Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I was all excited for spring break because my GTX260 Core 216 just arrived, I got done with week's worth of exams and had no plans to go anywhere. I put my computer together with the GTX260 and my Corsair HX520 and started playing Mass Effect. It was fine when I put it together, fine for the next few hours and then sometime around 10:30PM, when I was on the Normandy, sexin' up the women on my ship, my screen went black.

At first I thought "Damn you ATi driver remnants!" then I saw that my computer had completely turned off. Not only was it turned off, but the motherboard power LED was off. I took the PSU out (which required removing my motherboard as well because my case sucks...might as well recommend one of those, too), did the paper clip test and confirmed its death. RMA filed with Corsair after using it for more than three years. Not bad I say. I'll just sell the replacement.

So now I am here in search of advice. It's been two years since I last cared about power supplies. For the most part, the answer I usually gave was "Buy a Corsair" when anyone asked. I'm a fan of Corsair because they have good service and a good warranty. I've RMAed a VX450 to them and they got me a replacement within the week. I don't have a week. If I wait a week, engineering work is going to hit me like a Maglev and I will have no time to play games.

So at this point...Corsair TX650? TX750? Seasonic? I'd like to keep it around $120 and it will be purchased from Fry's Electronics because the store prices are not much different from online any more. Plus, I get it the day of and can start working on it. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
The HX520W is still a good unit and plenty for your system (suspiciously similar to mine
). Maybe there was a short that killed it? Dunno. Corsairs do go bad on occasion.

Right now the Antec True Power New PSUs are looking very good. It's too bad your PSU didn't fry a few weeks ago, there was a sale plus promo code plus rebate on the TPNs at Newegg so there were some *fantastic* deals. Even without all that though they're still quite good and well priced.

The SeaSonic S12E 650W was a pretty good deal a while back, but it's no longer in stock anywhere. The SeaSonic M12II 520W should be great for your rig. It has modular cables and is $99 at Newegg.

That's what I'd be looking at.

• Rep+
Reactions: RallyMaster

·
Registered
953 Posts
A beefier Corsair in your price range isn't a bad choice. It's a great one imo.

I think P182s are cheap on Newegg right now, if you want to check that out. (It's a case <<)

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Quote:
I'd like to keep it around $120 and it will be purchased from Fry's Electronics because the store prices are not much different from online any more
I just looked at online PSs at Frys and I'd suggest getting another Corsair.

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the advice folks. I went to Fry's and was comparing power supplies and found that the internals of the TX650 looked almost exactly like the HX620, which is obviously almost the same as my HX520 but beefier, both of which are based on a Seasonic platform. Knowing this, I bought the TX650. My computer breathes once again.

Definitely a happy clam again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts