Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes that's right. When i stress my HD 5870, the display becomes wavy. I see wave like horizontal distortions but they don't corrupt the image, more like transparent. This also happens in games. What do you think is the problem and is there a solution for this?

Edit: Everything looks fine in 2D or in light 3D applications.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That is probably why, it is a VGA connection, and especially running at high res it can distort video when there is high movement or alot of variation in color data. There are pixel settings for VGA output you should see if you can find.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I use a DVI to VGA adapter also as my monitor also has a VGA input only. I've stressed my card and such millions of times, and played millions of games on it without it messing up. I'd check the temps and see what they are when the lines appear.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty85 View Post
That is probably why, it is a VGA connection, and especially running at high res it can distort video when there is high movement or alot of variation in color data. There are pixel settings for VGA output you should see if you can find.
But waves also appear when i stress the card using ATI Tool. There isn't any high movement or a lot of variation in color data in it. I ran ATI Tool minimized so there wasn't a lot going on the screen but waves kept appearing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hrm, got a subwoofer or anything magnetic like a CRT monitior/TV near the thing, that can interfere with the signal.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krossfyre View Post
I use a DVI to VGA adapter also as my monitor also has a VGA input only. I've stressed my card and such millions of times, and played millions of games on it without it messing up. I'd check the temps and see what they are when the lines appear.
Temps don't play a role in this i guess because they're very low when the problems occurs.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty85 View Post
Hrm, got a subwoofer or anything magnetic like a CRT monitior/TV near the thing, that can interfere with the signal.
Well yeah my subwoofer is right near the GPU. Sayy maybe 10-15cm close to the GPU. Do you think it can cause this? Actually makes sense, let me change its location...

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have my monitor hooked up via DVI to VGA converter and I have never had such a problem.

It's one of two things. It's either your video card or it's your monitor.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Oh, I see you flashed your 5870. You sure everything went okay?

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
I had an aging LCD, which started to show the same things. Wavy lines in 3D which was especially visible when the screen was black. Replaced the monitor, problem was gone.

• Rep+
Reactions: Nautilus

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meta-Prometheus
View Post

Oh, I see you flashed your 5870. You sure everything went okay?

Yes it went fine. Flashing successfully completed, i restarted pc, installed drivers and played games without problems.

Quote:

Stupid question, you should have 2x DVI, try switching the ports.

I did that but both ports gave me same result.

Hey there's an ancient CRT in my house. Let me try it..

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoma_Andy
View Post

I had an aging LCD, which started to show the same things. Wavy lines in 3D which was especially visible when the screen was black. Replaced the monitor, problem was gone.

I hope it is related to monitor andy. I don't want my beloved card to end up being defective...

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salty85
View Post

Try also lowering the res to the lowest avalible and see if the problem is still there.

Allright. It was this god damn LG Monitor. CRT was fine @ stressing no waves whatsoever... I did what u asked, waves are appearing at 800x600 and 1680x1050 so yeah not related to resolution.

It has been only 1,5 years since i bought this monitor and look what it is doing now.

Thank you Salty 85,Andy,Prometheus and Krossfyre.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The problem is is electro-magnetic interference. Try to run the VGA cable as far away from other cables as possible, especially power cables. You don't want the video cable anywhere near power cables. If you absolutely have to cross a power cable and a signal cable(like a video cable), you should run the two perpendicular so they form an 'X'. The worst thing you can do is run the video cable parallel to a power cable.

Your video cable could also be picking up interference from your computer if it is poorly shielded. If re-arranging your cables does not help, this is another place to look.

You can buy a higher quality VGA cable with better shielding, but if you are going to spend money I think it would be better to invest in a new LCD with a digital connection(DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, etc). You will get a much sharper picture with an LCD if you use a digital connection, and you won't get any interference.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts