Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know theres been threads about this, but none of the software ive tried so far has actually made my computer any faster, if anything its just slowed it down..

I would like a software that can:
Speed up general use (e.g. chrome opening time)
make logon faster
automatically delete rubbish you do not need
defrag/clean up your computer every day or week etc..

thank you.
biggrin.gif

·
Filthy Casual
2,949 Posts
You can try this http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html IDK how it improves normal programs but it works with CPU heavy games if you have your system bogged down with start-up entries and background apps.

·
Registered
218 Posts
W7 automatically defrags your HD unless you set it not to. Ccleaner can delete unneeded files and clean your registry, and you can set it to run on a schedule if you want. If you installed your OS on a SSD that would speed everything up a lot.

·
Filthy Casual
2,949 Posts
Cleaning the registry is not recommended. But the Speccyand and Recuva functions of Ccleaner will help
smile.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: jdcrispe95

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajer29;12056810
You can try this http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html IDK how it improves normal programs but it works with CPU heavy games if you have your system bogged down with start-up entries and background apps.
But beware. Lots of services and programs that you need for your daily use would be shutdown. So it won't really work.

Best thing is to manually stop startup programs and stop services that you don't need.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Manually disable Services that you know you don't use...I wouldn't recommend it if you don't know what you're doing. Msconfig...you can uncheck startup items you don't use as well, but same as what I stated above.

Otherwise, another vote for Ccleaner.
smile.gif

·
Filthy Casual
2,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kora04;12056870
But beware. Lots of services and programs that you need for your daily use would be shutdown. So it won't really work.

Best thing is to manually stop startup programs and stop services that you don't need.
Right-O chap... just a suggestion
biggrin.gif

Just type msconfig in the old start box of your windows start menu (or "Run" box) and you have all most manual startup options at your fingertips.

·
Banned
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kora04;12056870

I dont know anything about the services with windows 7, things I could end on XP, I cannot end on 7, otherwise things mess up (like aero, or my internet, or audio)

Thanks for all the input so far, I am downloading CCleaner now, I will look into boostspeed.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajer29;12056915
Right-O chap... just a suggestion
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
I know you're probably looking for something free but all of the things you are wanting to increase speeds of are your hard drive performance. If you want to see performance increases on the level of near instantaneous then get a cheap 32 GB SSD for your OS+main apps.

60GB Agility2 $90 AMIR

·
Banned
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowclock;12057057
I know you're probably looking for something free but all of the things you are wanting to increase speeds of are your hard drive performance. If you want to see performance increases on the level of near instantaneous then get a cheap 32 GB SSD for your OS+main apps.
SSD's are not available in my area.

I can pay for software if its a MUST.
redface.gif

Thank you so much for all the input so far guys, i have done all the things you've suggested so far, Ive scanned/defragged/disabled services/stopped startup items etc
biggrin.gif

I will rep the people who deserve it.
smile.gif

·
Filthy Casual
2,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowclock;12057057
Agreed, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167030&cm_re=intel_SSD-_-20-167-030-_-Product is really cheap now. It's what I have in my sig rig and I love it
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: jdcrispe95

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrispe95;12056956
Ccleaner:
CLEANING COMPLETE - (6.804 secs)

185.2 MB removed.

Good
biggrin.gif

Getting there
tongue.gif
Like 185.2MB matter.....
wink.gif

·
The Computer Guy
6,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrispe95;12056789
I know theres been threads about this, but none of the software ive tried so far has actually made my computer any faster, if anything its just slowed it down..

I would like a software that can:
Speed up general use (e.g. chrome opening time)
make logon faster
automatically delete rubbish you do not need
defrag/clean up your computer every day or week etc..

thank you.
biggrin.gif
this is a very good cleaner http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/boost-speed/

it's what i use.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts