Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in upgrading my CPU -- I have a 1.4GHz P4

When I bought this computer, P4's were brand spanking new....

Anyway, I have spent some time looking for any info I can find about the possibility of upgrading to a new processor for this ol' clunker. However, I can't seem to find any info out there about Socket W's at all. I know they must exist because I have one!

I checked out your list of all the Intel/AMD CPUs and i didnt see a Socket W on it....

So I'm wondering if anyone here can help me with this probelm?

If nothing else, I would like to explore the posibility of successfully overclocking it. I have unsuccessfully tried overclocking on an old compaq before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps. This is what the Dell support is telling me via their website. I've seen that somewhere else in the past- though I can't recall where. Is there any sure-fire way to find out?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan

I am interested in upgrading my CPU -- I have a 1.4GHz P4

When I bought this computer, P4's were brand spanking new....

Anyway, I have spent some time looking for any info I can find about the possibility of upgrading to a new processor for this ol' clunker. However, I can't seem to find any info out there about Socket W's at all. I know they must exist because I have one!

I checked out your list of all the Intel/AMD CPUs and i didnt see a Socket W on it....

So I'm wondering if anyone here can help me with this probelm?

If nothing else, I would like to explore the posibility of successfully overclocking it. I have unsuccessfully tried overclocking on an old compaq before.

The socket that the 1.4Ghz P4's use was socket 423 it's not around any more. The motherboard might be able to sopport a faster CPU if it sopports 533fsb or you can try to get a socket converter 423 to 478 (if they are still avialbe) and see if there is a 400fsb CPU that you can use (Celoron most likely).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zother

The socket that the 1.4Ghz P4's use was socket 423 it's not around any more. The motherboard might be able to sopport a faster CPU if it sopports 533fsb or you can try to get a socket converter 423 to 478 (if they are still avialbe) and see if there is a 400fsb CPU that you can use (Celoron most likely).

Mine supports 400FSB. I have heard that Celeron's are not the best processor to have. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan

Mine supports 400FSB. I have heard that Celeron's are not the best processor to have. Any thoughts on this?

Ya celerons aren't that good, but still might be better than a 1.4 P4.

That's why I would double check if there is a way to upgrade your board to a 533fsb.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will. The problem is that my computer also has rambus memory. I have had bad luck with using it too. I bought some non-dell rambus, from ebay I think, and they were incompatible with the system, so I had to buy more of it from Dell, which worked just fine. I would hate to buy a new motherboard only to have my memory become useless. It seems like I bought two of the most useless pieces of technology ever invented

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ya Rambus is dead. You can look at some boards based on the 850 chipset. If I remeber correctly the last 850 chipset 850PE?? did sopport an 800 FSB. But boards based on rambus never OCed that well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.