Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want free, pretty, and easy to use. What's the best Distro out right now? Fedora?
Must be 64-Bit

EDIT: I now use 64-Bit Ubuntu! Thanks to all who helped!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angmaar View Post
Ubuntu is pretty easy to use.
+1 Ubuntu works pretty well out of the box and is a great distro to start with.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need 64-bit, editing OP

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
Fedora, openSUSE, mint, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, xubuntu

Those are the "regular" ones that are relatively painless to install and use. I own and have running (mostly in virtualbox) all of these and all offer x86_64 versions(which I use). Of these, I would recommend openSUSE or Fedora.

edit: I have heard some good things about sabayon. I have never used it (always used gentoo which it is based on). It is supposed to make a source based install easier.

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
Ubuntu.

• Rep+
Reactions: KSIMP88

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Ubuntu is probably hands down the easiest OS to use, my pc illiterate mother was able to use it all on her own which is really saying something.

Its also very well supported which is also a huge plus in my book.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Ubuntu is free, pretty, and easy to use. But it's also getting to be really bloated.

Fedora is a better pick IMO. It's both a bit easier and a bit harder than Ubuntu depending on what you're doing. But I like it more.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
It really is each to their own - I hated Fedora (well, only tried the latest one), as it felt as bloaty as the WinXP I was trying to replace. But it's really down to personal preference - great thing that Linux is free, so you can try them all!

Even better, is that Ubuntu & Fedora (and I think Mint as well) all work off LiveCDs, so you can try it out without installing it, or even having a spare PC (you can use your main PC safely with a liveCD)

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Ubuntu can also run off of a LiveCD the same way Mint can, personally i had a bunch of issues with Mint and when it did work it didn't seem as smooth as Ubuntu.

·
I TeK things...
17,433 Posts
I have tried Ubuntu and Xubuntu and I have found them to be a pleasure to work with, this is coming from a total Windows head.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I like my 64 bit ubuntu.

And as for ugly, any linux can be customized to just about anything you want.

mine:

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Downloading Ubuntu! I'll set it up for 20GB

·
Registered
886 Posts
Ubuntu is nice, Kubuntu is also nice but i feel with the new KDE, u need a stronger pc, i havnt messed with Fedora for ages, but that is also a nice distro. i really like that ubuntu and kubuntu are small in size, 700mb, but that could change any time.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Just get linux Mint
Its basically ubuntu that doesnt look like crap that comes with things like codecs and flash preinstalled.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts