Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Stop pre-ordering games
Joined
·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi OCN, I'm looking for a few recommendations for good 'Tough' stress testing software to test my GPU's stability. I've always used a couple hours on Unigine Valley and Heaven, and a bit of 3DMark 11 as a suitable stability test, but due to a Windows reinstall I can no longer run Unigine software and if I remember correctly, 3DMark 11 isn't that tough to pass.

So I'm wondering what you would recommend??? I currently only have AIDA64 Extreme installed which is a CPU test, but also does GPU's but I don't know if it's any good at GPU testing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,024 Posts
Not sure if it's a quirk of Nvidia Maxwell cards but I found that 3D Mark Skydiver would crash if unstable way before anything else. I think it's best to run everything you can anyway to try and trip the card up, any built in game benches you might have, like Metro Last Light etc. Dont really understand why a Windows reinstall prevents Uniengine running though ?

Not to be contrary for the sake of it, but I think Fur mark is pretty much obsolete these days, it only serves to overheat the card without really finding instability in games AFAIK. I haven't used it for a while now.
 

·
Iconoclast
Joined
·
30,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria4949 View Post

Hi OCN, I'm looking for a few recommendations for good 'Tough' stress testing software to test my GPU's stability. I've always used a couple hours on Unigine Valley and Heaven, and a bit of 3DMark 11 as a suitable stability test, but due to a Windows reinstall I can no longer run Unigine software and if I remember correctly, 3DMark 11 isn't that tough to pass.

So I'm wondering what you would recommend??? I currently only have AIDA64 Extreme installed which is a CPU test, but also does GPU's but I don't know if it's any good at GPU testing.
What about a Windows reinstall is keeping you from running Unigine?

OCCT has a GPU test with an artifact scanner that is phenomenally demanding at certain settings.

FireStrike, as others have noted, is indeed prone to artifacting if there is any substantial instability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slink3Slyde View Post

t I think Fur mark is pretty much obsolete these days, it only serves to overheat the card without really finding instability in games AFAIK. I haven't used it for a while now.
FurMark has no artifact scanner and often won't produce visual artifiacting when some other tests would.

However, it's still a great cooling and power delivery stress test.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,627 Posts
Why not just run a game? Ive testing instability this way for ages. I dont "play" benchmarks lol. For me a stable overclock is one that actually works and is stable in games.
 

·
Old dog, old tricks
Joined
·
9,755 Posts
Furmark or Kombustor. They are essentially the same test. Not too good for stability testing, but perfect for temperature testing.
 

·
Iconoclast
Joined
·
30,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej511 View Post

For me a stable overclock is one that actually works and is stable in games.
Precisely why just using games is less than ideal. You have to be pretty damn unstable to actually see artifacts or crash a game beyond infrequent occurrences, so intermittent issues can still present themselves at clocks one thought were stable.

My recommendation is always to run as many tests as is reasonably possible, and don't use settings that are unstable/unusable in any of them.

If it's too hot or crashes in FurMark or OCCT, I won't use those settings.

If produces artifacts that I can't see in a test that scans for artifacts, I won't use those settings.

If it produces problems I can see in stress tests or actual games, I won't use those settings.

My gaming OCs thus end up a fair bit lower than most, but I have very high confidence that any issue I encounter is not related to the GPU OC. Someone who encounters an issue during normal use, after only looping a game or two for a few hours, has only the flimsiest of grounds to assume stability of their OC.
 

·
Stop pre-ordering games
Joined
·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slink3Slyde View Post

Not sure if it's a quirk of Nvidia Maxwell cards but I found that 3D Mark Skydiver would crash if unstable way before anything else. I think it's best to run everything you can anyway to try and trip the card up, any built in game benches you might have, like Metro Last Light etc. Dont really understand why a Windows reinstall prevents Uniengine running though ?

Not to be contrary for the sake of it, but I think Fur mark is pretty much obsolete these days, it only serves to overheat the card without really finding instability in games AFAIK. I haven't used it for a while now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

What about a Windows reinstall is keeping you from running Unigine?

OCCT has a GPU test with an artifact scanner that is phenomenally demanding at certain settings.

FireStrike, as others have noted, is indeed prone to artifacting if there is any substantial instability.
FurMark has no artifact scanner and often won't produce visual artifiacting when some other tests would.

However, it's still a great cooling and power delivery stress test.
That's for the input. Sorry I should've gave a little detail on the Windows reinstall issue. I built a custom Windows Image to streamline Windows, taking the install size down from 20+GB to under 6GB, causing it to run faster and smoother with half the amount of background processes running all the time.
I removed all the junk I haven't used since early WinXP days: Fax & Floppy support, MS help center, accessibility stuff, all Windows media, action center, parental controls.... and loads of other stuff, including Internet Explorer. An unfortunate side effect is, all Unigine software looks for IE first when a test is complete, it checks for IE then looks if you have a different browser set as your default and opens in that, but without IE being there Unigine apps get confused and simply won't even run, the apps CTD on startup.
 

·
Stop pre-ordering games
Joined
·
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone.

I have to say, I'm a little dubious of Furmark as it was abandoned over 5 years ago so it's pretty out of date, I'm wondering if it's even suitable for modern cards.
Googling beings up lots of guides and posts, many recommend Furmark, but 99% of those posts are from 2008-2013, and the few I've found from within the past 12-18 months, actively don't recommend Furmark as it's out of date and easy to pass. Most recommend Valley or Heaven haha, which are to 2 apps I physically can not use. Just my luck
rolleyes.gif


Someone just recommended to me: The Final Fantasy Heavensward Benchmark as a good one, because it loops continuously and apparently really pushes any cards. Anyone ever used this, or even heard of it???
 

·
Old dog, old tricks
Joined
·
9,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria4949 View Post

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone.

I have to say, I'm a little dubious of Furmark as it was abandoned over 5 years ago so it's pretty out of date, I'm wondering if it's even suitable for modern cards.
Googling beings up lots of guides and posts, many recommend Furmark, but 99% of those posts are from 2008-2013, and the few I've found from within the past 12-18 months, actively don't recommend Furmark as it's out of date and easy to pass. Most recommend Valley or Heaven haha, which are to 2 apps I physically can not use. Just my luck
rolleyes.gif


Someone just recommended to me: The Final Fantasy Heavensward Benchmark as a good one, because it loops continuously and apparently really pushes any cards. Anyone ever used this, or even heard of it???
Different benchmarks have different purposes. Some aim to measure performance, some aim to showcase a realistic load scenario, some aim to test stability, and some aim to punish the core to the maximum.
Furmark is of the last type, and it doesn't require any updates really, it just works. It does not load VRAM though, keep that in mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I'm playing directx-11 and opengl games on 1150 MHz but the only one directx-12 game I'm playing lets me overclock to 1225 MHz. All without extra voltage. Game is forza motorsport 6 apex beta and it stresses gpu to %99 with proper graphics settings. For catzilla and 3dmark benchmarks, it can crash even at 1000 MHz. Maybe it is related to voltage regulators idk.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top