 processor. Too much money.

And newegg doesn't ship outside of US.

So is it possible? 5600+ on a nodusm3?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
why do you need a new psu and case for non AM2? All new AMD processors are backwards compatible. As long as you dont go out of your MB range such as quad/hex core.

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mental.patient View Post
why do you need a new psu and case for non AM2? All new AMD processors are backwards compatible. As long as you dont go out of your MB range such as quad/hex core.
It's almost impossible to install anything to this HP case:
Case 39€

This mobo doesn't support BIOS upgrades that allow newer processors:
Mobo 69€

This OS is tied to the mobo. New mobo = new OS
129€

New CPU = 140€

New CPU Might take too much power for a 300w PSU.
Psu = 30€ minimum

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
New CPU + Mobo = 100euro shipped.
new case = 20euro
500w = 20euro
Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit - I can send to you for free (just the cost of shipping).

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

New CPU + Mobo = 100euro shipped.
new case = 20euro
500w = 20euro
Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit - I can send to you for free (just the cost of shipping).
In finland the prices aren't that low. And If I'd spend 220 for a new processor, It wouldn't be this crappy. I'm just gonna decide what I'm gonna take in this thread.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
De-Zant for abut 150euro I could part build and ship the thing to you.
Or I could purchase the parts and ship them all boxed to you for around the same. Does that interest you? Since pc parts are probably alot cheaper in the UK.

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

De-Zant for abut 150euro I could part build and ship the thing to you.
Or I could purchase the parts and ship them all boxed to you for around the same. Does that interest you? Since pc parts are probably alot cheaper in the UK.
Not interested. I have my reasons. I will politely ask you to discontinue that sale speech. Thank you...

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Ok, then. Was only trying to help. But if your saying that none of your stuff is compatible and that you can only get a 5000+ why do you need any input from people on here?

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Ok, then. Was only trying to help. But if your saying that none of your stuff is compatible and that you can only get a 5000+ why do you need any input from people on here?
I'm not sure what is compatible. It might be 5000+ only, but I want to know if it supports 5600+. Someone could help me and tell me where in windows can I find the specific model of the mobo? Device manager said nothing and the other thing that I can't translate to english only said nodusm3

Should I open the PC up and see if it says the model anywhere?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts