Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://theinquirer.net/?article=28647

A FIRM is readying a solid state disk drive aimed at the computer enthusiast and likely to be released this quarter.

The DDR Drive X1 is a PCI Express based plug in card with 8GB of capacity, and bootable.

According to sources close to the firm, the drive will have a custom and upgradeable high performance DMA Engine, an external power jack with a switching AC adaptor, and will go into a 512 unit initial production run.

Although the firm gave no details of the pricing, a solid state drive at an affordable price is likely to be a popular item.

We'll tell you more when there is more to tell you.

go to link for picture

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
x1? Aww, that sucks. My x1 slots will be covered when I get SLi

Corsair RAM, eh? Reckon we can change the sticks?

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Wow that will be awsome.

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
Finaly something comes along that uses PCI-E 1x! That looks sweet too!

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cokker

Why dont they make a proper HDD style DDR ram drive thingy lol? Would it cost too much?

You mean like, in a mettle case that fits in a 3.5" bay in your tower? There is no point.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
I think this is the wave of the future. Once the chips get cheap enough they should come out with like a data platform that will hold around 100gb of data. The only problem I can see is that it would be easy to loose the data in a power failure. But 8gb sounds like an awesome low latency Page file

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoaDMTGguy

You mean like, in a mettle case that fits in a 3.5" bay in your tower? There is no point.

Why not? super fast and no moving parts to go wrong

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
only if it were cheap...
did anyone notice that the hard drive is the biggest bottleneck in all systems?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMaMaz

Aren't we all always saying over 2gb of ram is ridiculous. I don't see the point?

It's bootable,so you could set Xp as a pagefile,so instead of powering up and waiting for windows to come off the HDD it would zip off the DDRdrive.SOo much faster.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
i read about solid state - they reckon it sucks, the companies always say its better than stanard storage but it isnt big enough.

I just hope it all goes well, 8gb is a bit small but its a hell of a start

·
Registered
852 Posts
8 gigs is plenty for windows or if you want, you can just put your page file on it. Sounds like a sweet deal, might put your fav games on it one at a time based on how much you're playing them. Imagine how fast things would load. Would this mean that you could survive with 512 ram and just have a nice big page file?

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin

x1? Aww, that sucks. My x1 slots will be covered when I get SLi

Corsair RAM, eh? Reckon we can change the sticks?

Dont quote me on this but if I remember correctly they sell the card and you provide the ram.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMaMaz

Aren't we all always saying over 2gb of ram is ridiculous. I don't see the point?

It's not RAM, it's a hard drive that utilizes solid state DDR memory, so it'll be blistering fast compared to the standard electro-mechanical hard drives, which are, as bentrinh said, the single biggest bottleneck is a modern computer. It's bootable, meaning not that you can just use it as your pagefile, but you can install your operating system on it, and probably load up Windows in less than ten seconds. 8GB is pretty small, and I don't like the expansion card idea (I'd rather have a "box" of solid state memory that fits into my HDD rack). What we need are flash memory drives. It's cheap, pretty fast, and doesn't need a constant supply of power to maintain its data. There's already some company making a standard hard drive, but it has like 2GB of flash memory on it that you install windows on so it loads your OS (and all related system files) really fast.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I thought flash memory was relatively slow...

I like the idea of Gigabyte's i-RAM. They should just take that and instead of using a PCI slot, put it in the shape of a hard-drive. Even use the big drive bays if you need...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts