Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wich would i be better off getting? a socket 939 or a socket 754? i mean i can get a 1.8GHz 3000+ s939 winchester core 90nm CPU for $150 but i can get a 2.4GHz s754 newcastle 0.13micron for $200 and hell evan the s754 3000+ is 2GHz for $150 so yeah im confused dunno what to do HELP!!!!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

With the extra 50 you could get a good heatsink/fan combo. Get that 3000+ and some good ram, and overclock to hell.

Plus when the time comes for you to buy a pci-express mobo and card, you can just switch over the processor instead of having to buy a new one. )754 doesnt and most likely wont ever have pci-e mobo's. 939 is the future , 754 is just a stepping stone.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Get the 754 3400. 2.4GHz is very fast, and by the time you would upgrade to PCI express or whatever, your dinky 939 3000 would be far outdated
Better yet, go for a Mobile of DTR chip on Socket 754 and get the ClawHammer core with 1MB of L2 that's just as fast as an FX chips for 1/4 the cost.

·
Banned
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dude No offence but i think il save money going 939 becuz if i want to upgrade all i gotta do is throw in a new CPU and besides PCI-E is the future

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
These days you really cant seem to future proof with all the new advancements. My advice would be to get the best bang for your buck and not worry too much about whether or not youll be able to upgrade in a year or so. Nothing will ever be good enough to keep up with the latest and greatest down the road.

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tw33k2514
Dude No offence but i think il save money going 939 becuz if i want to upgrade all i gotta do is throw in a new CPU and besides PCI-E is the future
i agree

sry yiffy

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Heh... who here can actually say they have a future proof computer? Things change, it's the way of the industry. As digitalfreak said, I feel it's better to splurge and get yourself a nice system to enjoy while you have it instead of try to be ready for the "future" Cause the fact of the matter is my system will beat yours into the ground
PCI-e is the future... but AGP is far from dead, it's still got another year or 2 to go.

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy
Heh... who here can actually say they have a future proof computer? Things change, it's the way of the industry. As digitalfreak said, I feel it's better to splurge and get yourself a nice system to enjoy while you have it instead of try to be ready for the "future" Cause the fact of the matter is my system will beat yours into the ground
PCI-e is the future... but AGP is far from dead, it's still got another year or 2 to go.
true enough

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
pci-e wont be the common thing for a while

get what you can now, save money if u can for a nice video card/hdd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts