Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Old to Overclock.net
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have near future plans to get a fan controller and some more case fans to complete the cooling in my case, however some of the fans plugged into my mobo, namely my Enermax Magma 120mm has always been at about half speed or so and I've wanted to see just how loud it gets at full spin. It's rated to spin up to 1500rpm, but HWmonitor has always read it about 800 or so. Speedfan will only allow me to slow all the case fans down simultaneously and reads the RPM's at double what they actually are(speedfan sucks).

So I found one of my extra Zalman FAN MATE 2's and hooked it up to the Enermax. Full speed was actually lower than directly connected to the mobo and read like 700rpm's and low speed read as like 450rpm's in HWmonitor. I know this isn't right. It should be spinning up to 1500 at full speed. What gives?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Also, fans are RPM specs are listed at +/- 10%.

·
Old to Overclock.net
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried directly connecting it to a 4-pin molex with a 3-pin fan connector but I don't notice any airflow or noise differences. It sounds exactly the same connected to the mobo or the fan mate2.

And I think it is safe to say my fan is not spinning +/-10% of 1500rpm's. :|

EDIT: Sorry guys I just realized it might've been confusing when I stated it was 100rpm's less than full speed with the fan mate connected. What I meant was it was 100rpm's lower at full speed than it was connected to the mobo. So instead of 850rpm's, with the fan mate it reads it at like 700 rpms.

I edited my first post to clear the confusion.

·
Old to Overclock.net
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gyro
View Post

Have you tried setting chassis Q-fan to performance, or disabling it?
Either one should give you max rpm.
Gyro

I'm pretty sure it is disabled right now. Maybe I will try that to see what happens.

EDIT: Yep, disabled. And apparently my BIOS reads the RPM's WAY higher than HWmonitor does. Maybe speedfan was correct after all. I unplugged my Enermax and plugged it back in, BIOS read it at 1650rpms. Soooo... I guess they are all running at maximum speed?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts