Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been at this for 8 hours + now and its 3am. I went and made a quick image to show what I'm trying to achieve to help give an idea.

When the access point is directly hooked up to the htpc, it can ping and web config the access point. When the AP is hooked up to the router, the htpc, cant ping or web config it. But the htpc can web config the router.

Is it the settings for obtain ip automatically? Should I assign static ip's to the router and access point and htpc all different as well right?

I know the wireless router is working because I'm using my laptop wirelessly to troubleshoot the htpc in the living room and all my other wireless gadgets see my wireless router except the htpc.

EDIT:
Add an image of what I'm trying to achieve.

Update: So I been at it for another few hours and made some progress. I can have both the access point and the lan router hooked up to the htpc and web config and ping them. But, I'm not getting a signal from my wireless router.

Should I have the access point in "Access Point Mode", "AP Client Mode", or "Repeater Mode"

·
Registered
391 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sistum Id
View Post

I've been at this for 8 hours + now and its 3am. I went and made a quick image to show what I'm trying to achieve to help give an idea.

When the access point is directly hooked up to the htpc, it can ping and web config the access point. When the AP is hooked up to the router, the htpc, cant ping or web config it. But the htpc can web config the router.

Is it the settings for obtain ip automatically? Should I assign static ip's to the router and access point and htpc all different as well right?

I know the wireless router is working because I'm using my laptop wirelessly to troubleshoot the htpc in the living room and all my other wireless gadgets see my wireless router except the htpc.

I suppose that the DHCP server is the WRT54G router. In this case, the net should work if the BEFCMU10 were a hub or a switch (you don't need a router in that place). What tipe of device is BEFCMU10 ? I searched on google and the BEFCMU10 code is relative to a Linksys Cable Modem...

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by pippolo
View Post

I suppose that the DHCP server is the WRT54G router. In this case, the net should work if the BEFCMU10 were a hub or a switch (you don't need a router in that place). What tipe of device is BEFCMU10 ? I searched on google and the BEFCMU10 code is relative to a Linksys Cable Modem...

Yeah, I had the labels switched around on my image.

Update: So I been at it for another few hours and made some progress. I can have both the access point and the lan router hooked up to the htpc and web config and ping them. But, I'm not getting a signal from my wireless router.

Should I have the access point in "Access Point Mode", "AP Client Mode", or "Repeater Mode"

I have it as AP Client mode now but my htpc still cant see it.

When I setup AP Client mode, it ask for the LAN MAC address for the remote router. It will scan and find my wireless router at 80% or so. I add it and it ask to setup a password, only option it gives me is WEP and WPA personal. I ran a WPA2 personal. So I use WPA personal with the same phrase as my wireless router and than the MAC address is hi lited in red. I goto the security for the AP and change it to WPA2 and it goes to blue.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If my wireless router starting IP is 192.168.1.100 with a max of 50 for DHCP users. That means any access points, routers, laptops, and printers are assigned IP address automaticlly/manually, they will have/need an IP address between 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150 correct?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so I spent all day at work and on my G1 researching on how to do this. My whole network can now see each other. Only problem, is my HTPC cant get on the internet. My HTPC can see other wireless items such as my laptops, phones, and printers but no internet. Any idea?

Okay nevermind I got it.... thanks everyone for support...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts