Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'Ello all...im in the process of overclocking my current system before putting together(and O'Cing) a new set up.My main problem at the moment is current motherboard,the Asrock K7vm4 where i cant lock AGP/PCI...any FSB over 190 /multiplier locked at 11 and PCI is hitting 38,system will boot into Windows ok but soon locks up....CPU heat is not a problem,have a thermaltake silent boost on cpu,temps rarely above 45 max.RAM seems ok tho' can only adjust CAS through BIOS,the 2 sticks are at 2.5,3,3,8 (i tried setting CAS to 3 resulting in system only recognising 1 stick),vcore set at 1.75,a 5% increase which only BIOS option....in short i reckon the lack of mobo BIOS options is holding me back(and the locked multiplier) so......im looking for a decent socket A mobo with good BIOS options,any suggestions...hehe i ve just an hour ago decided on getting another board so have done no searching me'self yet although i see http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1 this one which im thinkin of tho' apparently has no vcore adjustment-think thatll be an issue for the Barton?.Regards all.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Try the 200MHz and above ... that will get you back to PCI/AGP bus standards.

• Rep+
Reactions: panzer-g-man

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by panzer-g-man

'Ello all...im in the process of overclocking my current system before putting together(and O'Cing) a new set up.My main problem at the moment is current motherboard,the Asrock K7vm4 where i cant lock AGP/PCI...any FSB over 190 /multiplier locked at 11 and PCI is hitting 38,system will boot into Windows ok but soon locks up....CPU heat is not a problem,have a thermaltake silent boost on cpu,temps rarely above 45 max.RAM seems ok tho' can only adjust CAS through BIOS,the 2 sticks are at 2.5,3,3,8 (i tried setting CAS to 3 resulting in system only recognising 1 stick),vcore set at 1.75,a 5% increase which only BIOS option....in short i reckon the lack of mobo BIOS options is holding me back(and the locked multiplier) so......im looking for a decent socket A mobo with good BIOS options,any suggestions...hehe i ve just an hour ago decided on getting another board so have done no searching me'self yet although i see http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1 this one which im thinkin of tho' apparently has no vcore adjustment-think thatll be an issue for the Barton?.Regards all.

Can't seem to find many good new socketA motherboards around but check out this one based on the nf2 ULTRA 400 northbridge..here

My advise would be to seek out an ABIT AN7 motherboard or from the pages of e-bay..this..ABIT Nf7-S v2.0 for £40 of which I have had two and both proved good overclockers with the AN7 just a little better in voltage control and features.

cheers

• Rep+
Reactions: panzer-g-man

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx....i cant find an AN7 for sale but can get an Abit NF7(stock,not the S or v.2.0) local at a good price..anyone have this board and how is it?Any great difference between it and the v.2.0 aside from increased FSB i.e. poor BIOS features?Regards.

The NF7, based on nForce2 chipset (MCP + SPP), supports the latest AMD Athlon XP, Bartonâ„¢ processors with 200/266/333 FSB (400 FSB support in version 2.0 only), and features new dual 400MHz DDR memory controllers that deliver up to a 50% increase in bandwidth. With the nForceâ„¢2 MCP. the APU (Audio Processing Unit) delivers cinematic-quality sound and 3D positional audio to your home PC. With cutting-edge features and ABIT Engineering, the NF7 series is the ultimate multimedia platform for the world.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
The ver2 is the one to get along side the respected AN7 ... very good BIOS features... the non ver2 is not to desirable. When my previous Albatron board experenced 2 burnt 5+v connectors I went the ebay and found the ver 2 new for $55!

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Yea, I recommend the Abit NF7-S ver.2 (biased since that's what I'm running!). LOTS of BIOS options. However, you probably can't change your multi because it's factory locked. Even if you get a mobo that allows for multi change, you still can't change the multi unless you somehow unlock your chip. If you are looking for something that will allow you to up the fsb with a lot of divider options, then the NF7-S ver. 2 will be a good board. You have to be sure that it is ver.2 because the original version does not support fsb of 200 mhz. It only runs 166 mhz. You can still OC but the max fsb supported by the board wouldn't be too high (methinks about 200ish). I got mine on ebay for like $70. Keep an eye out for these boards, I see them all the time on ebay. Good luck!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Dunno bout OCing, but the K7 triton looked apealing to me due to its abundance of features (FSB and DDR 400, AGP8x etc). My brother used to have one, and his computer was rather enviable at that time. So, i would buy the something from the K7Triton series. Dont know of any problems or anything with them, purely because i havent researched tehm very much, but the appear to be a nice solid board...\\

Again -- Thats Gigabyte K7 Triton series of motherboards. Research em. I was impressed.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Whatever you choose don't choose the same board as me, because it cannot change the vcore. Now I'm stuck at 188fsb.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoma_Andy

Whatever you choose don't choose the same board as me, because it cannot change the vcore. Now I'm stuck at 188fsb.

lol....damn that must blow...lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Believe it or not but i had great succses with the SoYo dragon MoBO, it was my fist board I overclocked, fond memorys

·
Registered
44 Posts
ummm just curious, why bother spending money on this system if you're planning to build a new one?

Just build your new one with some serious parts and OC the crap outta it. You probably won't be using your current system a whole lot anymore if you build your new one.

- Tatusmi

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A learning experience..lol.Only started to find out and oc stuff couple o months ago(starting with gfx card>>>>etc).I bought a new A64 3200 venice then on about to buy everything else i thought "do i really know what im doin?!"I figure to oc everything in current set-up,understand as much as i can what and how im doin it then put together and ramp up the new one.....im not spending much more than £30 on this board if i can find one...im watching an auction for both the Abit nf7-s2 and an Epox 8rda+...trying to find new Socket A non-Asus boards in UK is impossibile.

I reckon what got me thinking "Do i know what im doin?" was busting one of the RAM chips on my 2 month old 6600 gt trying to remove the stock cooler!

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Try the "Edit" button

Get that ver2 if you can

1 - 13 of 13 Posts