Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow overclockers.
There's a "mother" post (Or rather, what caused this thread to exist), because this is going out of the scope of the previous thread) if you want more background.

*super stimulating music*
I am on the quest to reach a place few has seen, and even fewer came back to tell about it...
I want to *music scratches to a stop* overclock my AMD Phenom II X6 1055T to 4.0GHz and more if possible.

My adventure bag contains:
Corsair Hydro H80 sealed liquid cooling
8 or 16GB 1600MHz Corsair XMS3 RAM chips (I own two sets like that, I run one right now, see previous post if you want to know why)
ASUS mA487TD/USB3 Evo stuff thing Motherboard
Antec Darkfleet DF-35 mid case
Antec TruePower 650W Power Supply
The highest stable I have in my OC profile is that one:
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2509945

Higher than that does POST, but I get the multicolor BIOS/Corrupt Bios message/Thing/Etc/yellow dots-filled pre-windows boot freeze/name it.
I chickened out after 3 "corrupt bios" and reverted to my last stable (see OC validation link).

I suspect my motherboard to be insufficient.
Last picture of my settings was this one:

I'm open to suggestion and I seriously need help there.

Main post update:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarnix View Post

Okay guys, Sorry for the lack of updates lately. I put my other set of old ram back in, and proceeded to re-read the thread from the start. here's the result so far:

Thanks for the help of who I didn't thank, and sorry for not answering to crucial posts.
@Mezmenir: I don't have tRFC settings for my ram
EDIT: I know it's a lot of Vcore, but I gotta do what I gotta do, eh? Once I can prove it's stable, I'll lower the voltages.
I'm running at very very loose timings (9/9/9/30/40/2T)
EDIT2: I will have to change my push/pull orientation. it's blowing heat inside the case and my temps are waving between 29 and 43
EDIT3: Self-test 8K OK

·
Registered
640 Posts
So 3.9 corrupts the bios but 3.8 is fine? Have you tried using the 13x CPU multiplier and overclocking with that. Sometimes odd multipliers overclock better. Did you find your max bus frequency? IMHO I think you need more VCore. Did you try the 3.9 @ 1.5V? Also from reading the 1055T owners club you may need to up your CPU-NB speed to 2400mhz+ from the ~2200mhz you have it at now. I would suggest upping CPU-NB speed and voltage at a stable oc as to not introduce anymore variables.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGF Derp View Post

@ 282 what are your voltages at? NB, VCore, CPU-NB?
Doesn't say on the valid link?
Vcore 1.464
NB 1.2
CPU-NB 1.15

Yay, I'm actually killing my PSU.
the PSU calculator says that I'm using 770w at 100% load.
650+80 = 730. crap.

·
Turtle Lives Matter
4,807 Posts
I highly suspect it is overstressing the memory controller with the 4 dimms installed.

Drop the DRAM frequency as low as it will go, and keep the timings loose like 9-9-9-30-40-2T until you get your CPU frequency stable, then go back and optimize memory. Raise CPU-NB to like 1.35V or so as needed.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by damric View Post

I highly suspect it is overstressing the memory controller with the 4 dimms installed.
Drop the DRAM frequency as low as it will go, and keep the timings loose like 9-9-9-30-40-2T until you get your CPU frequency stable, then go back and optimize memory. Raise CPU-NB to like 1.35V or so as needed.
noting that.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2510355 There, here's my current max.
Not stable, though.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Turtle Lives Matter
4,807 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by damric View Post

3975MHz. That's really good.
Bah, I still get BSOD anywhere above 3.5GHz. I've been trying to slipstream a windows 7 iso today. it's my 4th attempt at it. Stupid BSOD
frown.gif

At 3975, Prime95 fails after 3 minutes. So that's just a suicide run. it eventually BSOD'd by itself at idle when I was away.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MHmm. So lately I spent more time rebooting and fiddling with the BIOS than actually enjoying my system. I just reverted to stock clocks but ram at 1600MHz, 4 sticks in. I haven't run in any BSOD since.
Slow, but stable (2.8GHz)
Perhaps it was the memory controller? 2 sticks runs fine-ish at 3.8GHz, but 4 sticks not well at all at 3.51GHz.

Is there anything I can do without risk of causing wear on my new ram chips?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My max overclock with the Phenom II x6 1055t is 4.3GHZ.It wasn't completely stable it crashed when the cpu reached 80-90% usage.
But I can have it perfectly stable at 4032(288x14) that's a little higher that what yours can do.
In my motherboard I have all of the settings of the TPU and EPU set to the highest value.And also I have increased the voltage of the NB and the CPU.
I also lowered the memory to 1333 and then manually set the timings back to 7-9-7-24.

I think that they could reach higher clocks on water I may go water cooling next year so then I'll know.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, something on my system doesn't allow to go that far. I think the memory controller definitely is the case. Probably the power supply too, or just plainly the cheap power regulators/motherboard.

·
Watercooler
3,367 Posts
Why don't you keep the FSB at 200 and put a 20x multiplier?
Place the Vcore @ 1.45V and work your way up or down until stable, not all chips can be expected to achieve 4Ghz.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Because this is impossible.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
IIRC the 1055T isn't a black edition chip, and therefore doesn't have a 20x multiplier.

300*13.5 seems to work the best for a 4Ghz run, especially if the NB can also do 3Ghz reliably.

Edit: @OP, does your board have problems with 300 FSB? If so, under the memory controller settings, set tRFC(DCT0) and tRFC(DCT1) to 160ns. 1600CL9 DIMMs generally cause this to default to 110ns.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezmenir View Post

IIRC the 1055T isn't a black edition chip, and therefore doesn't have a 20x multiplier.
300*13.5 seems to work the best for a 4Ghz run, especially if the NB can also do 3Ghz reliably.
I'm curious to see what voltages/values would allow me to do that. So far, the box won't POST at FSB above 292

·
Watercooler
3,367 Posts
Ok then sorry, have you tried upping the voltage to say 1.55V? and lowering from there, maybe a core is holding you back. Have you tried increasing your CPU/NB to 2.6Ghz?

1 - 20 of 137 Posts