Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Adrian Chmielarz, the founder of People Can Fly, has recently revealed that he does not really think gamers are interested in graphics anymore. The Bulletstorm developer continued to comment on the fact that creating an adventure is more important than advanced visuals and that huge graphical detail does not guarantee the success of a title anymore.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Bulle...s-146201.shtml

i have to agree. not that graphics aren't important, but that i'd take gameplay over graphics.

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Indeed.

Crysis was amazing to look at, but average to play, COD4 was average to look at, but amazing to play.

That being said, I do like some nice graphics/physics to actually use the hardware I have. Metro 2033 combines both amazing graphics, and great gameplay, I was honestly amazed when I played it.

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Its nice to have good graphics, as long as the rest of the game is good too. If a game is just about graphics (see Crysis) then its never that interesting. Whereas if you have a game that's good to play, has a good story and really nice graphics it really helps to enhance the experience.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I second that, impressive graphics are great, but I'd rather have mediocre graphics and a really good, long storyline and lots of ingame content

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Well I am fairly picky about graphics. So it would have to be a very good game to make up for it, like Portal, etc. Althought that was very good graphics back in the day. But Yeah I agree, it just has to be a really good game!

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
These debates are always a cop out. Paaalease. In this day in age there is NO reason we cannot have both. To say otherwise is a flat out lie.

Gameplay != Graphics

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
This is excuse for being lazy. A good story line can make a good game. Now add in great graphics. Can make a good game, great.
The unreal engine, stick a fork in it, it's done. I wouldn't spend a dime on a game developed with the unreal. Come on this OLD.
Let them create puzzle games for old ladies, they don't care about graphics.
EA Sucks, Boycott EA

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxFTW View Post
I really hate people who take graphics over gameplay

If you have a game that has graphics like real life... then its not gonna be a game then is it?
Really?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxFTW View Post

If you have a game that has graphics like real life... then its not gonna be a game then is it?
But in all seriousness, why wouldn't you want to not tell the difference visually? I want a game that I can't tell the difference between a screen shot and a high resolution camera snapshot of a flower for example.

Besides, I don't actually want everything I enjoy to be a game. Sometimes I just want an amazing simulator where I could... do anything I wouldn't want to in real life. I like games/simulators that let me do what I want but either can't or would never dare in real life. EX: That black list every one has... you know what I mean.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
I agree, but I still think there should be good graphics.

I'm not talking Crysis level, but they need to at least be decent. NO lower than Fallout 3's, and that's the lower end of the scale.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinWaffle View Post
Indeed.

Crysis was amazing to look at, but average to play, COD4 was average to look at, but amazing to play.

That being said, I do like some nice graphics/physics to actually use the hardware I have. Metro 2033 combines both amazing graphics, and great gameplay, I was honestly amazed when I played it.
Metro 2033 has good graphics, horrible tesselation performance (which is very unnoticeable if tesselation is even on half the time), moderate gameplay, and amazing storyline.

Graphics are important, and in fact, I do care -- and I'm a gamer. I've even played competitive play where skills > whatever the game looks like or sounds. Once something better looking comes out we have something to compare it to, and over time, I for one get very repelled by the game for not looking up to par. I actually find the classics unplayable because the quality of the graphics are just too grose.

·
Kupo! Kupo!
1,309 Posts
I love graphics, the realism of games like BFBC2 and FFXIII is fantastic. However I would still put story before it in priority, gameplay somewhat but story is the most important too me of all. Without a good, long, and interesting story the game just sucks to me.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxFTW
View Post

I was with you for the first part. The second part makes no sense.

I, like most others who posted here, would take good gameplay over good graphics any day of the week.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
YES! Finally a developer that just flat out says it
I already thought bulletstorm was cool, but if they follow that saying they have a new fan :]

·
Banned
4,341 Posts
I require both. Good graphics ie Artistic design and general ingenuity into textures and world design, and good gameplay to go along with it.

There is a world of difference between graphics of say Crysis and borderlands. Both looking cutting edge for different reasons.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts