Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

most custom loops i've seen these days are hard tube loops, it makes me wonder if its "worth" going for a soft tube loop, hard tube seems really hard to be done, lots of details to consider

i cant decide
frown.gif

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hard tube just takes practice. If you do staight runs and bend with fittings it's easier, but........more expensive.
There is a thread dedicated to bending acrylic if you want to go that route too.

Buy a few 500mm lengths acrylic, or PETG tubes and fitting to match the diameter and give it a try.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtocooling View Post

Hard tube just takes practice. If you do staight runs and bend with fittings it's easier, but........more expensive.
There is a thread dedicated to bending acrylic if you want to go that route too.

Buy a few 500mm lengths acrylic, or PETG tubes and fitting to match the diameter and give it a try.
yeahh thing is that if i wont manage to do it well, i will have to reorder new compression fittings and stuff
frown.gif

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reystar View Post

yeahh thing is that if i wont manage to do it well, i will have to reorder new compression fittings and stuff
frown.gif
I did soft my first 2 builds, then moved to acrylic because I didn't like the look of my soft tubING way to messy.

I realized all my angle fittings were female end so I just needed new connector fittings in the new diameter.

If your nervous try barrow fittings to start from Modmymods. They are pretty cheep and you can see if they work for you.

Look at as many build logs as you can fit inspiration. B Neg, Snef, Akira, Costa. These are just a few of the many awesome builders I can think of.

·
PC Evangelist
46,980 Posts
I have both. I think soft its much easier to build with especially first time. Hard tube is a lot easier to make look good.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Hey guys, I would like some feedback on the hard tubes vs. soft tubes.

I can see most of you are using hard tubes for your loops.

I'm was thinking of going with soft tubing 1/2 ID 3/4 OD in straight lines, using 90° fittings for the bends,

but then I realized, if I'm going to spend that kind of money on 90° fittings, I might as well go with hard tubes,

If the 1/2 ID 3/4 OD soft tubes works just like hard tubes, perhaps I'll just stick with the soft tubes,
if they are stiff enough to keep the shape of the pipe work with the 90° fittings

I'll be using it along the quick release fittings to avoid having to drain / refill every time i need to swap some parts in / out of the loop.

If I do end up going for hard tubes, I'll probably pick up the PETG since that's what everyone is recommending.

On EK site I only see 2 sizes 12/16mm 500mm and 10/12mm 500mm for PETG tubes, ...
is that the equivalent of compression soft tubes 12/16mm (7/16'' - 5/8'') and 10/13mm (3/8'' - 1/2'') sizes?

Are hard tubes compatible with Compression Quick Release fittings? like the ones from Koolance,
you know the tube being hard and all, I don't see much room to uncouple 2 segments without affecting the rest of the loop.

How much bend are PETG tubes able to withstand before affecting other components or breaking? (from description PETG should be more flexible than Acrylic tubes)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Soft tubing is miles easier to build any loop. Without any special effort you can finish loop in couple hours. Soft tubing also has side bonus if you create liquid cooled system where environment is less than ideal (like warehouse workstation). It's elastic, it can survive even strong hits to the case without causing possible leak. Granted not many folks build for such extreme conditions, but I do so in this particular example rubber tubing is the obvious choice for me - substance over form.

Hard tubing is not that easy. And for first timer at liquid cooling it will take some/a lot of practice depending on skills at creative work and eye-balling stuff without using needless tools. I would advise against making bends with fittings. It adds needless weight to the tubing. For first timer, if you decide to go hard tubing, get PETG. It's much easier to work with, it's much easier to cut than acrylic (PMMA). You can make much tighter bends, it's very elastic when compared with PMMA and it requires much lower temperature to heat-up.

There is also small trade-off with PETG. It has slight bluish tint, so not all colors look exactly as advertised (unless you go with pastel).

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypsylon View Post

There is also small trade-off with PETG. It has slight bluish tint, so not all colors look exactly as advertised (unless you go with pastel).
Thanks! i didn't know about this, very interesting, it's good to know when trying to use clear colors.

·
Registered
563 Posts
i still have like 40ft of black tube, 20ft of white and about 25ft of clear. Thats why i keep building soft tube. I did a copper tube build a while back though, very fun
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
154 Posts
wow very nice the difference is amazing. I am a first timer and doing soft first I did buy some petg to practice on for the swap out.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
My first two builds were soft. Latest was PETG.

Watercooling is rewarding period for me but the PETG build is absolutely my best looking and it's not even close.

It does take some planning and I'm planning on tearing it down and redoing my pump/res "area" at some point but it's not so difficult.

Just plan to spend more then a night/afternoon with it and it will be way easier to manage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts