Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this "high quality" Seasonic PSU exactly because my old Rosewill was showing 12v ripple. Turns out this one has even more ripple. That's something like 4x the ATX spec, if I'm not mistaken. Am I reading something wrong, or making a mistake somewhere?
LL

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
That isn't ripple. You need an oscilloscope to see ripple. That's just a graph of voltage over time, using software voltage monitoring which is highly erratic and rarely accurate or precise.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

That isn't ripple. You need an oscilloscope to see ripple. That's just a graph of voltage over time, using software voltage monitoring which is highly erratic and rarely accurate or precise.

Correct... ripple happens in milliseconds and a multimeter is doesn't poll fast enough (even if it did, you wouldn't be able to read it).

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I guess I should have asked about this before I bought a new power supply. Ah well. Thanks for clearing things up, everyone.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
It's in his specs; SS-500ET.

If you wanted to be sure you could use a multimeter; they're about $20 at Walmart.

The SS series' voltage stability (how much average voltage changes under load) isn't all that fantastic since it's a group regulated design. However its ripple suppression is fairly good for PSUs in that range, so there's less wear on your components.

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post

If you wanted to be sure you could use a multimeter; they're about $20 at Walmart.

The SS series' voltage stability (how much average voltage changes under load) isn't all that fantastic since it's a group regulated design. However its ripple suppression is fairly good for PSUs in that range, so there's less wear on your components.
EDIT2: I'm an ....

thanks, Phaedrus

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post

Won't a lack of voltage stability equal a lack of system stability, or does it not matter that much?

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
You shouldn't see instability unless you go out of spec, or occasionally if you're within spec but near borderline.

The software reading he's getting isn't very good, but, ya' know, none of the software voltage monitors is very good, and the OCCT one isn't even one of the better ones. I give them about as much credence as a fortune teller machine. Unless he confirms with a digital multimeter that the voltage is dropping that much then I wouldn't be concerned at all; and even if it is dropping that much it isn't horrible, just mediocre and disappointing for a SeaSonic.

EDIT: Actually, OCCT is reported that he's occasionally dipping below spec, or 11.6V. If that's the case that's pretty bad. But as I said, it's inaccurate and I wouldn't put any stock in it unless you confirm with the aforementioned, much vaunted, that instrument of 73h g0ds, the digital multimeter.

• Rep+
Reactions: Conley

·
Premium Member
25,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

You shouldn't see instability unless you go out of spec, or occasionally if you're within spec but near borderline.

The software reading he's getting isn't very good, but, ya' know, none of the software voltage monitors is very good, and the OCCT one isn't even one of the better ones. I give them about as much credence as a fortune teller machine. Unless he confirms with a digital multimeter that the voltage is dropping that much then I wouldn't be concerned at all; and even if it is dropping that much it isn't horrible, just mediocre and disappointing for a SeaSonic.

EDIT: Actually, OCCT is reported that he's occasionally dipping below spec, or 11.6V. If that's the case that's pretty bad. But as I said, it's inaccurate and I wouldn't put any stock in it unless you confirm with the aforementioned, much vaunted, that instrument of 73h g0ds, the digital multimeter.

11.4v

Conley

Look at mine, no stability issues.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion
View Post

11.4v

Conley

Look at mine, no stability issues.

Dur, brain fart. 11.4V-12.6V, and 11.64V-12.36V preferred.

• Rep+
Reactions: Conley
1 - 15 of 15 Posts