Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 5750 sitting around for some time (3mths) and thought I'd re-enlist it's services into my HTPC previously running a GTX460.
(I've put the GTX460 into sig rig so it and the 470 can fold, and the plan was to get the 5750 folding in the HTPC too)

- I uninstalled all Nvidia drivers
- boot to safe mode; ran driver sweeper
- Removed 460 & installed 5750

PC turns on, lasts for about 60secs (same if I'm go to BIOS or let it try boot to Windows) then screen goes blank and that red LED turns on - just up near where the crossfire bit is.

- shutdown, unplugged, press and hold power button to discharge.
- reseated card
- CMOS reset
- unplugged HDMI and plugged in d-sub

still same error...

Anything else I'm missing?

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
If it's near the front, it signifies that overtemp protection has kicked in.

Or at least, this was the case on a Sapphire 4850 that I had.

A red LED at the rear signified a PCIe power problem.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it's down the back = power problem...
Strange indeed, cause the that rig was folding 24/7 with the GTX460 up until like me putting the 5750 in.
Reckon the ATI card has died?

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Did you plug in PCIe power?

If yes, try another plug.

The only time I got the overtemp protection LED was when a mobo got fried.

Had a client's computer displaying blanks, and I was wondering what's going on.
Turned out that the mobo was bust.
Replaced it, and voila. Got the display back on, and the overtemp LED no longer lit up.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep
Yep, just tried 2xMolex to PCIe power
In case it was overheat threshold thing, just then I even pulled it apart to re-apply TIM (just noticed my last job looked a bit sloppy and some TIM was smudged on the chip around where those wee tiny little things on the die.)

So just to confirm which LED is lighting up, I'm saying back which depends on which way you look at it... it's a the end toward the display ports.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Towards the ports would mean the overtemp LED.

If that card was able to display BIOS, I think you've got a TIM application problem.

Did this happen before you applied TIM?

Let me guess, the events in chronological order:

Get card, run it, OK.
Remove, re-apply TIM, and then store it.
Take it out for use today; oh crap it's not working.

Did you test it after re-application, or simply stored it?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
re-application was done when I first bought it (pretty much standard practice for me), it was running fine for about six months after that, so don't the the slop job was a factor. Went into storage cause I got sick of waiting for [email protected] to give ATI support, so bought the 460 as replacement.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by to_the_zenith View Post
re-application was done when I first bought it (pretty much standard practice for me), it was running fine for about six months after that, so don't the the slop job was a factor. Went into storage cause I got sick of waiting for [email protected] to give ATI support, so bought the 460 as replacement.
What TIM did you use? I know that some of the cheaper ones can separate after some time. It might be a TIM failure.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually here's a though for something I did to the card while it's been sitting on my desk... I had some spare ram sinks from when I put some on the GTX460, so put the spares on this thing.
5mins I'll see if ripping them off does anything.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
- TIM was AS5.
- yeah got another rig, that'll be next port of call... its the one I just threw the 460 into on another thread I posted earlier on getting card to work in PCIe1x slot.

For testing you reckon I will need to go to the effort of re-install drivers, yadda, yadda? Or just boot in safe mode to check its working.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Try that.

If the sinks exceeded by a little they could have bridged a contact, thus causing a short.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
Try that.

If the sinks exceeded by a little they could have bridged a contact, thus causing a short.
The RAM sinks could have been the issue. AS5 is good stuff so as long as you didn't over apply that couldn't be an issue.

If you try it a different computer I would bot it like normal and see if it has the same issue.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmmm... on the right track with thermals now. Cant see how the ramsinks would affect it all that much, but after removal of them the screen stayed on for almost three mins this time.
Okay pulling HSF off again for another inspection.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SUCCESS!!
My last job of TIM app just before must've been a rushed job and didn't help the situation.
Although the TIM had good coverage, I was only using a jewellers screw driver to tighten; must've not been getting proper contact. re-re-applied TIM and used a proper screw driver this time; working like a charm again.

Thanks for your help guys; rep+1 for both of you

1 - 17 of 17 Posts