1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a random question peoples
wondering if a could drop a 8700K in my Z270 motherboard if I wanted to

just curious,,i would need a bios update though

·
Avid Memer
5,958 Posts
Coffee Lake is not compatible with 200-series chipsets. You would need a 300-series motherboard.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmyantidrug View Post

Coffee Lake is not compatible with 200-series chipsets. You would need a 300-series motherboard.
Unless someone starts hacking BIOS and inserting microcode (definitely possible), this is correct.

·
Avid Memer
5,958 Posts
Hacking the BIOS and adding microcode won't help because the pins are different. The incompatibility is because of hardware, not software.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The pins aren't different, the "new" 1151 just has additional voltage pins. Signaling pins are identical. Coffee Lake engineering samples were used on Z270 motherboards. It has essentially been called a firmware lockout because lower end Z170/270 boards may fail to provide adequate power.

So yes, BIOS hacks could enable compatibility.

·
Avid Memer
5,958 Posts
However you want to cut it, they're incompatible. Coffee Lake has fewer reserved pins.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The "fewer reserved pins" are EXCLUSIVELY power delivery. Coffee Lake was used on older LGA 1151 sockets during development then locked out by firmware due to some motherboards being unable to provide sufficient power without those additional pins.

If the lockout is related to firmware and not signaling, it can absolutely be hacked to allow for compatibility.

That doesn't mean Coffee Lake will run properly on a $90 Z270 board - or any Z270 board for that katter. It only means that Coffee Lake's signaling is identical to all other LGA 1151 CPUs.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well that answers my question peoples,,thank you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts