Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·

13,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
All the talk about AMD's Bulldozer processors seems to have Intel really worried, as the company plans to release in the third quarter of the year a new LGA 1366 CPU dubbed the Core i7 995X Extreme Edition CPU that will feature six processing cores and will work at 3.6GHz.
inteltoreleaseitsfastes.jpg

SOURCE

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
... and it will sell like pancakes
wink.gif

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
new stepping perhaps?

·
Iconoclast
30,611 Posts
If I can somehow acquire one for less than 300 dollars, I'll be happy to do a comparison.

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSG502;13007735
Smells like a rebrand. Have Intel been talking with nVidia at the bar recently?
Oh god you did not just relate re-branding and processors?!
doh.gif
doh.gif

·
Registered
879 Posts
Intel can't seriously be shakin' in their boots can they? I mean there are no solid facts on the Zambezi but I guess Fusion has them scared ****less

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I think over the next few months AMD will gain some marketshare - but once intel releases its next line of CPUs (eg X79) - I think we will be back to square 1 ~ not that 95% of users need that much CPU power

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Yet another cash cow for Intel? Mark the chip as "extreme" and add a couple of hundred dollars to the price. I can't believe people keep buying these.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Would be cool if they'ld ever become affordable, so that I could swap my 920 for one of those puppies, but that would cut in their SB sales too much... Typical Intel strategy, P3 Tualatin all over again...

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
What does releasing a (super high-end) Intel chip have anything to do with BD? They're not even remotely marketed toward the same people.

Sounds like people are just trying to ruffle the feathers.

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
Those that have said intel are just trying to make the last bit of cash from the LGA 1366 series, are wrong, it costs way more on development than what they will ever make on these chips. They will hardly recover their costs for these. On the other hand, take a mainstream chip (i3/i5) and those will make their value several times over. These are just to show what technology can do, and are for the 2% of cpu consumers that actually can and do buy them. nothing more than a hugely expensive marketing stunt for intel, and e-peen for the consumer(not that there is anything wrong with that
tongue.gif
).
Quote:
I think over the next few months AMD will gain some market share - but once intel releases its next line of CPUs (eg X79) - I think we will be back to square 1 ~ not that 95% of users need that much CPU power
No you are wrong here, Intels x79 will hardly make them any money, however Sandy is where they will have their cash cow. Same with AMD, the lower end chips is where the cash is to be made, and the higher end is just to show off and get the guys to buy their cheaper relations.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Interesting timing that Intel has planned for the release of the 995x. It coincides with the supposed X79/LGA2011 launch. This makes it apparent that Intel is still keen on squeezing out as much money as they can from an already obsolete socket/chipset. However it should be pointed out that this will merely be a refresh of the 990X.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemTech;13008023
Those that have said intel are just trying to make the last bit of cash from the LGA 1366 series, are wrong, it costs way more on development than what they will ever make on these chips. They will hardly recover their costs for these. On the other hand, take a mainstream chip (i3/i5) and those will make their value several times over. These are just to show what technology can do, and are for the 2% of cpu consumers that actually can and do buy them. nothing more than a hugely expensive marketing stunt for intel, and e-peen for the consumer(not that there is anything wrong with that
tongue.gif
).

No you are wrong here, Intels x79 will hardly make them any money, however Sandy is where they will have their cash cow. Same with AMD, the lower end chips is where the cash is to be made, and the higher end is just to show off and get the guys to buy their cheaper relations.
I wonder how much of their profits are from the lower end chips vs server chips vs enthusiast chips such as the 980x,990x etc. Would be interesting to know.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts