Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember one of Thermalright's claims was that their soldered fins were better than press-fit, but is it true?

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Yes. The solder provides a better heat-transfer interface.

Imagine the CPU die to IHS heat transfer: Nothing versus paste versus solder. No TIM performs worst, paste TIM would be in the middle, and solder TIM performs best. The same goes for transferring heat between heat pipe and heat-dissipating fins.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Iconoclast
30,449 Posts
All other things being equal, soldered fins are a bit better than compression fit. All other things are rarely equal, however.

Why isn't the phanteks ph-tc14pe a lot worse than the Thermalright Silver Arrow?
I'm not entirely sure the Silver Arrow has soldered fins, but I'm fairly certain the Phanteks does.

The PH-TC14PE also has 5x8mm heatpipes rather than four.

Test doesn't seem to be using the same fans for each heatsink, so it's hard to compare them.

Would press-fit heatsinks tend to lose performance over time because the repeated heating/cooling cycles would loosen the fins from the heatpipes?
That's a good question. I've never seen it tested and can't say that I've noticed any degradation in the performance of heatsinks with compression fit fins over time, but it does sound like a plausible concern.

·
Premium Member
27,147 Posts
Why isn't the phanteks ph-tc14pe a lot worse than the Thermalright Silver Arrow?

https://www.vortez.net/index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=10748

from article

https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/phanteks_ph_tc14pe_cpu_cooler_review,12.html

Would press-fit heatsinks tend to lose performance over time because the repeated heating/cooling cycles would loosen the fins from the heatpipes?
In that review (7 years old now) that PH-TC14PE had original PH-F140TS 1200rpm variable voltage fans .. and the PH-TC14PE has soldered fins to heatpipe too. ;)

All their testing was done in a case built system with stock case fans using room ambient air temp not cooler intake air temp, so not really an accurate test of cooler performance, but instead a test of how their system performed with different coolers. ;)

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In that review (7 years old now) that PH-TC14PE had original PH-F140TS 1200rpm variable voltage fans .. and the PH-TC14PE has soldered fins to heatpipe too. ;)

All their testing was done in a case built system with stock case fans using room ambient air temp not cooler intake air temp, so not really an accurate test of cooler performance, but instead a test of how their system performed with different coolers. ;)
My Phanteks ph-tc14pe doesn't have soldered fins I know this because the lowest fin fell off and there's no evidence of any solder on it at all.

·
Premium Member
27,147 Posts
My Phanteks ph-tc14pe doesn't have soldered fins I know this because the lowest fin fell off and there's no evidence of any solder on it at all.
I'm assuming it is a 2 piece fin or lowest fin couldn't fall off, so I'll assume it was supposed to be soldered on but was done poorly. My first PH-TC14PE had a bottom fin come loose. Phanteks sent me a new cooler and return shipping label. Your is the only other one I've heard of that had a fin come off.. The new (last 8 months or so) PH-TC14PE coolers have 1-piece fins. I have only seen pics of them and as far as I know none have been tested in reviews.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm assuming it is a 2 piece fin or lowest fin couldn't fall off, so I'll assume it was supposed to be soldered on but was done poorly. My first PH-TC14PE had a bottom fin come loose. Phanteks sent me a new cooler and return shipping label. Your is the only other one I've heard of that had a fin come off.. The new (last 8 months or so) PH-TC14PE coolers have 1-piece fins. I have only seen pics of them and as far as I know none have been tested in reviews.
This picture doesn't look like the fins are soldered to the heatpipe (and looks exactly like my bottom fins looked like before they fell off):
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Phanteks/PH-TC14PE/3.html

The official phanteks website for the ph-tc14pe doesn't mention a soldered finstack, but thermalright doesn't for their silver arrow either.

Has thermalright stopped soldering their fin stacks to their heat pipes?

·
Premium Member
27,147 Posts
This picture doesn't look like the fins are soldered to the heatpipe (and looks exactly like my bottom fins looked like before they fell off):
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Phanteks/PH-TC14PE/3.html

The official phanteks website for the ph-tc14pe doesn't mention a soldered finstack, but thermalright doesn't for their silver arrow either.

Has thermalright stopped soldering their fin stacks to their heat pipes?
The Phanteks fins are supposed to be soldered. There is something attaching the fins to the heatpipes.

I haven't tried taking a Thermalright cooler apart so don't know for sure. I'll try and see what I find and post it.

·
Premium Member
27,147 Posts
double post

1 - 11 of 11 Posts