Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

My full specs are at the bottom of my comment.

Except my memory which is running at CL15 (as it was intended from the factory) and not CL14.

I also have 6 Noctua 3000RPM fans running at around 900RPM static, and another 6 fans from Lian Li (rgb) and NZXT.
I also have another HDD 3TB in the case (so 2x3TB in total) and also 1 external hdd plugged via USB.

Everything else is at stock, CPU, GPU...etc.

3 issues i had with my PC when it would just shut off and restart. One old issue and 2 more recent one.

1st issue was with the Gigabyte RGB Fusion software where if i had it running in the background it would shut my pc off so i stopped using it, and in general i hate RGB software, no matter who makes it.

2nd and third issue are the same for 2 different games. Titanfall 2 and Modern warfare. i can play Titanfall for 30min to 1 hour and i will have a crash, with MW i will have the crash in the second round of War Zone.

I also play Apex Legends (900h) and i have never seen any issues with that game.

Can it be that my PSU is not enough or is actually dying?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I agree with the above, make sure these are not STOP errors (BSOD). You can check the event viewer for log entries, or disable automatic restarting upon one happening, to confirm. Typically, an issue with the PSU would resort to it shutting down and not turning back on as opposed to restarting.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks, i will check my memory.

Also, i checked the event viewer and i have this error come up when i get the reboot:
The IO operation at logical block address 0x0 for Disk 5 (PDO name: \Device\0000005b) failed due to a hardware error.

Disk 5 is my old SSD Samsung 840 PRO, according to Samsung Magician its healthy.

I will see what is going on with the memory. Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep borked memory.

Thanks for your help wingman99 and Princess Garnet :) hope the store wont make a fuss about this and RMA it for me.

I specifically purchased this kit for Ryzen and this was the lowest CL with decent memory speed (3200) in 16GB sticks in my country. I payed a fortune for it 750NZD which is about 500USD at the moment, this was at the time that memory prices were super high.

I hope its still manufactured and they wont tell me that the best they can do is 3200MHZ and CL16 or similar.

Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Glad I could help you find the memory hardware fault. I hope you have good luck finding error free memory.:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi again.

I didn't want to create another post so would anyone help me choose the right PSU for my system?

Since my first post I have purchased a new kit of memory https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/shop/components/memory/desktop/gskill-trident-z-neo-rgb-32gb-4x8gb-ddr4-3800-cl14

Super happy with it but unlucky me, I still have issues with my system. Memory was probably faulty but now i'm convinced its the PSU and the next link is why: https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1752924-computer-shuts-down-unexpectedly-lost-hope-already.html

TLDR: when i lower my GPU to 50% power in Afterburner i have a stable system again. anything above 75%ish will crash the PC.

Now to the interesting part.

which PSU would you recommend?

I have my eye on these 2 but not sure as to their quality and should i go for 1200W Cooler Master or 1000W Corsair?
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/PSUCLM51200/Cooler-Master-V-series-1200-Platinum-1200W-80-Plus
https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/shop/components/power-supplies/desktop-psus/corsair-rm1000x-1000w-fully-modular-80-plus-gold-power-supply

Thanks a lot!

·
OG AMD
8,800 Posts
Between those 2 the CoolerMaster V1200 is better, even though it's fairly old design. Made by Seasonic though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's great news, I heard good things about Seasonic but I cant get them in my country.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I specifically purchased this kit for Ryzen and this was the lowest CL with decent memory speed (3200) in 16GB sticks in my country. I payed a fortune for it 750NZD which is about 500USD at the moment, this was at the time that memory prices were super high.
Yikes! As someone who stopped paying attention for a number of years (and has been educating myself on things since in the last half a year), I knew RAM wasn't as cheap throughout most of the DDR4 life cycle, but I never knew is was THAT expensive. I got 16 GB (DDR3) for sub-$100 (USD) in late 2011. For the same quantity to be that much more expensive years later is crazy. I just did an upgrade (CPU, motherboard, and RAM) and RAM was the most expensive part too. I'm sort of crying that you repurchased more expensive RAM and still have your problems.

As for the PSU, I can't say as I don't know what's good with those anymore. How come you're looking at ones with so much wattage though?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yikes! As someone who stopped paying attention for a number of years (and has been educating myself on things since in the last half a year), I knew RAM wasn't as cheap throughout most of the DDR4 life cycle, but I never knew is was THAT expensive. I got 16 GB (DDR3) for sub-$100 (USD) in late 2011. For the same quantity to be that much more expensive years later is crazy. I just did an upgrade (CPU, motherboard, and RAM) and RAM was the most expensive part too. I'm sort of crying that you repurchased more expensive RAM and still have your problems.

As for the PSU, I can't say as I don't know what's good with those anymore. How come you're looking at ones with so much wattage though?
Thanks for sharing :)

About the memory, I bought it knowing that this PC will last me for a long time with small upgrades in between. Same as before when I purchased i7 3770, HD7970 and 16GB of 1333MHZ RAM, I replaced that system about 2 years ago after serving me well for almost 6 years.
Unlucky for me I needed a new PC at the time when memory was crazy overpriced due to world wide shortage. So I bit the bullet and purchased the best memory I could within reason, I needed 32GB and I was looking at low latency and high speed and that was the only option in my country.

Lucky for me the store that I bought the memory from gave me a FULL refund of the overpriced memory 2 years later so I just invested that money into a different kit with much better specs. That said, I had to go for 4x8GB instead of 2x16GB. I hope in 2-4 years I wont regret it as I wont be able to upgrade the memory to 64GB.

As to the power supply, It seems as all my add-on's to my system are overwhelming my PSU (750W Gold) 850W is kinda still too close, 1000W and 1200W are similar prices and that's why I changed my original post for help choosing a decent PSU.

Hope that answers your questions :)

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Oh, wasn't really questioning your decision, was just making a comment that RAM prices were even higher at a time than I thought. I feel bad for your timing. I had 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz for ~$80 in very late 2011, and it lasted me until earlier this year (running out of RAM was actually the bigger thing that pushed me to upgrade and not my Core i5 2500K). So this time around I spent ~$300 but I got 64 GB, for the same reason as you, in the hopes it'd last me (and 16 GB wasn't enough so it was 32 GB minimum anyway). You look like you have faster RAM though; mine isn't anything fancy. But being refunded fully by the store is nice; usually after a certain period of time they'd tell you to go through the manufacturer with their warranty.

As for PSU, I thought you were doing so because I forgot that the "middle wattage" range of PSUs are having availability and pricing issues in many places. I just noticed you have a 3900X too. I have the same PSU you now have and think may be failing (mine is working wonderfully with a Ryzen 7 3700X, GeForce GTX 1060, four RAM modules, six storage drives [one in an SSD], etc.). IIRC it has a ten year warranty and wasn't released that long ago. Have you tried contacting EVGA?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im sure ill be able to get my 750W unit fixed or replaced but i dont think they will offer me to add some money for a bigger wattage unit (ill ask for sure).

https://imgur.com/ZP57m60

This is my system on the Wattage calculator, it actually says i need a 963W (lets say 1000W).

So i guess 1200W isn't as much as i thought it is.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Hm, you do have 50% more cores/threads on your CPU as well as a higher power demanding video card, but I really didn't think any single CPU/GPU setup should need anywhere near 1 kW+ PSUs. But get a second opinion and see if someone who knows more to suggest whether 750W would be good for that. If you're potentially having issues from reliability anyway it's worth considering if it's enough while you're at it. I just didn't anticipate it'd be an issue and IF it's not, you may as well take advantage of the warranty and replace it free of charge to save yourself any unneeded costs.

And yeah, I'm not sure they'd offer to buy your PSU back and let you upgrade at the cost difference. I think that used to be a thing with some GPU manufacturers but it was for a short time (like only if done xx amount of days after purchase). It's definitely not a standard thing and after all this time (and especially during these times) I wouldn't expect it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts