Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally sick of my EVGA POS motherboard, it is barely stable at stock settings much less at the higher frequencies that we like to run our CPU's at, and am now looking for a board that is

1) A reliable board
2) Good overclocking potential
3) 3-way SLI capible

and a few other things I would like are The ability for a PCI-E ssd to actually work not just BSOD, voltage read points that are not right at the top of the board where my case covers them and be as cheap as possible.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I owned two asus p9x79 the standard edition. With watercooling, It would do 5ghz 24/7 folding stable at 1.51v. Ram was at 2133 10-11-10-28 2t 1.56v though I believe I could have taken this higher with more tweaking. Albeit I had to have a low speed 80mm fan flowing directly on the vrm heatsink above the socket to keep that cool. After I figured I could do that, I dropped it down to [email protected] and folding on it for roughly 3 months with no issues at all.

I sold that set up to donkey, which is on my folding team.

The other that I have, which is the "hers" build in my sig, which is a modest [email protected] iirc. It had run 24/7 since it was purchased, with no issues whatsoever.

I honestly, have no idea why some people pay out the tuckis for what is considered "high end" motherboards.

·
Premium Member
5,437 Posts
Any of the ASUS P9X79 high end boards will serve you well, Deluxe is the best one among the series.

If Rampage IV Extreme wasn't out of stock at most US stores it would be the #1 recommendation for X79 extreme OC board, in its absence the Rampage IV Formula have the same VRM and will serve you well unless you need 8 Ram slots(it only have 4).

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post

Any of the ASUS P9X79 high end boards will serve you well, Deluxe is the best one among the series.

If Rampage IV Extreme wasn't out of stock at most US stores it would be the #1 recommendation for X79 extreme OC board, in its absence the Rampage IV Formula have the same VRM and will serve you well unless you need 8 Ram slots(it only have 4).
i would prefer to have the full 8 RAM slots, that is one thing i sorely miss with my EVGA board.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
The P9X79 Deluxe has served me well. I don't have an issue pushing 4.4GHz at 1.35v vcore. I've run this board with 8 modules of the Samsung "Super OCing" ram (ran them at 1866 Cas 9) without any issues. I actually was debating the RIVE board, but I liked the features/additional ports of the Deluxe over the OCing of the RIVE.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts