Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as some of you may know im building a rig for my sister for xmas.

I started building this morning and plugged in HDD, RAM, CPU + GPU (barebone) and when I press the power button the LEDs Flash, the Cathodes turn on........the Fans power but the monitor doesnt do anything.

It doesnt even say "No Signal" like they usually do when something is wrong


What could this be?

Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,669 Posts
is it plugged into the mobo when the GPU is in?

try taking the GPU out and using the mobo plug.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:


Originally Posted by tUDJ
View Post

is it plugged into the mobo when the GPU is in?

try taking the GPU out and using the mobo plug.

This Mobo dont have onboard graphics
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just tried the RAM in my rig...........works perfectly. Also tried 3 different AGP cards I have and still the same thing...........


Its very weird as the monitor does not say "No Signal" it just doesnt do anything..............


I works perfectly when I plug it back into mine
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:


Originally Posted by frostbite
View Post

Reset the cmos

Done that by shorting the jumpers with a screw driver for 5secsonds but Im about to take the batt out............how long is it again? 15minutes?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:


Originally Posted by SpookedJunglist
View Post

Trya minimum start up. One stick of ram your video card and a keyboard. No USB devices. If that works start adding stuff one by one. Add USB items after you have installed the drivers. Unless it is a mouse.

All that is plugged in is

HDD
CPU + Cooler
GPU
1 Stick o' Ram

Cables - Power + VGA


I think I will try running it outta the case unless its a shorting issue............
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:


Originally Posted by Mad_Handlez89
View Post

All that is plugged in is

HDD
CPU + Cooler
GPU
1 Stick o' Ram

Cables - Power + VGA


I think I will try running it outta the case unless its a shorting issue............

Its not the case.............I just run it outside the case with the same problem...........Im think its a dead mobo...........
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:


Originally Posted by RickJS
View Post

Uhh....I don't know...Maybe make sure you selected the right setting with the monitor?

Its nothing to do with the monitor, when I plug the monitor cable + power back into my rig it boots up perfect................man this is so annoying cause it doesnt say "No Signal" like it did when my old motherboard WAS faulty.............

Is there anyway I can test for a faulty Mobo?

I need to have this working by christmas!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,743 Posts
I have had bad IDE cables have you tried it without the harddrive? A bad cable shorts things out and doesn't show you anything. If that still doesn't initialize the display then try reseating the video card. If that doesnt work it could be the mobo. Have you tried swapping things around? like test the ram on another system.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:


Originally Posted by SpookedJunglist
View Post

I have had bad IDE cables have you tried it without the harddrive? A bad cable shorts things out and doesn't show you anything. If that still doesn't initialize the display then try reseating the video card. If that doesnt work it could be the mobo. Have you tried swapping things around? like test the ram on another system.

I have tried everything I can think off

I have tried running without HDDs, new IDEs Everything!

Tried RAM in my rig - Worked
Tried HDD in my rig - Worked
Tried GPU in my rig - Worked
Tried AGP GPU in this rig - Nothing.......
Havent swapped CPU as I dont have anything to swap it with


It wouldnt be the PSU would it?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:


Originally Posted by SpookedJunglist
View Post

It could be. try swapping it into the other rig as well. just keep on trucking untill you can single it down to either the mobo or cpu. Then you need to RMA one of the two. I would try the motherboard first.

I bought this from enterprise1707 - Can I stil RMA it? And would it be back in time for Chistmas?


I tried a 450W PSU with it and nothing so its definatly the CPU or Mobo...........

I could test the CPU in my mum P4 rig but its still under warrenty...........
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,743 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Mad_Handlez89
View Post

I bought this from enterprise1707 - Can I stil RMA it? And would it be back in time for Chistmas?


I tried a 450W PSU with it and nothing so its definatly the CPU or Mobo...........

I could test the CPU in my mum P4 rig but its still under warrenty...........

You bought the cpu and the mobo from enterprise?

Also recheck your case switches. If one of them is bad then it wont turn on.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top