Overclock.net banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
That's really nice :)
Is the VRM cooling adequate?
It really can't get worse from the stock cooler tho can it lol

The BIOS you've posted seems to be the stock with the wattage increased a bit.
I wonder why they would have multiple versions in the first place..?
VRMs are cooled with a dedicated fan on the G12, and I put an M.2 heatsink on the three memory modules so it's all good there. Haha the stock cooler is barely adequate; I can't believe they use the exact same cooler on the Ti as well. Must be even worse for those guys.

That bios is a no brainer with its +71W higher board power limit. Will probably never hit 291W in real world without a custom loop, but it's nice to have the clock stability & headroom. I have no idea why it exists to be honest, there must be a slightly different variant somewhere in the world.

·
Registered
772 Posts
That's really nice :)
Is the VRM cooling adequate?
It really can't get worse from the stock cooler tho can it lol

The BIOS you've posted seems to be the stock with the wattage increased a bit.
I wonder why they would have multiple versions in the first place..?
I feel somewhat blessed, MSI offered regular BIOS for my card and also enhanced one, but I would never be aware of it with out personal Scuba Diving at MSI forum for two weeks.
Old posts has extreme value, if you are aware of what you are seeking.

The enhanced one has more steps at fan curve, and the highest is 61% than 51% at normal BIOS.
MSI Afterburner Scanner sensed the difference too, and clocked the GPU even much higher.
High airflow alone this does not keep the GPU cool after a specific point, but for a first time I did see my GPU getting 76 C hot at the scanner test ( 67 C with normal BIOS).
I will test it for a week so to decide if at regular gaming it does offer any benefits.
At regular gaming all GPU they run much cooler than in benchmarks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
VRMs are cooled with a dedicated fan on the G12, and I put an M.2 heatsink on the three memory modules so it's all good there. Haha the stock cooler is barely adequate; I can't believe they use the exact same cooler on the Ti as well. Must be even worse for those guys.

That bios is a no brainer with its +71W higher board power limit. Will probably never hit 291W in real world without a custom loop, but it's nice to have the clock stability & headroom. I have no idea why it exists to be honest, there must be a slightly different variant somewhere in the world.
Could be just the OC and non-OC variant of the Armor series cards, although they have the exist same PID for some reason :p

·
Registered
982 Posts
Anyways, in your setup, I see that you have a MSI GTX 1080 Armor liquid cooled!
Mind showing us how that looks like and was achieved?
Would love to know how it performs as well!
Also would love to know what bios you are using and some benchmark numbers if you've got some!

Thanks in advance!
Better late than never, but here is the G12 rebuilt in the Fractal Meshify 2 Compact. It's not a perfect fit but I am overdue a motherboard upgrade at this point - soundcard and wireless card interfere with the pump lines, but otherwise I think it looks clean considering. The pump lines wouldn't be a tight fit if those cards werent present as they had to be angled diagnonally off the pump to fit.

With it in this new case I can now use a quiet fan profile on the GPU rad and not exceed 54C on a sustained max load. Considering how loud the stock Armor cooler is even trying to keep it at 75C, I really recommend you look into it!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Better late than never, but here is the G12 rebuilt in the Fractal Meshify 2 Compact. It's not a perfect fit but I am overdue a motherboard upgrade at this point - soundcard and wireless card interfere with the pump lines, but otherwise I think it looks clean considering. The pump lines wouldn't be a tight fit if those cards werent present as they had to be angled diagnonally off the pump to fit.

With it in this new case I can now use a quiet fan profile on the GPU rad and not exceed 54C on a sustained max load. Considering how loud the stock Armor cooler is even trying to keep it at 75C, I really recommend you look into it!

View attachment 2487668 View attachment 2487669
Is that setup using a single 120mm rad for the GPU..?
I've always thought that you needed at least a 240mm rad for the GPU and 360mm for the GPU+CPU.
Your setup does look good though!
Very surprised at the temps!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Is that setup using a single 120mm rad for the GPU..?
I've always thought that you needed at least a 240mm rad for the GPU and 360mm for the GPU+CPU.
Your setup does look good though!
Very surprised at the temps!
Yes I was surprised too. A 120mm rad is more than enough for the 1080 and being front mounted keeps it within 55C quietly. Idles at 22C, it's weird seeing such a low number for a change.

I wonder why the 220W GPU board power is so easily managed by the 120mm rad while CPUs are tough to keep cool at that TDP. I understand that the GPU chip itself only draws 70% of the board TDP, so I'm guessing it's cooler due the larger size of the chip as well.

Did some reading and a 240mm aio can bring the 1080 down to around 33C under load, just ridiculous.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yes I was surprised too. A 120mm rad is more than enough for the 1080 and being front mounted keeps it within 55C quietly. Idles at 22C, it's weird seeing such a low number for a change.

I wonder why the 220W GPU board power is so easily managed by the 120mm rad while CPUs are tough to keep cool at that TDP. I understand that the GPU chip itself only draws 70% of the board TDP, so I'm guessing it's cooler due the larger size of the chip as well.

Did some reading and a 240mm aio can bring the 1080 down to around 33C under load, just ridiculous.
I was thinking of going full on custom water cooling with a 360mm radiator, but if a 240 does fine, that seems a little tempting too 😂
Looks like I'm going to have to weigh some pros and cons :p

·
Registered
982 Posts
I was thinking of going full on custom water cooling with a 360mm radiator, but if a 240 does fine, that seems a little tempting too 😂
Looks like I'm going to have to weigh some pros and cons :p
The bigger the rad, the slower the heat increases and the quieter the fans. ;) I think 360 rads look awesome in cases as well. I would say 240mm would easily do the job for both if your CPU could theoretically survive on a 120/140 aio, but when you're stressing both the GPU temp will obviously be higher and lower the GPU boost clock.

Nice compact ATX with a big ol 360mm radiator would be my choice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The bigger the rad, the slower the heat increases and the quieter the fans. ;) I think 360 rads look awesome in cases as well. I would say 240mm would easily do the job for both if your CPU could theoretically survive on a 120/140 aio, but when you're stressing both the GPU temp will obviously be higher and lower the GPU boost clock.

Nice compact ATX with a big ol 360mm radiator would be my choice.
The thing is, I have to gut out the front panel and install the rad + fans there if I want to go that route.
I don't know if there's enough airflow :p

21 - 29 of 29 Posts