Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i was wondering whts so good about socket 939 vs. socket 754. can some1 help me decide over athalon 64 3000+ 939 or a 754

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by snake griffon

hi, i was wondering whts so good about socket 939 vs. socket 754. can some1 help me decide over athalon 64 3000+ 939 or a 754

well for one thing the 754 is getting phased out, 939 is the direction AMD's heading in. 754 is cool if you get a clawhammer cuz of the 1mb L2 but they're not gonna be making any newer 754's.

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
in short, 754 is limited and already dieing, unless you want an unlocked A64 go skt939

ed- lol beat me to it trans

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
at present time set aside the dual channel aspect and it comes down to when and how you want your next CPU upgrade.
for me my next upgrade after this last one will be a long time down the road and socket 939 will be better than they are now with better boards and chip sets, or be on there way out. there for I opted to order a socket 754.

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
754 has some life in it still, the unlocked A64s
if buying a skt939 now deff make sure the board has PCIE, im personally waiting about a year to see if DDR2 improves and to see if AMD use DDR2 like they promised if it improves.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ket

754 has some life in it still, the unlocked A64s
if buying a skt939 now deff make sure the board has PCIE, im personally waiting about a year to see if DDR2 improves and to see if AMD use DDR2 like they promised if it improves.

Thats not going to happen for awhile because amd would have to redesign their whole cpu architecture to use DDR2.

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
dual core FX60 prehaps before AMD use DDR2? thatll be a shame as DDR2 looks promising. on one hand though AMD may not need to change the CPU, the future chipsets may be able to have DDR2 support implemented into them by having an independant controller, unlikely i know but hey you never know whats gonna happen next with new technology.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
DDR2 memory usage is sechudled for early to mid 2006 for AMD. Like Evil said, to use the memory AMD would have to design a new memory controller or at least update the curent one, and that's suprisingly difficult/expensive from what I understand. Not like AMD needs it anyway, still kicking butt and taking names on a 400MHz memory bus
Dual core chips will contine to use DDR1 and will also use Socket 939.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, i know a little of thtat but what exactly is it that socket 939 means?? i had a similar question about 64 bit, and got a similar response. it took a while to find out exactly what it means, and what it is that i am paying more for, does anyone have a link 2 a site or something that explains the meaning of this, in like how the 939 has anything to do with bits, and data lines???? thanks

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
The only difference between Socket 754 and 939 is 939 supposrt a dual channel memory bus which provides about an 80% increase in total memory bandwidth. But it offers a very small (less than 10%) difference in performance.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so the 939 is overpriced??? because it seemed to be at a pretty outrageous price compared to the 754, and i thought tht it would include many improvements- guess i'll just get the 754 then

1 - 12 of 12 Posts