Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im helping my buddy's business build a solid works 2011 rig. they currently have dell p4 rigs that wont run solid works 2011. we are building form my old comp plus some new parts. here is a parts list:

msi h55 gd65
intel i5 750 or i7 870
8 gb's of xms3 1600 cas 9
antec tp650
ziggy 120mm
gtx460 756mb
wd 750gb 32mb
antec 300

so what do you guys think, there may be a good chance that we may be building 10 more

·
Premium Member
16,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there current files take 40+ minutes to render, they render when they save and then they are opened, just with the cpu's. solid works 2011 support gpu rendering. my buddy had loaded up solid works couple weeks ago and did some renders on this amd 955 and gtx260 and the time was much much faster.

they where looking at some dell's they where 1600+ we send maybe 600, they want it to be upgradeable. if we need ssd's later on or more gpu power, we'll upgrade them. all we are doing so is upgrading there computers.

·
Registered
612 Posts
You only have 756mb of video ram with that gtx 460. I could open up even a small model and that gpu would choke. you really need a gpu with more ram and even better would be a real solid modeling card like someone already said firepro or Quadro would be much much better. but that system looks good for upgrades so in the future im sure a better gpu is the way to go. and more ram is always a plus for solid works.

·
Premium Member
16,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got it put together, its a pretty solid rig, we ended up swaping out the 750gb black for a 2tb green at 4.1 it scored in 3dm06 ~25k

·
Registered
40 Posts
Lucky guy at school I have to run Ansys and Solid works on some p4's with onboard gfxs...

I just wish they would let me do it at home even on my C2D it would cut time render and process time down a ton. Hell solid works runs in bootcamp on my macbook twice as fast.

·
Premium Member
16,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
we havent had any issue speed wise, we have had issues with solid works its self. we had a issue with solidworks freezing. we contacted them, its seems that the software cant keep up with the hardware.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts