Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Santa Clara, California-based Intel is expected to update its lineup of Core i7 processors with the addition of two new models, both of which will be targeted at the high-end enthusiast market segment. The upcoming top high-end CPU model, dubbed Core i7 975, will become Intel's new flagship consumer CPU as it will boast a core speed of 3.33GHz. The lower-powered Core i7 950 will boost a core speed of 3.06GHz. Both models are expected to become available at the end of May.

According to a recent update of the chip maker’s pricing list, the new CPUs should be out on May 31. The highly rumored Core i7 975 model will be priced at US$999, while the Core i7 950 will be available for US$562. The price difference between the two is significant but doesn't necessarily reflect the difference in clock speed. While the higher-end Core i7 975 will boast a core speed of 3.33GHz, the Core i7 950 will be featured at a frequency of 3.06GHz.

The updated price list also hints at some other new Intel processors, part of the company's extensive lineup of Core 2 Quad CPUs. Before the launch of the company's new Nehalem-based processors, a couple of new mid-tied versions of the Core 2 Quad S models will be made available. On April 19, Intel will introduce the Core 2 Quad Q8400 and the Core 2 Quad Q8400S, both of which will be featured at a core speed of 2.66GHz. Price-wise, these new models will be offered for US$183 and US$245, respectively.

On the same day as the new Core i7 processors, Intel will reveal the Core 2 Duo E7600, priced at US$133, the Pentium Dual-Core E6300 and the Celeron Dual-Core E1600, priced at US$84 and US$53, respectively

Source

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
there seems to be an interesting line-up for the low end segment for intels. it seems like intel wants to win the lower end market as well. but no new for the mid ranged.

·
Senior Overclocker
5,060 Posts
you would have to be ******ed to buy the 975 instead of the 950

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
965 is so expensive?... why is it the same price as the i7 940 extreme? or is this an extreme?

·
Iconoclast
30,615 Posts
Prices are pretty much exactly at the levels of the 965 and 940 that they are replacing. This is 100% as expected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryptedvick
View Post

you would have to be ******ed to buy the 975 instead of the 950

Unless you need the unlocked multiplier for OC at sub-ambient temps.

·
Banned
3,583 Posts
The prices of these processors are embarrassing to Intel. It's really making me crazy. I would love to have a Core i7, but for a 920 and a good tri-sli motherboard would cost me 500-700$. I bought my entire system i have today for 919$ and it o=bliterates everything i can throw at it. They really need to make the Core i7 for non wealthy people as the worlds economy turns into a giant basket of ****.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
There will be always ******ed people that will buy the i7 975 with air-cooling

It's not worth a penny IMO if you're not using phase-change cooling / LN2.

·
Iconoclast
30,615 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by [Teh Root]
View Post

The prices of these processors are embarrassing to Intel. It's really making me crazy. I would love to have a Core i7, but for a 920 and a good tri-sli motherboard would cost me 500-700$. I bought my entire system i have today for 919$ and it o=bliterates everything i can throw at it. They really need to make the Core i7 for non wealthy people as the worlds economy turns into a giant basket of ****.

Tri-SLI for non wealthy people? That's a bit of a contradiction, don't you think?

Intel is having no trouble selling the i7 at it's current prices. There is very little incentive to make the cheaper.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by [Teh Root] View Post
i5?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
Tri-SLI for non wealthy people? That's a bit of a contradiction, don't you think?

Intel is having no trouble selling the i7 at it's current prices. There is very little incentive to make the cheaper.
I can think of 3 9600 GSOs that I would like to TriSli and not spend much on. But you are right, TriSli is expensive because of the motherboard, the power used, the cards needed, not to mention the resolutions you'd be playing at requires an above average monitor.

My question is, however, why replace what isn't broken? They could just introduce new revisions/steppings to the current crop and make everything handy dandy.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
If you already own a i7 940 or a i7 965 there is no reason to buy the 950 or 975.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
i7 currently has less than 1% of the market share and it doesn't look like its getting any bigger, especially when i5 comes out. People are just sticking with 775 for right now.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
So one of the new Pentium processors is going to be the E6300? Like the low-level, 1.83GHz CPU from the Core 2 launch? Would it have been that big of a deal to pick other numbers?

·
!
17,294 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weedvender View Post
I can think of 3 9600 GSOs that I would like to TriSli and not spend much on. But you are right, TriSli is expensive because of the motherboard, the power used, the cards needed, not to mention the resolutions you'd be playing at requires an above average monitor.

My question is, however, why replace what isn't broken? They could just introduce new revisions/steppings to the current crop and make everything handy dandy.
GSO's don't tri-sli lol
Neither do 9800GT's

Only 8800GTS (G92) and above Tri-SLI

·
Iconoclast
30,615 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CAHOP240 View Post
i7 currently has less than 1% of the market share and it doesn't look like its getting any bigger, especially when i5 comes out. People are just sticking with 775 for right now.
And?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomagenesis View Post
I'm assuming this means the price of the 920 won't go down?
Probably not.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 45nm View Post
If you already own a i7 940 or a i7 965 there is no reason to buy the 950 or 975.
would apply to someone having a 920 as well...

·
Premium Member
20,338 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sLowEnd View Post
GSO's don't tri-sli lol
Neither do 9800GT's

Only 8800GTS (G92) and above Tri-SLI
You cannot tri-sli 8800gts (G92). The only cards in the 8 series that can be tri-sli is the 8800gtx and the 8800 ultra.

I keep looking for a reason to go i7 but my Q9650 is so darn good on air, its pointless.
LL
LL

1 - 20 of 35 Posts