Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished my new budget build but when I switch it on I get this message
"Reboot and select proper boot device. Or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

What does this mean?

On a side note there was a wire extending from the case labelled H.D.D. LED but there was no place on the mobo to put it and it wasn't mentioned in the mobo manual.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by trypwned
View Post

Check your HDD connection.

its connected to an SSD and the connection seems fine. Could it be that the SSD is faulty? Let me try it with a hard drive....

·
OCN
1,540 Posts
Make sure you got the right drive to be selected in the bios as well if you have multiple installed, or have a usb drive still plugged in.

*edit* Might need a fresh install, specially if that os was on an older setup of yours prior to this new setup.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Exactly what Fletch said. Make sure your boot drive with OS is the one (I'm presuming it's the 320gb) is selected as the primary boot drive in bios.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
If you're installing windows fresh, you need to boot the cd from the drive, not the hd.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I didn't make this clear. this isn't my sig rig. Currently I only have one Hard drive (which is the SSD). It's a new build so there's no operating system on it.

·
OCN
1,540 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjaburrito
View Post

Sorry I didn't make this clear. this isn't my sig rig. Currently I only have one Hard drive (which is the SSD). It's a new build so there's no operating system on it.

Well, looks like you figured out your problem =P

*edit* Unless drives come preloaded with os's now, its been a year or so since I've got a new drive =D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjaburrito
View Post

Then you need to boot from a OS install disc and install it to your SSD.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see. sorry for the confusion. When the first member commented I got confusing by thinking since it says "select proper boot drive" the HD might be faulty.

·
Registered
187 Posts
put windows 7 disc in disc drive go into bios or press whatever f key that changes your boot location.. select from disc and your on your way

1 - 15 of 15 Posts