Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the cooler on my 8350 when i pulled the stock cooler off it pulled the chip with it. Pulled the chip off the stock cooler reset put it back in now my computer will nt start at all and my video cards fans do not run and i have no display. I pulled the battery and reset the bios nothing. I have all 4 leds on the board and no beep code what should i do now?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
take your cpu back again, and check for bent or missing pins. if everything is ok, maybe some dust went on holes in mother board.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
hmm... have you touched ram? maybe one stick got lose?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
One more thing comes to my mind, electro static discharge. But if you have bought a new mobo it does not matter that much anyway now. I hope that your CPU is alive.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig-Zag View Post

It is now a sad day in my household as my FX8350 is dead THANK YOU MSI ! Now the hunt to find another for under $130 R.I.P 8350 R.I.P
mad.gif
Why would you blame MSI? You did pull the CPU out with the cooler (which I assume is while the locking mechanism was in the 'lock' position).

Do you ensure you are grounded when working on your PC? ie. using an anti-static wrist strap?

·
He bought?
2,306 Posts
I've pulled off my CPU out of the socket a few times with my Phenom II 965 and FX-8350 accidentally, though still works to this day...I usually avoid doing this by twisting the cooler to loosen up the TIM before pulling it off.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaches View Post

I've pulled off my CPU out of the socket a few times with my Phenom II 965 and FX-8350 accidentally, though still works to this day...I usually avoid doing this by twisting the cooler to loosen up the TIM before pulling it off.
I would say a good thing to do is also run the CPU through some form of stress test. This can help loosen up the TIM if it has 'cured' to a harder - glue like consistency.

Just don't think he can blame MSI when it's more-likely a bad removal of the CPU which killed it!

Edit: Grammar.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well went back over the msi and the 8350 and the socket pulled a leg off . Shook the leg out of the board so how do i contact for warranty msi or amd. Picked up a 8320 droped it in the crosshair and red light of death hope it's just the bios. Chip on order.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Quote:

Well went back over the msi and the 8350 and the socket pulled a leg off . Shook the leg out of the board so how do i contact for warranty msi or amd. Picked up a 8320 droped it in the crosshair and red light of death hope it's just the bios. Chip on order.
Don't think a warranty will apply when you've damaged the chip from not being careful. Like a few of us have mentioned there were ways of removing the cooler from the CPU without risking a snapped pin. Sorry, it's just the facts.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
you could try to contact amd to see if they will warranty the chip, but bottom line, amd may not even warranty the chip as you damaged it when pulling it out of the socket. its not MSI's fault or AMD's fault at this point. in the future, if you wish to pull a chip out of a board and you have the stock heatsink on it, turn the machine on for a while, maybe at least 20-30 minutes and then run a stress test for most of that time frame like prime 95 or IBT and then it will loosen up that cured thermal compound. amd's stock thermal grease is known to be more glue like then anything. then when your ready to remove the heatsink, turn off the machine, flip the locking arm on the heatsink loose then give it a slight twist and pull up. usually that will separate the cruddy tim so you don't damage the cpu. the good news then is that at least you know your msi board isn't dead. if you cant get that crosshair V to start working then you might be able to rma that board to asus as usually asus warranties via serial number not original purchaser and should honor that board. try the 8320 you picked up in your MSI, and just be careful about removing chips from boards in the future my friend.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why did amd make such make a crap socket i never had this with any intel iv ever had. Running a stress test was not going to happen as the msi had smoked the vrm.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Quote:

Why did amd make such make a crap socket i never had this with any intel iv ever had. Running a stress test was not going to happen as the msi had smoked the vrm.
You can't blame the manufacturers for your heavy handling of the process!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Quote:

If you had that MSI from your sig then it is no suprise that it blew up. This is one of those worst boards ever made.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by prznar1 View Post

If you had that MSI from your sig then it is no suprise that it blew up. This is one of those worst boards ever made.
That's what i get for buying the 8350 and getting a crap board for free.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.