Overclock.net banner

Solid state hd vs raptor 300gig

5841 Views 13 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  jrharvey
ok right now i have a single raptor 300g runing my os, im looking to get a little higher performance and i got a little cash to blow right now, i was thinking of buying a 128gig solid state harddrive, and strictly install my most used programs and video games on it and just leave my operating system on the 300g raptor since 128 isnt that much, but it would be perfect to install all my video games on and maybe just a few programs i tinker with like adobe and what not

anyone think ill get a performance boost on reads like lets say in wow,age of conan,crysis .. and upcoming future video games, im a big time gamer so i usually buy any new video games that hit the stores

let me know some educated answers if anyone has some for me, thanks alot

-biueprint
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
You will notice faster loading times , maps will load faster, and programs will launch faster. Do not know the exact difference in performance, but i think you will notice it
thanks akisame, dude those solid state drives are expensive as **** its liek 400 bucks for the 128gig lol thats why i wanted to see if i was gunna notice a difference before i droped that much on a 128gig harddrive lol, what if i got another 300 raptor and run raid 0 vs's just buying that solid state, this throws a little mix in the air, let me know what u think performance wise 2raptor 300's @ raid 0 or just the solid state

im lookin for strictly higher performance in video games
Quote:

They compared a 16GB Solid State drive to a WD Raptor. Vista boot up time was 23 seconds on the WD Raptor 150GB, but on the 16GB Solid State drive the boot up time on the same system was just 10 seconds. Game load times where nearly cut in half and access times of the drives are 0.1 ms compared to 8 ms on the WD Raptor.

This is what i found in a random google search , so i think the only difference in games is the loading time . It's your choice if it's worth it or not .
ok after seing that solidstate video **** this im saving my money and raiding some solid state drives, dude that was ****ing awesome

that was seriously the fastest iv ever seen programs load EVER lol
Make sure you buy the right ssd's. There's still a ton on the market that are slower than the velociraptor. you're looking at least 300 for an upgrade (single ssd). So raid-0 is gonna cost you big.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Indignity
View Post

Check the Hard Disk section mate. Lots of info there.

Oh, and if you haven't seen it yet,

Samsung SSD Awesomeness

Oh dear god....
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by Indignity View Post
Check the Hard Disk section mate. Lots of info there.

Oh, and if you haven't seen it yet,

Samsung SSD Awesomeness

My lord. That was uber. /drooool
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by biueprint
View Post

ok right now i have a single raptor 300g runing my os, im looking to get a little higher performance and i got a little cash to blow right now, i was thinking of buying a 128gig solid state harddrive, and strictly install my most used programs and video games on it and just leave my operating system on the 300g raptor since 128 isnt that much, but it would be perfect to install all my video games on and maybe just a few programs i tinker with like adobe and what not

anyone think ill get a performance boost on reads like lets say in wow,age of conan,crysis .. and upcoming future video games, im a big time gamer so i usually buy any new video games that hit the stores

let me know some educated answers if anyone has some for me, thanks alot

-biueprint

Hey Bliueprint,

The OCZ Vertex 120GB is a solid choice. I am very happy with it and would recommend it
See less See more
i would wait a year or so before going solid state drives.. they will go down in price and will have more capacity. i think my next build will be when i buy a couple of them for a raid0 setup.
yeah, that guy with the 24Hdd's needed an amazing raid card to handle that many drives........lucky he's samsung sponsored.

if i were you i would probably raid-0 two more 300gb raptors (cost less than upgrading to a RAID-0 ssd array)
That 24 SSD in raid is amazing. Im afraid to test how long it will take to open everything in my start menu. I might come back tomorow and its still going. I'm still running 1 7200rpm hard disk, lol.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.