Overclock.net banner

[solved]New M.2 drive not showing up ??

655 Views 12 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Kaltenbrunner
I have an msi pro z690-A DDR4, w/ a M.2 drive in slot 1, and all 4/4 sata slots are used. So I installed a TeamGroup 2TB NVMe into 1 of the other 3 remaing slots, and not the slower M/2 slot.

I think it's sitting in there correctly, I used the screw and it more or less locked in.

In BIOS I don't see any setting to change. Up in win10, it's not in file explorer or the Disk management list.

What else could be wrong ? Usually working drives show up automatically.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Senior OCN Member
46,425 Posts
Check and see if its all the way into the M.2 connector sometimes you think its all the way in and its not
Does it show up in the BIOS?

· Cheesebumps!!
3,802 Posts
check Disk Management if you are using windows..you might need to initiate the new drive and format it from there..

if it ain't showing in device manager then you probably ran out of PCI-E lanes? Motherboard limitation or configuration?

· Senior OCN Member
46,425 Posts
check Disk Management if you are using windows..you might need to initiate the new drive and format it..
He already stated its now showing up in disk management

· Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'll double check BIOS, to see if I can choose it for boot. Otherwise I'll re-seat it again

I have 12700k, my 512GB NVMe feeds into those lanes.

I see a few people on amazon saying it also didn't show up on all machines, I'll know soon, it's a
TEAMGROUP MP33 2TB SLC Cache 3D NAND TLC NVMe 1.3 PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280

· Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah it is showing up in BIOS, my main drive is in slot 1, this new 1 is in slot 4, and slot 3 is the slower slot

I have a real win10 copy, so IDK what drivers I might try to update. IDK if there's any on the TG homepage

· Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok I think windows just had to reboot, because now when I opened DM, it asked right away which format for this drive, and it's "GPT 100%, MBR is for older versions of windows and legacy partitions"

Ok I did that, but I still don't see it listed in DM or winEX ????

· Cheesebumps!!
3,802 Posts
ok I think windows just had to reboot, because now when I opened DM, it asked right away which format for this drive, and it's "GPT 100%, MBR is for older versions of windows and legacy partitions"

no need to install any additional drivers, after choosing between GPT and MBR you should be able to format and be able to see it (assuming Windows did assign a drive letter for that partition)

· Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well I did update windows, and I've restarted a couple of times. It says the relevant drivers are up to date.
But I still don't see any drive or partition of that 2TB drive in disk management, and yeah I never assigned a letter, I clicked ok on GPT format, and that was it. I don't see any option or anything, relating to a new drive.

It's in BIOS, and in device manager. And says it's working properly with up to date drivers. It doesn't list any size or used volume etc, in device manager tho.

What else could be wrong ??

· Senior OCN Member
46,425 Posts
Take the drive out and try another M.2 slot if it does the same it might have some sort of problem and you will need to return it if thats the case
Try the drive in another PC if you can borrow someone´s PC for testing that is if you dont have a second PC youself

· Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Before I try that, I'll update my BIOS and MB drivers. In device manager, I could see the correct volume and stats, I just had to hit populate.

What ever is wrong, is probably something minor, between win10, my mobo, and this

OK following another guide, in cmd shell, in Disk Partition, it's in there, and now I'm formatting it to NFTS and giving it a label, then it better work.

· Registered
4,350 Posts

Initialising the drive just lets Windows know that it can be used. You need to create a partition on it and format it as NTFS for it to actually show up as a usable drive. Once initialised, right click the region that says "Unallocated" and select "New Simple Volume" then follow the instructions.

· Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok it's working now, except......IT'S HORRENDOUSLY SLOW at some stuff. I copied a 5.6GB folder from my HP ex920 512GB NVMe, to it, and it spent a fair bit of time at 100's of kiloB/s, not MB/s, I saw 120kB/s and a lot of 200's.

My old crucial MX500 1TB did the same thing about about 2-3 times faster, and never went under 2MB/s

Well at least copying movies back or forth, is near instantaneous. For a 1.5GB movie, it didn't even show a progress box, it's just done.

Copied a 10GB folder of programs, that goes a lot faster than to the MX500.

But so what games then ??? I just got a Conan the Barbarian game, not realizing it's huge, like 121GB. Will I see game performance be slow and choppy ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts